INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: "Quivering" with anticipation!!!!  (Read 5890 times)

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Quivering" with anticipation!!!!
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
That is a dandy Trap, glad you have it. And the history with it, is priceless.

I've wondered how big of a library you guys could amass. On a site with the pictures and stories,listed with some thought. The treasure it would be for all to see. The online museum and history of traditional archery.  :campfire:

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
OK, here's a couple of mine.  Below is one Ben Pearson gave me for a High School graduation present.  It's the one I'm using in my atavar.

And the one below is my Dad's quiver that he used for shooting demonstrations in his later years...Van

Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Great stuff Van and great history.Thanks for posting.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
Thanks johnny  :)  ...Van
I love this country ;-)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing the quivers and history Van.  

Folks, I've always enjoyed Van's posts on TG and the great vintage pictures he's posted of Ben Pearson and others.  

Recently I posted a picture of Sterling Harrell's St. Charles quiver on another thread and Van inquired about how I had ended up with it.  

It wasnt untill I read Van's profile (because I wanted to know what name to call him by) that I made the connection between Sterling Van Harrell III (Van/TX) and  the name Sterling Harrell on the St. Charles quiver.  Father and Son of course. (Sometimes it takes me a while)

Van pointed me towards the video clips of Sterling doing a little trick shooting on this website.  If you have time, take a look fellas.  Pretty neat stuff.

Thanks for the history lesson Van.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2009, 12:51:00 AM »
WOW
That's some great footage.
He shoots better with his feet than I do with my hands!!
Van,
What model bow was your dad using for his trick shooting?
               Kurt

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
Not sure what bow that was in the video, Kurt.  He only shot that particular one for a very short period of time.  He normally shot a Hill for trick shooting.  One that he used was a Hill Big 5 with dual shelves.  Jerry Hill added the extra shelf.  Dad shot left and right handed but always left when trick shooting.

I'll try to find that pic Trap.  Thanks...Van
I love this country ;-)

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
Watched it again, looks like a fun backyard to grow up in,
Right and Left handed and both feet.

Kurt

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
TTT if you can't find it here.. Well,  there are a couple missing
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
Man, What a thread....can't tell you how much I've enjoyed it.  History rich and full of interesting pics.  I can't believe the condition of some of those 50-60 year old quivers.  I love the back quivers...if any of you have an ol' lefty hanging around you don't need....pm me....
Thanks,
Tom I.

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »

Left Hand Bear Western, Bear Rover Center Back Quiver

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  I love em, thanks for adding them here Roy  :thumbsup:  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
Great bunch of quivers   :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »
These are most of Fred Bear’s Leather Hunting Quivers made from 1933 to 1971. There may be a few quivers in this photograph that have not been posted yet. These are all named models and most lengths and styles of those models. Also have several other Bear models of leather hunting quivers that are not shown here. Other non-leather and non-hunting models are also not shown.

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
Wade, I've found a way to save myself alot of time and money.

I think I'll quit collecting and just copy and frame some of your pictures and hang them up  :)

? for you, what year is the second quiver from the right on the top shelf?  

Trap

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by alaskabowhunter:

Some of the finest, and long lasting, handcrafted quivers that I have seen. Great post thanks for the opportunity to see all of these pieces. I do have to comment to Alaskabowhunter; that is one finely equipped pack that you show in your picture, you should do a post and outline just what you carry. Looks light, fast, and ready to go, the bow also looks well cared for and used for hunting.
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
Trap – The second quiver from the right on the top shelf that you asked about is a Northwoods w/ Accessory Pocket.

That quiver was Floyd Eccleston’s. I believe it is the quiver that Floyd is wearing in the photograph of him with his 1961 Bear. The photograph is the frontispiece of the book “Broadheads 1972-2007 Identification Guide”, which was dedicated to Floyd and his wife Joney for the impact that their enduring enthusiasm had on collecting and the lives of the bowmen who knew them.

Just checked the last draft of the Quiver Book, to confirm that the dates recorded were correct, and see that I can not substantiate the dates recorded in the draft for the Northwoods w/ Accessory Pocket. I don’t want to state an erroneous date, so will have to dig back into the archives to get the original documentation and exact dates. It has taken many years to acquire, date and sort these quivers. Obviously, the work is not yet complete.

Actually the two quivers to the far right are the Northwoods, w/ Accessory Pocket 4”x10”. These two are 26” and 28” lengths. They also have a zipper on the lower back to access arrows and pockets for individual broadheads. All 12 of the quivers to the right of the top shelf are variations of the Northwoods Tube Models, that were advertised from 1941 to 1954.  In 1955, the Nimrod replaced the Northwoods. As you know a much different design Northwoods quiver was introduced later.

For the Bear Quiver display, my original intent was to arrange the quivers in chronological order by earliest date of introduction. Unfortunately, I was not able to figure out how to do that with the limited space of an 8’x12’ wall and three shelves. The top shelf is mostly 1930’s and 1940s quivers. The next two shelves are arranged mostly by style first and second by chronological order.

I agree it would be nice to have photographs of all the Bear Quivers. I need to re-arrange these quivers and shelves and take a better photograph. The bow quivers need to be moved too.

Will let you know if I get them re-arranged and get some better photographs.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
Had to add one more for the ladies of Tradgang

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
450 I love that set up right there.I always loved the blue handle models.I really love that quiver.How much more beautiful could an archery set get then that..Thanks dude thats beautiful.bowdoc

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
Mike like that Ben Pearson tooled quiver, I know who out bid me now. LOL
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©