INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Best Shooters?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Shooters?
« on: August 03, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Hey Everybody--I think that I am of the same opinion as most everybody else on here and that is that all these old bows need shooting!!Of the Vintage Bear Bows which ones do ya'll think are the best "Shooters"
thanks, Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Shooters?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
My experience is limmited to Kodiaks and Grizzlies of the mid 50s to early 60s era but my favorites are the 57 Kodiak and the 62 Kodiak with the nod going to the 62K.  

I recently acquired a 62" 59 Kodiak Special that shoots right there with them.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
My favorite is the 57 Kodiak, followed by the 64 Kodiak.

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
1964 Kodiak's are very fast and smooooooth! Someday I will find my left hand 43#er
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
I have not shot that 57 Kodiak, but believe with all the praise it gets, I would like to.

Since we are making lists, here's mine...

1. 62 Kodiak
2. 63 Kodiak
3. 59 Kodiak special
4. 59 Kodiak

I know that 60 is also supposed to be a winner, but have not had the chance to see how good.
Lon Scott

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
Hi Lon,  Did you ever get that article published for the Wa Bowhunters?  

the "most collectible" one ?  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
Daryl,

pm sent.
Lon Scott

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
I love the '59s: Grizzly, 64" Kodiak Special and 64" Kodiak (all close, but in that order) however...

the 64" '57 Kodiak does 'it' for me.

To be completely fair though, I haven't shot a '64... anyone want to loan me one?   :biglaugh:    :jumper:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
Meant to add that though the '59s aren't screamers, they sure are sweet.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
Lon

I always heard the the consensus isthe the '64 and '59 Kodiaks arethe best shooting hunting bows that Beaer ever made.

I can't speak to the '59 because I have never rshot one.

I have the '63, '64, '65, & '66 models.

I favor the '63 Dogleg and the '64.  Now a lot of it is personal preference and how a particular mode lfitrs a particular individual.  Also, there will be some variation in individual bows of the same model year.

Mike Shaw.

You have dropped your weight requirement for the LH '64 Kodiak to 43# as you stated bove..  You had previously stated that you wanted a 45#.

If you will drop your requirements by just 1# more, I still have the 42# Leftie hanging on my wall that you turned down.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
Jack..Its that old age stuff you know  :confused:  Jack..any stress lines or holes? send me a pm with a price you have in mind. Oh man here we go Sue is going to shoot me!
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
I must be a cheapskate. I have a tigercat that shoots as well for me as any of my other Bear bows.

Offline KENDALL TECHAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
I really like the 64" 57 Kodiak I recently picked up. Like my 60 Grizz too. Both are 50#.The 57 Kodiak has better cast. The Grizz is quieter.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
Maybe you can "Jump the string" Mike....How fast is her bow?  

Trap

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 02:23:00 AM »
I like the long risers found on the 1962 Kodiaks....
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 03:12:00 AM »
1960 Grizzly and from what I remember many years ago the 1962 Grizzly and 1962 Kodiak, I can vouch for the 60 griz cause I have one, smooth and quiet bow, quietest curve I own, and I own some high end bows,LOL. I will let you know about the two 62's as I have one of each coming.

That is my experience with the Bear bows except for a late 80's early 90's Custom td which I owned for a while, nice smoothe bow also.

I did have a 56 or 57 Kodiak Special for a while but it had a bunch of hand shock and donated it to a good cause.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
:pray:
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
Yeah you better not risk it      ;)     That "hits what she is shooting at" part would  kinda scare me.

Trap

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
I've been reading along..and I would like to add one of the best shooting bows ever built....one of the smoothest to draw..but not one of the fastest bows ever manufactured...but again it's one of the most forgiving of all bows ever...(little slower arrow speed makes a good shooting bow..more forgiving) .OK I'll get to my point,it's the one the only often copied but never duplacated the real deal all meat and no filler...shot and loved by 1,000 to this day.The mighty Bear Super Kodiak........bowdoc

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
too be honest after thinking about this.... my 62" 45# 1959 Kodiak Special is about the sweetest shooting bow I have ever shot... hands down.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©