INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Left Hand 1965 Kodiak Just Arrived  (Read 928 times)

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
Left Hand 1965 Kodiak Just Arrived
« on: September 06, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
A nice 1965 Kodiak 60" 50# Left Hand just unboxed and cleaned up

Have to throw in a photo of a Meteorite I found in the woods while tracking a nice 9 point the other bow season.

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Left Hand 1965 Kodiak Just Arrived
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Now that is what I call a good looking bow!! Nice
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Yule08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
It is a nice bow, I have a 48# lefty '65. Great shooter and looker.

I am more curious about the meteorite though.  Give us some more details please!!

Yule

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
Good looking Kodiak, how do you know that is a meterorite?

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 11:55:00 PM »
Nice bow. Gotta love the old kodiaks.

Offline Chuck_Delsandro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 05:57:00 AM »
Very nice 65K! I have a 46lber set up to hunt with this fall.
" It's not the breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away"

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 06:42:00 AM »
Have to throw in a photo of a Meteorite I found in the woods while tracking a nice 9 point the other bow season.
Scrolled through your pics and the meteorite "jumped" right at me   :wavey:

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
As day light was nearing I could hear deer chasing each other in a low thick swamp grass wooded area about 75 yards away. As light filtered in I could see several bucks chasing does around. Being so far away I climbed down from my stand and stalked closer to the action. Standing next to a tree near a stream that flowed through the thick stuff, I saw a nice buck in the thicket chasing a doe. A bit later I seen his head and rack in a opening then vanish. I caught a bit of white in the brush and out steps this 9 point. He crosses the stream to the left of me and as he passes behind a large cottonwood I reach full draw.When he clears the tree he stops, like he knows something is out of place, I release the arrow from less than 20 feet away. My first buck from the ground.
 Found the arrow covered in blood but could'nt find much blood after about 60 yrds. Well I combed that swamp grass and crawled through the thick stuff all morning. I found the meteorite near the stream bank, picked it up and checked it out, but at 14 pounds I didn't want to carry it so I left it.
 At 1pm I left and went to town to get some much needed water and food. Grabbed my two sons and a friend and returned to find the buck. The first pass we made across the the area we found the buck against a tree a the edge of the woods where a large grass swale starts.We had a hard drag across this low land, me pulling the buck and the boys pulling me.
 Well the next spring I finally went back for the meteorite. As I said its 14 pounds, no I have not had it checked yet, but should just to know. There is no other stones or rocks with the looks of this near that area, anyway I really good hunt with a bonus.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
Roy,
I am sorry if I sound as if I want to take something away from you. I didn't! It is just a big something and of scientific interest to own a lithic meteorite - if it really is.
I got goose bumps (?word) at once, when I discovered the one I found! I knew on the spot I was very very close to something pretty special or a once in a life time incident. Few minutes later I had determined it's specific gravity - as I had discovered it in front of my own doorsteps (using my old metal detector just for fun!).  Submerging it into water and weighting what amount it had replaced, was easy   :readit:  
Specific gravity was a fraction to low (only about 7.2g/cm³) for a Ni-Fe-Meteorite. But not to far off as making it impossible to be a genuine meteorite. I grind a flat surface and etched it with concentrated HNO3 acid to reveal "Wittmannstädt'sche etching figures" - but no! I gave a small sample to a collegue in our Geochemistry, asking for some key elements to be analysed. Turned out to be as stated above - which doomed my very special discovery and left me with the search for an explanation for what I actually had in hand.
As a rail road track was only 200 yrds. away from our house - and it lead to a steel factory close by, for about the past 40 years, I had to accept that it maybe was droped from a rail waggon. Bomb shrapnels etc. were also considered by me, but the chemistry is far of for those kind of stuff.
Featuring only concave surfaces and all with what appears to be a "furnace crust" - I have not yet given up the hope to own a very special item! But there is no process known, to enrich to the Manganese content present in my sample - other then human manufaturing processes.
I keep it in my collection as an almost perfect meteorite mimicry sample ...

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
Falk,
 This was found in central michigan farm country, the low land weaves through several mile sections, maybe at one time being a larger water source. The nearest farm buildings are a half mile away.
 I'm near Lansings Michigan State Collage and really should look up who to see about doing some test to see what it is really made of. I'll keep you posted if I get to it..Roy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©