INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bighorn Shorty  (Read 716 times)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bighorn Shorty
« on: September 13, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
I hope this comes under the heading of traditional history.I've been shooting recurves since junior high,in the early to mid 1960's.In the mid '70's I had a brief 3 year affair with a wheelie.I'm not proud of it but she came on to me first.                                            Bowhunting didn't feel the same anymore and I felt a need for a new recurve.Many of the makers were all but phasing them out but I had seen ads for custom made bows by Bighorn Bowhunting Company.It was their second year in business when I ordered this 54",61# one piece.They only made one piece bows at the time.I carved a piece of urethane foam to show them what I wanted in the handle and this one feels as good in the hand as any bow I've owned.I still have it and it looks like the day I got it.I love this little bow.                                Dennie Behn was working with Fred Asbell at the time and I actually talked to him mostly,about the details for the bow.He eventually left the business and has been a sculptor for the taxidermy industry for many years.As an interesting side note,I have been working on a project with him,the past year.Funny what a small world it is,sometimes.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bighorn Shorty
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
Here is a full length shot.This is a trail marker in WV that the black bears used for there own marking purposes.

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
JimB, I'm not into short bows but I am into Bighorns;  That is one fine bow you have there; glad you had sense enough to hold onto her.  Continued good luck with it............Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
very cool bow and neat history behind it.  Thanks for sharing.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
Love that story and bow.  Funny, i turned down a used one piece Bighorn back in 1987.  I could kick myself now.  Although I ended up buying a take down recurve by Appalachian Archery.  

Thanks for sharing.  Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
The other part of that story is,the next year,they came out with their 3 piece takedown and it was the first year for the dull,textured finish so I had to get one of those.I still have it also.It is 60# and 56" and though the wood isn't as flashy,it is a very smooth shooting bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©