INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Wanted: 1964 Kodiak  (Read 703 times)

Offline TBinMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wanted: 1964 Kodiak
« on: August 16, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
Hello,
I know this is a long-shot - but here goes...
I hope it is OK to post this in this forum - I also put it in the Trad. Bows section but thought this area might be more accurate for an older Bear bow.
I am looking for a 1964 Kodiak in as good of condition as possible - will consider any in decent shape.
I will buy outright - or I have a '67 Black Beauty that could be part of a trade.
Thanks,
Terry Beaudoin
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wanted: 1964 Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
EBinMN

You are in good company,,, I think just about everyone here wants a '64 Kodiak... and a 61 & 62 & 63 & 65 & 66.

You posted it in the right place.  There are many here that have them...just a matter if they want to turn them loose or not

As frustrating as it is, your best bet is e8ay;  Yhey pop up regularly, but then you have to step up anf win the auction.  The better the condition, and the higher the draw weight, the higher the price.

Godd luck with your search.  Enjoy it, the hunt for it is most of the fun of getting one,
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline TBinMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
Jack,
Yeh, I figured that might be the case - but ya never know - doesn't hurt to check I guess!
I have '65, '66 and '67 Kodiaks - I really like how the '66 shoots for me - something about it just makes it my most consistent bow.
Thanks,
Terry
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
If you like heavy bows there is one on "The" sight  65@28
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline TBinMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
Ken,
Thanks for the help - I sent you a PM.
Terry
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
I sent you an email with the item # good luck..
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
You have a '67 Kodiak?  

The elusive, mythical, non existant 67 Kodiak?

I would have to see pics with SN to believe it.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline TBinMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
Jack,
Ya got me on the '67 - I meant Super Kodiak (Black Beauty) - so the mythic 67 Kodiak remains elusive.
Sorry to get you all wound up  :)   Kinda like the recent Bigfoot extravaganza!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
TBinMN

Happens all the time.  If you ever notice, there is a Kodiak in the 67 Catalog, but it has a 66 SN.  Bear just sold what it had left over from 66 untiil the 67.5 catalog came out with the ne "Kodiak Hunter".

Offline TBinMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
Jack,
You are one of the people that makes this place what it is at its' best - a great place to learn about our sport and have a good time doing so.

I've been involved in archery (recurves, longbows, selfbows) since 1969 - although I was not so interested in collecting until the last few years.  I continue pick up new info and ideas from folks here regularly.

One question: What typically do the '64 Kodiak serial numbers look like?  It appears like they are not like the '65 on bows where the first number has to do with the year of production?

Thanks again,
Terry
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
Terry, I had such an ad listed for 6 months saying I wanted one around 50-55#, but all I got offered were a couple dogs and a nice one at an outrageous price which I declined.  Tradganger Steve Smith offered me a 45# in great shape at a reasonable price and I took it.

I'm still looking for a 64 Kodiak in the 50# range however.

As for serial #, good question.  I know they say that only the bows from 65-69 had serial numbers beginning with the year, BUT my 64 AND 63 Kodiaks have serial numbers beginning with a "4" and a "3".  Coincidence???
Lon Scott

Offline TBinMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
Lon,
I guess that doesn't surprise me the way they seem to be valued by those lucky enough to have them.

I guess patience is the trick.

I had a guy offer me one almost right away - but I have not heard back from him for a few days - he may have changed his mind - or (I can always hope) maybe he's just had other things come up and will get back to me.

Interesting about the serial numbers - I wonder why they switched around instead of sticking with some consistent, simple system?

I think I had a bow of yours a while back - maybe 6-7 years ago - does a anniversary model Black Widow recurve ring a bell?

Terry
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
Terry, I've bought and sold a number of Widows, but never an annimbersary model.
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©