INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Help me decide?  (Read 966 times)

Offline tyee

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me decide?
« on: August 07, 2008, 03:16:00 AM »
So I have been shooting and falling in love with my orginal St Charles T bird I am going to hunt with it some this year. My dilema is this woven glass on the back scares me how often does it lift? It is in good shape now>I am thinking about snake skin would this help? Second if I did skin it how hard would it be to get off woven glass ?also has anyone put skin on bellies with any succes I want the bow to look good in the end any ideas welcome
bezaleel bow works
schafer
howatt

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me decide?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
TYREE

If I am not mistaken, that bow was probably made in the '60's, if not the '50's.  If it has held together this long, why would you think it will come apart now.

Snakeskins really make a bow look good.  However, your bow is a real piece of archery history and in my opinion should be left original.  As a true collector's item it has a certain collector's value.  If you add snakeskins you will hurt the value.  

If you have to have a snakeskin backed bow, please do it on something else.

Just my thoughts, but it is your bow to do with what you will.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
ditto

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
Ditto with one addition.  Good gowd man, dont skin, paint, or in any way alter that bow.  This post wasnt meant to offend.  but i have made mistakes and altered things i shouldnt have.  you have a major piece of history.  cant remember but Glen St Charles didnt make that many Thunderbirds.  

Enjoy that bow.  I only wish i could have something like that to share with the Archery World.  

Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
If it makes any difference, I have an old Ben Pearson longbow that I have hunted with and use regularly.  It has woven glass, and if I hadn't read that it can be a potential problem, I wouldn't know it was.  Never any issues with it all.  It was made sometime in the 1950's I am sure.

RonP

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
yep, leave it in original condition and enjoy the ride... good luck.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
WHOA!!

Ya mean I finally got something right?

Hold on Elizabeth,  I'm commin' to see ya.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
lots of good advice here. by all means take that T-Bird out to the woods and chase deer and elk with it.have a blast.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Not so fast Jack, you messed up the date. All of the Thunderbirds were made in the 50's!   :bigsmyl:  It's full time work to keep you on the straight and narrow! CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
Maybe only about 300 made I think...

...and I'm with the group that says keep the limbs original, but I would drill three holes in the riser for a sight. OUCH!  :knothead:
Lon Scott

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
I got it right...  I said

If I am not mistaken, that bow was "probably" made in the '60's, "if not the '50's".

Next time I will say "all the thunderbirds were msde in the '50's, if you csn believe Cameron"... got to have a qualifyer.

Offline tyee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 01:20:00 AM »
thanks everyone, just finished up applying some of the comercial grade rhino lining to the back of the bow it looks so sweet I then lammed a really thin piece of black glass to the belly. it looks really classy and no blackhawk I only had to drill two holes in the riser for my new spot hog
seven deadly pin sight the stabilizer bushing was hard to get in but the chubby doinker looks great
now I waiting for my winners choice strings. this rig is awesome. Well now that you have all puked in your wheaties lol I appreciate the advise and I like dropptines limb cover idea now I just need some of those vintage covers and no I didnt do any of the above
bezaleel bow works
schafer
howatt

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 02:10:00 AM »
Sorry Jack, I just get so used to you being wrong!    :knothead:   Just kidding. Here is a link to the historical info on the St.Charles Thunderbird:  http://www.selfbow.com/thunderbird.html  

CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©