INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1962 Kodiak turns into a 61  (Read 817 times)

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
1962 Kodiak turns into a 61
« on: August 04, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
I am not a serious collecter like most of you, I have a pristene 1960 Grizzly at 65# and have been searching for a 1962 Kodiak and a 1962 Grizzly in a 60# weight.That is the only two I really want cause it was the year I started shooting and hunting with the bow.

I have found my 1962 Kodiak! It is a 60#er and looks in fine shape. Paid what I thought it was worth to me. I will post some pics when it gets here.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1962 Kodiak turns into a 61
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
You gotta love those 62 Kodiaks.

The good Doctor Ward laid his healing hand on this 55# version.

Lon Scott

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
You like it don't you Lon   :bigsmyl:  

It is very nice.

I have a 50# and a 47#  Sweet Sweet Sweet

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
BlackHawk - That's just gorgeous. Oh my lands... just silly good.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
I keep looking at that photo and thinking how pretty this one would look if I refinnished it.

I know I know, I love the refinnished Rosewood though.  

I've asked this question before but never got an answer.  Why does the rosewood get so dark when you refinnish it.  The original bowyers sanded on the wood and then sealed over that and it didnt turn dark the first time. Why does it the second time around?

With Osage, it's yellow when worked and then it darkens, but if you sand it it turns yellow again.

:help:  I'm   :confused:  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 01:07:00 AM »
Hey Trap the original finish oxidized,somewhat sucking the very life out of the rosewood.In other words the sun or weather faded rosewood and the original finish does not or did not have a UV blocker in it to prevent that.So the finish turned yellow and in it's own ageing process absorbed some of the wood color or oils if you will from the rosewood as well.Rosewood is one of those woods that will sometimes fade rather then darken with age.I believe it has something to do with it's oils.Sand it down a little and boo-ya,looks premo again..purty weird huh ? I love that bow Lon...I just parted ways with my own 1962 and that hurt me bad...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do I guess......bowdoc

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Thanks Guys, Okay another question along those lines.  Osage will darken even under todays modern finishes, correct.  

Will Lon's bow lighten over time, showing the grain pattern better or will it remain dark?  

What do you think it will look like 10 20 even 50 years from now.  Don and Rich I know you guys have been at this a long time.  Do you still have some of the early Rosewood riser bows you have refinnished?  

Cool wood no doubt.  Beautiful both ways,  in the faded grainy state and in the rich dark refinnished condition.  

Trap

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Trap those old finishes and most new finishes used today did not or do not have a UV blocker in them.Unless you have a UV blocker in your finish it will most likely turn yellow-ish again and alow the weather to age the wood once more darken or lighten....with the UV blocker I use the finish will never ever turn yellow again.I have it mixed right in with my clear coat..I've seen bows from back 16 years ago when I first switched products with no discolorasition to the rosewood so far so good.........bowdoc

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
:eek:

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »

Not enough sandpaper or Fullerplast in the world to fix this.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
Well, my supposed 62 turns out to be a 61, drat, sending it back to the owner. Has green glass, not grey. Had an earlier refinish and it is cracking on both limbs,I would have to put more money into it for another refinish, just not what I wanted. I want a 1962 not a 1961! So the search continues. Anybody got a 62 around 60# they want to part with????????

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
OFF TOPIC A BIT, but..

What is the difference in the fading characteristics between Brazillian Rosewood, and East Indian Rosewood.

I know both were used in various models bows.  Which do you think made the better riser?
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
I think the 62 with Brazilian Rosewood is prettier.  Just my opinion of course.  

Trap

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
Is the Brazillian the deep choclate color and the East Indian the orangish color?
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
Danny,
Sorry it did not work out.
    Kurt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©