INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: looking for details on POMAC  (Read 642 times)

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
looking for details on POMAC
« on: September 15, 2008, 05:51:00 AM »
Good morning guys!

I try to verify the origin of a yew LB with rawhide backing. There is some evidence it might have been done by bowyers Potter and Macquarrie (POMAC).

When did they went out of business? Before 1950?
Any successors who used the brand in later times?
How many bows were made and how many are still around?
Is their anybody who has one of their's in possession and would be willing to post pics for comparison?

Thanks in advance,
Falk

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: looking for details on POMAC
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
Falk:
I have a POMAC take down. It has a "New Moon" hinge. The wood is so dark its difficult to tell exactly what it is, but I believe its Osage with bamboo backing. Very sharply bent recurve tips. All the POMAC's I've seen have a impression (in the wood) stamp on the handle above the grip facing the shooter that say's POMAC. Also a mother of pearl strike plate. Your longbow might proceed the take down recurve and may not have a stamp.
I don't believe anyone succeeded them, prior to closing I believe it was just Harold Macquarrie in the business.
I have a friend that was in business in Oakland at about the same time, I'll see if he knows when they closed. I know he was a personal friend of Harold, if fact he has his back quiver.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
Falk:
I did some checking, I was incorrect in saying Harold did not sell out. He did sell. The business was sold to Benson's Sporting Goods of Berkley, Calif. in March 1954, however I would think the bow you have would be WAY earlier than the 1950's
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 03:40:00 AM »
Bob,
thanks for all the interesting info! I have to admit though, it is not my bow. I only recently found it on that auction site, for sale. Looks like a self yew with a halfbreed profile inbetween Americ. Flat and ELB; no horn nocks.
Described there as having 57# and some crysals already, but that kid is shown with it at full draw nevertheless! Obviously has no idea what vintage bow he has been shooting all days or to what he fitted a new grip  :banghead:

That person has refused to answer my questions so far. Possible that I had trouble with him in the past because of the fraudulent character of his auctions, under a different handle of his?! Not sure if it is the same person though, but some pointers let me think so.

Anyways, nice to see a bow that old still shooting okay, but sad it's owner seems to know so little about it ...

Now then, anyone else with some infos on this old selfbow stuff?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©