INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: "Quivering" with anticipation!!!!  (Read 5894 times)

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Quivering" with anticipation!!!!
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
That is a neet one Trap, I do remember vaguely Taylor made products. Don't remember that quiver though.

Maybe in a month or so I'll be back through there  :D

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
I do kind of recall that type quiver but could not remember the name until now.Thank you double D for the pics.That quiver was like the Wiffens.They had wing nuts to tighten the bracket.The more you shot the loser the quiver got.Guy's would crank the nuts done with pliers and crush their limbs.Them were great quivers.Then along came Quickie Quivers.....drill it or crush it you decide...bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
Here's another odd duck the Tracy Stalker,Stalker Quiver.It mounted so your fletchings were pointing downward just like any other bow quiver did.The problemo was old Tracy had a block of wood in the bottom of the quiver of which you pushed your arrows into the piece of wood.The Stalker had no arrow grippers.Soon as you shot a couple arrows the others would work loss and start falling out.Pretty cool...bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
view 2..bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
and 3.bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
4th.bd

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
Here's another picture of Kurt's quiver.

I'm just posting pictures for him.  

better jump in here Kurt.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
Thanks Trap
I'm still pic challenged.

I got that with a few bows off craigs list,when I got home and took a look I was surprised.

Did "TaylorMade" make many archery products?

Any idea what year?

The bow its off is a late 50's Barr Apache,had great old camo limb covers

Great thread
            Kurt

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
I wonder if the original Taylor was a bow hunter?
       Kurt

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
Cool Stuff guys,

For me, old quivers are just about a cool as old bows.

When Kurt first showed me the pics my first thought was of crushed limbs from over tightening.  Ouch !!!!!

I have one coming to me soon that has a little history attached.  Can't wait to see it.  Stay tuned.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
Me too Trap I love those old quivers.They did crush the limbs once in a while with those bolt mounted type quivers.Whiffens quivers mounted the same way and would crack the fiberglas if tightend to tight.bd

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
Hey Chuck- since this thread was brought back up, I have to ask you about the combo spring arm and bolt-on leather-top quiver you posted a pic of back in October- that's not a stock quiver is it? I actually thought about cannibalizing one of my old spring arm quivers and taking the bolt-on bottom bracket off anothe leather top and using it on my T/D but I decided the top spring arm wasn't long enough for what I wanted to use it for. I bet you put this one together; Good Job!   Grant

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »
Hey GY you gotta get a long upper arm to fit the take down.The short arm will not fit the T/D's because of the latch(arms to short).I have them in green for the laster models but do not have a long brown upper arm...Heck I do'nt have one for my own 4 arrow leather cap..bd

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
Trap, I have your quiver packed.  Over the years I've accumulated a bunch of stuff.  Most of it now resides in collections other than mine, with the exception of books, magazines, photos and other paper items.  I specialize in the written, recorded history.  Others in the equipment of our past.  I found I couldn't do both justice so I stuck with what I enjoyed most.  The other was traded, sold or given away.

As Trap said, this quiver has a history and belonged to the late Sterling Harrell, my neighbor and friend.  When Sterling passed, with the exception of a phone call to express my families symapathy, I avoided his widow because I knew she would be plagued with folks wanting to buy his stuff, and he had one or two exceptionally rare items.

Weeks passed and a mutual friend of Sterling and I called, saying Mrs. Harrell wanted to see me.  I drove the mile or so to Sterling's home and as suspected she'd had many inquiries, particularly about Sterling's arrow collection.  She told me the family had taken what they wanted and she still had a bunch of stuff and was tired of worrying with folks.  At this point I told her to show me the stuff she didn't want and I'd purchase the entire lot.

Sterling had a small storage building in the back that he kept odds and ends in.  I checked it to see what was there and what do you think I found?  His arrow collection that everyone was bugging her to buy that she didn't realize was there.  Sterling had, for some unknown reason, moved it there from the place he normally kept it his house.  

Sterling was more interested in the utility of his equipement rather than the collectability, and it shows on most of his stuff because he used it.

I've been offered more than I sold it to Trap several times in the past but didn't sell it for some reason....maybe bad vibes.  Something about Trap touched a note this time and I sold it to him for a reasonable price and I'm happy to see it going to someone who will enjoy this piece pf history.  

I'm keeping Sterling's Hill style quiver he used most of the time.  He was a fixture here in Ruston and missed by many.  Most anytime driving by his home you'd see him in the front yard practicing trick shots or teaching someone how to shoot a longbow.    

The year or so before Sterling died he wanted some white arrows.  I made him up a dozen of full length dipped white with white maxi-fletch feathers, about as white as it gets.   :)   I'd had his stuff for a couple years, when for some reason I was fooling around with this old Hill back quiver and notice something I'd missed before.  When I turned the quiver upside down and dumped the contents, a broken, white arrow with a bloody Pearson Deadhead fell out...the last arrow Sterling used to kill an animal, one from the dozen I'd made him.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
I'm honored to have it headed my way Cliff.  Thanks for dropping by to "tease" these guys a little and share some history.

Check out the thread title. "Quivering with Anticipation"  I can't wait to see the quiver.  I'll share it with the rest of you guys as soon as I can.

This is pretty cool guys.  Stay tuned.

Trap

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
OK so I do not have a quiver in stock right now to show you guy's.However I do have a picture of a picture of one thats pretty cool.This is from my 1961 Bear Archery catalog.New for 1961 GStC quiver....bowdoc

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
Trap's getting one just like that; suede, no chest strap; but Glenn's signature is on the hood instead of the catalog.   :)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
Merry Christmas Trap.  It when out UPS this afternoon and might just make it by then.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
Yaaahoooo thats one heck of a nice gift your getting this year Trap you must have been a super good boy.Those St quivers are really neat too.I've hunted wearing them several times but she's a bit to big for me.They held about 13-14 arrows as I recall heck thats almost like wearing a backpack..bd

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
Mrs. Trap said I could buy it so I guess I've been a good boy.  She also mentioned I better build a heck of alot more feather rests so I'm not real sure.

Trap

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©