INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Wing Thunderbird?  (Read 1844 times)

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
Wing Thunderbird?
« on: September 16, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Was reading my Bowyers of America book and there was mention of a  pre "ski" Wing called the Thunderhawk, anyone seen or have pictures of one?  Love to see them if you do, or any other info.  Thanks. Tim
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wing Thunderbird?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Tim, I've got a pre "Head Ski" Wing Thunderbird, but I'm not familiar with the Thunderhawk either. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Chuck
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Chuck, maybe I need to revisit that chapter, it may have been the Thunderbird.  The bowyer said it was one of the finest shooting bows he's ever shot.  Just wanted to hear more about them.  Tim
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
I re-read the chapter last night, and it was bowyer Don Adams that said the 62" Pre AMF Thunderbird was the among the finest at the time.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
Well, Pre AMF is even earlier than pre SKI.

That would make it a "Bob Lee Wing Thunderbird".

In my opinion. the best Wings were the Bob Lee Wings.  After they were bought out, they were never quite the same.  I think the advent of the compound had a definite effect on recurve sales and the bowmakers really dropped the quality in their recurves in favor of R & D on compounds.  Bear sure did.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
I have a Bob Lee Thunderbolt that is a good shooter....never seen a Thunderhawk.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Don Adams mentioned that he out shot a compound shooter with his Thunderbird in a friendly flight shooting competition.  Apparently it wasn't real close.

I just thought it interesting, you always hear about the Red Wing, White Wing, and some others but I never heard much of the Thunderbird til I read the article.  I'll be keeping an eye out for one now.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
OK...reverse what I sed...then it will be correct.

Bottem lime is there ain't no Wing bow like a Bob Lee Wing bow.

If you want to talk about good shooting Wings, don't forget the Chaparrell.

I have a phenolic Thunderbird, but I can't remember if it is a Lee-Wing, AMF, or Head Ski.

I spoke to da "Bug" day befo yesterday.  She has been chomping at the bit to try that string out, and get some pics up of it, but it has been really nasty weather every afternoon in South JAWJA...

I will irritate her a bit about it.   :biglaugh:

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
Jack, any chance you could post a pic of your Thunderbird?  I'm going thru a solid phenolic riser phase; don't ask, I don't know why?   :knothead:     :D
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
I am technologically challenged.  Can't post pics.

It is not a really pretty one.  As I recall it has a bunch of stress cracks in the glass and in the phenolic.

I sold it once for a reasonable price, but the guy was not satisfied with it so he returned it.  The only way I wil lsell a bow is with a satisfaaction guarantee.  Don't ever want anyone saying that I screwed them on a deal.  If you don't like it, send it back.  You eat the return shipping and I am out the original shipping.  Great way to loose money but keep my integrity.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
No worries.  If you have any taken, shoot me an email if its not to much trouble.  What are the specs on it? do you shoot it?
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
TIM

I am at work so I can't check it right now.  I don't remember hte specs off hand.  It pretty much just hangs w ith my other 80 recurves on my wall.  I did shoot it when I first got it, and it does shoot pretty sweet.

My problem is that I don't have a digital camera that works worth a crap.  Lousy pictures.

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
Here ya go Tim. Bob Lee Wing T-Bird, original finish, phenolic riser,52",46#. I shoot it and it is as fast as most of my 50 to 55# bows. Dead in the hand and amazingly smooth for a short 52" recurve. In my opinion the T-Birds are faster than the Red Wing Hunters. Wish I knew what year she was. Maybe someone could help out with a date or date range.

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
3 on e8ay righr now

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
Yep, I'm watching the 68# T-Bird. Might jump in unless someone on here is interested in it.

I'm actively bidding on a 65# RWH on that site.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ANYWINGCURVE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »
ga. boy, yours is more than likely a 67. the black&white overlays are a sign. before 67 there is no overlay at all on front of grip&overlays on tips are shedua&white. i have one exactly like yours except for the overlay not being on the front. mine reads T-7 52" 52#.i've been told mine is a 66

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
Very Nice!  I do like the looks of them.  I saw the 3 on the auction site but I can't justify buying another bow right now, things are just to tight.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
ga.boy:
I do believe the riser on your bow is dyed/impregnated maple. The phenolic risers don't have a wood grain since it was a resin impregnated linen.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
Tim

All the justification you need to buy another bow is that it is there.

Opps, honey, my fingure slipped and I accidently bought another  bow.  I have had finger slippage problems about 50 times.

Offline Billyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
I saw wing thunderbird and had to check it out.Got me to wonder a bit about the one I have,it's 62" 44# @28" all black except the overlays.Shoots great still.Where there different length models of this bow?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©