INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bows are an obsession or is it an addiction,LOL  (Read 579 times)

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bows are an obsession or is it an addiction,LOL
« on: October 11, 2008, 05:46:00 AM »
I am a very sick man. I have been in love with bows and archery since I was 15 or 16 years old, actually probably sooner that that since I saw Howard Hill put on an exibition at my school when I was younger.

At first I was satisfyed with my first bow, an old Pearson Jet that was 45#. Killed a bunch of rabbits and such with it. Then when I was older I bought a Pearson Cougar and shot it for several years.

Then moved to longbows first shooting an ole Ben and owned many more from there. Shot longbows exclusivly for many years. Probably owned one of all the higherend longbows at onetime or another.
Shot mostly 72-80# for years.

Then one day I could no longer control my shot with the longbow. Worked long and hard trying to figure out what went wrong. Finally out of desperation I returned to the recurve and was spot on from the get go. Sold all of my longbows and now shoot recurves.

If I tried to remember all of the bows I have ever owned I would probably get a migrain,LOL. I just love lines of a fine bow.

I have a total of 8 bows in the stable now with 3 of them being classics, 2 Howard Jets and a 65 Bear grizz. along with a Morrison Cheyenne,Blacktail Elite VL,Brackenbury Quest,Dale Dye Trails End,and a Charlie Lamb SunBear on the way.

What am I getting at? Well does it ever end? I find myself lusting after a Howatt Hunter rosewood. I want to find one that is a Ne Plus Ultra, I even like the High Speed Ne Plus Ultra. I just love rosewood,LOL. Now I am on a search and hopefully I will find one at around 60# in the near future. Also looking for a 62 Kodiak in the same weight. I just love the chase,LOL.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bows are an obsession or is it an addiction,LOL
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 06:22:00 AM »
Your kidding me right ? it will never end.And in some cases it just keeps getting worse or is it worser....I hate being addicted....bowdoc

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
You guys are not abnormal or addicted.  You are just love sick like most of us on here.
Lon Scott

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
Lord help me, I am adding an original Brackenbury Legend,Howatt Hunter and Robertson Gryfalcon with pierce points to the collection. Also have my eye on a new riser for my Morrison.

I am a sick man,LOL.

Danny

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
Hello...my name is Jack...and I am a recurveaholic.

The first step to recovery is admitting that you are addicted.

Oh hell...who wants to recover...I am an addict and will remain one.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
OK you guy's I was not going to bail you out this time.But something came over me in my sleep and I figured what the heck these guy's are my friends and I should bail them out of this jam one more time...so I'am gonna do it..But I want you to understand,counsuling costs big bucks these day's for treatment...so if you do end up getting hooked really really bad you may find yourself in need of some help.With that said,I find myself a little short of cash flow from time to time.Probley like the rest of the world these days.So's one day I wanted to buy this Bear take down really really bad and yeah you know I was pennie-less at the time.You know it was kind of like I was getting a little wozzie not feeling to good,feeling sick sweating real bad.Kind of like a junkie thats really in a pickle....no dough,no hope.Feeling like you may be checking out of this hotel..I needed to save myself and in a hurry too as I was fadding fast...I yell at Mrs bowdoc who's sleeping at the time,I'am having a bad attac honey can you help your man out baby please just one more time honey...then like a streak of lightening and a ball of white heat....this thing hit me right in the neck....send me your addie and I will have my wife ship your spouse one out asap...they work just super fast and will help you out for a short time....but warning they are habit forming.Ive taken as many as 12 hits per day from her.....bd

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
They are works of functional art.  No two alike, and no two shoot the same.  Just consider yourself an art dealer/collector, and let your wife know that she is not married to an addict, but to a conservationalist of fine art.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Tim -
This wife you're talking about - is she your starter wife, your trophy wife, or your next wife? I don't think my original wife will buy this one, and so I have to hope that I get to the big box by the front door before she does.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »
Tony,
It doesn't work on my wife either, thought it was just her.   :help:
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
Danny...I feel your pain...since being deployed and having some extra money I went ahead and started ordering some bows I have wanted. Well now I have orders in for all the following: Dale Dye Trail Ends, Centaur LB, Morrison Dakota, Shrew Gold, Randy Morin bow, Dryad Soothsayer and Orion, and more than likely a Morrison mini 14 ILF after I get to try one out in November.

At the house I have a Morrison Cheyenne and Dakota, Jerry Pierce Choctaw, and a Thunder Stick arrow inlay bow.

Plus I bought my dad an RER XR/LX combo for Christmas which is on the way.

My boy has an old Pearson, Charlie Lamb Sunbear from St. Jude's last year, and a Palmer.

Can I be part of you club!!!

Is there any help for the sickness...

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
Chris,

The only help is to buy another bow,LOL  :goldtooth:    :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline Billyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
I had it bad when I reached 125 c-bows and 20+ recurves no light at the end of the tunnel.Not to mention 100's of arrows  :banghead:  it never ends  :banghead:

Offline Waterhole-Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
According to my wife "Theres a fine line between collecting and a mental illness," and you sir crossed that line on several occassions.
"I Live With Fear And Danger Every Day But, Occasionally I Leave Her And Go Hunting!"

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
My wife walked into my collection room and scanned my 80+ recurves and asked,,,"how many bows can you shoot at one time?"

My answer..."about as many pairs of shoes as you can wear at one time"

She has never questioned my collection again.

All is fair in love and traditional collecting.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Billyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
OUCH  :archer:

Offline Chuck_Delsandro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
I don't know if it's the bows or the quest of finding the one you are looking for. I spent 3 years looking for a particular used BW. I prolly could have bought a new one but I'm a bit tight. Anyway I found it this year, along with several others I had to have.
" It's not the breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away"

Offline Kimber Rowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
It is a illness for my hubby and I am glad he has it, his illness allows me to have mine.  I have decided that I have a great husband, he works, has an unshakable faith in God and he comes home every night so how can I complain about a man who likes a new bow every now and again.
"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." 1 Corinthians 11:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©