INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: "Quivering" with anticipation!!!!  (Read 5889 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Quivering" with anticipation!!!!
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
Here's another cool old quiver I got from a former Bear employee.It's not very pretty to look at but it is a rare one.It's a 1st year Rover quiver like the one pictured in the 1955 Bear catalog.Notice it has the small pouch with a snap on the front.All the Rover quivers I have seen have the zippered pouch but this one is just like the one shown in the catalog.Maybe it's the same one,who knows.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
Thanks Trap.Not very good at this.Here's one more for now,a group shot of some diferent Western quivers of various colors and lengths.Another black & white one.
  IMG]http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr118/johnnyrazorhead/Westernquivers.jpg[/IMG]

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
Lets try that one again.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
Good stuff. Thought I was the only quiver fool out there, think again. Feeling a lot better about the dozen or so quivers hanging up and not much afield plus getting some idea of what's out there to collect. Thanks

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
I agree Shaun, this is good stuff.  What better way to display arrows and patches and other cool memorabilia.

Glad you're getting the hang of the picture posting John.  I'm sure you have lots of great stuff to share.

Thanks for the tour, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
Thanks Trap.I liked this thread from the first time I viewed it.I'm like everyone else and love looking at all these great quivers,new and old.Here's a nice brain-tanned Plains style quiver a friend made for me many years ago from a deer I had shot.She does excellent work as far as tanning,smoking,and even the beadwork.It holds some hand made,flint tipped arrows I made.It's the softest leather I've ever had the pleasure of fondling.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
Here's the other side.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
My St. Charles quiver arrived yesterday from Cliff Huntington, but my "lovely" wife made me put it under the tree untill tommorrow morning, so I'm still "Quivering with Anticipation".  

She's fun like that. GRRRRRRRRRRRR

I'll share it with you soon.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
Looking forward to seeing it.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
Sorry but thats funny Daryl, but I feel for ya.  :D  

Thanks for sharing you quivers John, very neet!!

Brent

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
Ye Brent, Ha Ha, she thinks it's funny too.  Maybe the two of you should get together and think of new ways to torture me.  LOL

I probably would have ignored her, but my three girls 9, 7 and 4 were there when she suggested putting it under the tree and of course they jumped for joy at that idea.

Trap

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
No problem Brent.Glad you enjoyed them.Here's another shot of some earlier Bear Northwoods quivers.The three on the left are all Made in Detroit.The one on the right is an earlier Grayling suede model.Basically the same as the Detroit made suede one in the photo,just not marked Detroit Michigan like the other.All are center of the back models.Enjoy!

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
Sorry,all four quivers on the left are made in Detroit.The one on the right is Grayling era.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
:notworthy:  AWESOME   :notworthy:

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
And Daryl like it was not bad enough. John is kill in us with his collection. Like your present we can't wait for his next post  :thumbsup:  

For us older guy's its great that the things we know we have coming. Have us reliving the little kid's Christmas anticipation from years gone by.

Merry Christmas by the way!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
Well here it is folks.  Just an old quiver to some I suppose, but to me it's kinda special.  

You've probably already read some of the quiver's history, recounted by Cliff Huntington here on this thread.  

The quiver was owned by Sterling Harrell of Ruston Louisiana.  

Glenn St. Charles mentions Sterling in his book "Billets to Bow" on page 99 within a short chapter on Snapshooting.  Glenn recognized Sterling's style of shooting as one of simply lobbing arrows out there and letting them go when it felt right.  I figure he must have been fairly good to catch Glenn's eye.

At some point along the way Glenn St. Charles signed the quiver.  I'm honestly not sure if Sterling had that done or if Cliff did.  

The National Field Archery Association patch is dated 1962 and one can only speculate that Sterling attended the event in his neighboring state of Arkansas and perhaps wore the quiver while there.  

In any case, It's a suede model St. Charles back quiver with no chest strap and it does have the 3 rivets and metal band on the inside to hold form.  Not sure of the exact age of the quiver but it was introduced to the Bear catalog in 1961 and remained in suede untill 1964 when it was offered in Elk Hide.

It's an awesome piece of archery history and I'm proud to be, as Chuck says, the "caretaker" of it for the time being.  

Thanks Cliff, and if there's anything you'd like to add please do so.

Front View

Back View, wonder what was attached on the top left.

Modeled by a short "future" bowhunter

Trap

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: December 25, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »
Real sweet I love those things.That one's even better with a little history.bowdoc

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  great pics,the history is better.I'm lov'n it!   :jumper:

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
I had Glenn sign the quiver at a PBS Bi-Annual get together in Charlotte, NC.  Glenn was nice enough to send a signed and inscribed book to Sterling's wife Mozelle when I notified him that Sterling had passed.

Sterling, and I believe his son Van, shot at that NFAA National in 1962 in Hot Springs.

Sterling hunted here in Louisiana with Ben Pearson and was invited to one of Pearson's International hunts, one that Bob Swinehart attended.  Sterling was fond of telling about his time visiting and jawing with Swinehart.  

Sterling was instrumental, along with Ben Pearson's assistance, in getting an archery program here at Louisiana Tech [Archery; July 1961; pg. 42].

Sterling was inducted into the Louisiana Bow Hunters Hall of Fame.  His family and I had to do some fancy footwork to get him to the BSBA Annual Convention for his "surprise" induction.  We were able to convince him to accompany me, even though he wasn't feeling his best.  He felt a whole lot better on the drive home.   :)

He was a good fellow and always available to promote traditional archery.  I believe he beat Dan Quillian in an aerial contest at the the big longbow shoot that used to be held in Alabama; he was pretty good on moveing targets.  You can see that in those video clips posted elsewhere on this site.

Lots of great, old classic quivers in some of your collections.  Sterling would likely tell you guys to "use'um."

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
Excellent pictures and stories about the St. Charles quiver and about Sterling.It always makes these wonderful old "artifacts" more interesting to have a little history to go along with them.Some of my most favorite items in my small collection are not necessarily the most perfect,or the rarest,but the ones that have a little story to go along with them.Great stuff!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©