INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Your Vintage Set-Up for the 08 Season  (Read 1399 times)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Your Vintage Set-Up for the 08 Season
« on: August 22, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
A similar thread is running in the PowWow Forum and I thought I'd start one here to see what you guys are going to be using this upcomming season.  Our deer season starts on Sept 15th.

I'll start the season with a 58 Kodiak to honor it's 50th Birthday 60" 52# Taperred cedars with Razorheads 530 gns.  Hopefully I'll have a chance to fill a few antlerles tags.
   s

As the season progresses and the Rut gets cranking, I'll switch to this one, A 60 Kodiak 60" 52#, Supercedars with 1960 Razorheads 660 gns

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your Vintage Set-Up for the 08 Season
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
My '08 set-up will not be vintage, but I'm also planning to use a 59 Kodiak (64" in 55#) next year with vintage Bear Razorhead arrows and a vintage quiver.

If attacked in the dark forests of the Northwest, putting Sasquatch in my freezer with a vintage Bear would be extra special.

Lon Scott

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
1967 Kodiak Hunter #45 .. Micro-flite #6 arrows.. 59 Bear Razorhead 2 blade. She is a killer, 2 for 2 .. I keep my shots under 20yrds.
                >>>------>
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online bswear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
Here's mine!  I need some silencers though!  Eventually the Widow gets to play, but the new to me Bear gets first chance .

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 02:02:00 AM »
If all goes well a 1963 Pearson colt 45# @ 28". Man looks like another sleepless night!
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Rich,
Is that the original factory camo   :bigsmyl:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Nice setups guys....keep em coming...some of you are holding out or maybe havent decided yet.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
I have prettier,classier looking bows but this old thing is just easy to hit with and feels good in my hand.I bought it the first year they came out.56" and 50 lbs.I have refinished it 3 time and filled in the sight channel.The quiver was one of those long Bear 4 arrow compound quivers.I shortened it and installed a modified Delta gripper setup.It is now a compact 5 arrow bolt on.The arrows are ash with and will probably have modified grizzly heads by the opener.they weigh 660 grains.

Offline The Great Jashu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
Right now I plan on using my '69 Super K 60" 55 lbs. Not a complete vintage setup as I will be most likely shooting a heavy carbon with 150 grain snuffers.

I also have a '68 Super K in 45 lbs that shoots awesome with 640 grain poplar shafts, with turkey feathers from turkeys I shot. It is kinda slow but very quiet. I am somewhat afraid of the speed being slow, but man it is accurate.

The real vintage setup is my father in laws 67.5 Kodiak hunter in 58". I have his whole setup with bear fiberglass arrows and razorheads. I just dont shoot it as well as my Super K's. Maybe I will use it in the late season.

No matter what, the deer I take will fall to a vintage Bear.
No hunter should feel guilty for killing a deer that doesnt meet someone else's expectations.

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
I got this bow in the mail yesterday.This will be a part of my vintage set up for '08. A 58 inch 1963 Wing Redwing Hunter 42 lbs.@28. I have to admit that I was pleasantly suprised at the shootability and ease of tuning of this bow. I am looking for some period correct broadheads and a couple of period correct arrows to finish my set up.

BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
No compounds this year, traded it away for a bow fishing recurve.
I'll be using a "64" Grizzly-58"-45# and some woodies with sporting 64 greenies !

"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline Chuck_Delsandro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 06:56:00 AM »
46lb, 65 Kodiak spitting a 530 grain woody tipped with a griz BH (not vintage, but I like them!)

" It's not the breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away"

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
Ya'll have some nice hunting set ups fellas  :thumbsup:
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
1960 Ben Pearson 50# Solid glass Strato Jet

Old cedar arrows with Ben Pearson skelatal broadheads.

It is my first bow that I accidently killed a scraggly 3 pointer with in 1962.

Why try to hunt with it when I have some fantastic hunting bows?  Why not.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 01:43:00 AM »
I picked this 55 up on the auction site last year for a Grant 'cause it was missing a tip overlay - I guess this damaged its collector value. 64" 47# and smooth as silk but real quick.

I know the GN quiver is not period, but dang collectors keep driving up the price on the old tape on leather cap 4 arrow quivers that I believe would be correct. Arrows are auction site and I can find them for about $30 a half dozen set up with green heads and barred fletching.

I put fiberglass tip overlays on it and use 12 strand FF string.

There's a bunch of speckles in the finish. Maybe after Bear Quest is will go home with that wild man that makes em pretty.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
The Greenie head is a 1960,, Not exactly your most common Greenie..A nice find for sure..
Don't be surprised if you catch flack for the ff string.. It can be hard on the glue in these old bows regardless of the tip overlays.. Have fun and enjoy the hunt.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
OK guys, I will put a B-50 string on it today. Thanks for the info. It is a gem of a shooter and has lasted almost as long as me so far, hate to have either of us get injured.

I like is so much that I used the narrow limb static curve design to make my first glass recurve which turned out very well.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
BTW Shaun, It's a 1956- Silkscreens 56-on, decal-55-back. Oh, and I agree, your old bow will most likely fail at the fadeout when you least expect it! But, suit yourself!   :saywhat:  CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©