INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Collecting Bows, Why Bear?  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Collecting Bows, Why Bear?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
Good question Chuck.

According to my wife,  "If you have more than one bow, you're a collector...people only need one bow".

Women are way too practical most of the time, so it's a good thing they understand men.
Lon Scott

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »
Chuck, the answer is 3 I think.

In practical terms you have a Shooter, a backup bow, and everything else is a collection.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Chuck_Delsandro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 04:59:00 AM »
Blackhawk according to your wife I am a collector! Trap you need to take that picture off your avatar! It makes me light headed!
" It's not the breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away"

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 05:59:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
It's those feather rests that make you woozey
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Many bow lovers collect Bear bows just because they can. There are so many of them anyone can get in on the fun. Jim

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
Not so much a bear collector as an archery collector,not even much of an archery collector more of a scrounger, I buy the wooden arrows and old bows at yard sales, auctions and flea markets when I see them, quivers too usually,if it happens to be a bear product mores' the better.That being said,I think we as a community owe a lot if not most of the freedom,enjoyment we get and adventerous ideas we have to Fred the man who had the spirit and guts to make his passion his business.That's why I'll always own a hunting weight bear bow that's why I'll shoot bear arrows and razor-heads out of it,and that's why I'm looking for a bear back quiver now,I'm not an exclusive bear collector but I do feel Mr.Bear is owed a lot,and it may sound corny but I feel I do him some honor using his equipment for it's intended purpose.They're cool and shoot good too.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
I like Bears because my first store bought bow was a "Red Bear". There are also plenty of accessories still around to go with the bows. When I started my tiny collection it was with an idea of duplicating the 1958 Bear catalog in my "man room", then I find out there were at least 2 1958 catalogs and one of them had 2 variations. Who knows where it will end, there is just so much stuff with so many variations.    

Originally posted by Tradgal:

He is looking for a 1958-62 inch Bear Kodiak if anyone has one.......for a deal.
1958 Kodiaks were only listed in 3 lengths, 56", 60" and 64" no 62" model as far as I know.
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
I think there is a lot of influence from us "baby-boomers".  As a kid in the '60s the higher end Bears were what most of us wanted to own but few of us could afford.

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
I didn't start out collecting. buy one see another one could not live with out.and now up to 23 recurves.all bears but 5 shakespeare necedah's love them to.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Must be some kind of sickness that is going around. I bought five so far this week and this week isn't quite over yet.
Jack Shanks

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
Did you see the wood on that Kodiak Magnum just listed,,,that is why collectors are drawn to Fred's bows

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
I like them because they were one of the better bows that people were using in the early 60s when I started shooting a bow.
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
I think there is a lot of influence from us "baby-boomers". As a kid in the '60s the higher end Bears were what most of us wanted to own but few of us could afford.  
You got that one correct.  My first hunting bow was a '67 Grizzly for that exact same reason.  I envied my friend who actually owned a Kodiak back then.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
Looking back at my thoughts 6 years ago, and then looking at the '59 Grizzly hanging in my son's room. He was 12, the Griz was already 49 back then. A lot of arrows bit the dust, but the bow is going strong at 55.

Why collect Bear bows?

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
Nostalgia is one reason.

Probably the other is what has been written about collecting Bear bows and how to identify Bear bows makes it appealing to the 'common' folk. I don't recall ever seeing an article about collecting and identifying Brownings, Black Widows, ect.  It has nothing to do with the quality of those others, just the marketing, both past and current. Look at the posts here alone on Tradgang about 'what year is this Bear bow?'.  That kind of secondary marketing drives the interest.  

Fred Bear's personality and persona is probably the final big factor.  He was probably the most recognized personality and that translates to his bows.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
Like many of us older shooters, I bought new Bear bows in the early sixties because they were the best looking bows out there.  The widows then, which were popular at the field archery tournaments, had black painted risers, skinny limbs and were not good looking bows in my opinion. An older couple, one of which had two NFAA National instinctive division (bare bow) titles, both shot widows so I could of easily been influenced, but I just liked the Bears. Coming back to archery over 50 years later and looking around, studying new bows, meeting people in archery, and participating in local shoots, the three 55 to 53 year old Bear bows I acquired recently still are the best looking bows around. I really like the classic look of my Bear bows and can just study the rosewood patterns in those old bows endlessly. Have to remember that rosewood itself became scarce by the mid sixties and by 1963, it was evident that the rose wood in the '59 to early '63 bows was much finer in grain and deeper in color than the rosewood I observed at tournaments in late 1963 through 1965. My old Bears are still great shooters too, but this is sort of icing on the cake. Just proud of'em.

While there are fantastic custom bows being made now in regard to smoothness, good performing limb veneers and great shooters, the old Bears may not ever be beat for that classic look. Thats why there has been three bow manufacturers who have used the old Bear bows for design and why Bear themselves now makes reproductions.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
Great post Tony!

Offline Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
I used to have that underwear.  Wonder what a set would go for today?   :)
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."    - Oscar Wilde

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©