INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New to me 64 Kodiak  (Read 532 times)

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
New to me 64 Kodiak
« on: October 17, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know I recieved my 64 Kodiak in the mail today.I want to say thanks to Dustin Newer for the great bow.It is a beautiful bow and just feels great in my hand.Talk about a solid shooter.It is 42# and throws my Beman Classics with 190gr.up front with authority.Sorry I don't have pics.Everything you read about the 64 Kodiak is true and then some.Gonna try it out tomorrow morning on some Michigan whitetails.Sorry for a long post, I just had to brag a little.

David Janssen
David Janssen

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to me 64 Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
You got no pics?

Here's one for you.

Just kidding...

Now if you get a deer with the '64, we will demand pics.
Lon Scott

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Hi David I also own one of the beauties myself.Well the one I got may not be beautiful to everyone as it's factory camo.But she's a shooter for sure.I don't want to come across like some,well whatever.But you may try some good old wooden arrow out of the 1964 Kodiak sometime.I know everyone loves the newer type arrow matiral.But in 1964 there were no carbon arrows nore many 190 grain heads...160 was super heavy weight back then.But I just want to say I've tried just about every arrow matiral ever made,but I keep coming back to a wood shaft around 11/32 diameter with a 125 tip..total weight about 500-550 or in-there for my 55# 1964 and she drives em home.If you could maybe try some 5/16 40-45# spine woodie at your draw..well just maybe sometime if you get a chance.It will really let you feel what the bow was designed to shoot like.....ya gotta love em........bowdoc

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
David

When you shoot your '64 Kodiak you will hear a distinct "Thunk"

That is "Bear Recurveeze" for "I am a '64 Kodiak"
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback,I will try some woodies next year for sure.
David Janssen
David Janssen

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
I thought bear recurveeze was some kinda Cajun food.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
No Tony...that would be "Bear etoufee"

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Hey Dave,
Glad you love the bow, and you were a real pleasure to talk to.  I hated to get rid of it but I believe it's doing you a lot more good than it was me setting on the bow rack!  I am keeping my eyes open for a little heavier '64 to put to use in the woods of Oklahoma...someday I will find her.  

Keep us posted on your adventures together!
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
TOEHEAD

Just as a reference.. I have a 55# '64 Kodiak...I paid $500.00 for it.  That may or may not be an accurate guage...but there it is.

Given the same condition, the heavier the bow the higher the price as a general rule...at least for kodiaks from the '60's.  They made a ton of light weights but lots fewer in the heavier weights.

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
I could see paying that much for a 55lb '64 in great condition.  I mean the supply and demand would definitely dictate the price, beign a '64 in heavy weight supply low, demand high!
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©