INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 65 kodiak  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
65 kodiak
« on: October 24, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
Got my '65 Kodiak up for trade in the Traditional Bows Classified area of this site.

I'm only trading it because somehow I got 2??

Offline Chuck_Delsandro

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 65 kodiak
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
What's wrong with having two?
" It's not the breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away"

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
Because I can use it to get 1 of something else.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Yeah...but then ya won't have two '65's

I got 80...never sold one of my great ones...only the run of the mill bows.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 02:09:00 PM »
Thanks Bill for the '65 Kodiak.  I shot 6 arrows with Judos in the rain when I got home and it's a deadly shooting bow.  Much faster than I expected from 41#.  I'm very pleased.  Hope you enjoy your pretty new toy as much.  Also enjoyed lunch.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
Well I won't shoot the 1966 66" Tamerlane you just traded me in the rain because it is just too darned pretty.

It was a pleasure meeting you today and hope it's not the last time our paths cross.

Guys - Richard is probably too modest to mention this. But one of the coolest things about this bow is that he shot with it in 1970 Maryland State Archery Championships. He has one picture of him, his trophy he won, and the bow he just traded me. He has another picture of the bow sitting on a rack at the shoot waiting to be shot. I have asked him for copies of the pictures.

Heck - this guy shot with Bill Fowlkes.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
OOOooohhh...Mr Bill...Say it ain't so!!

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
whats wrong jack- dont like my trade?

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
Just Pickin' at ya.

FYI...about 6 years ago, one of our sanitation workers bought two bows from one of our residents for $200.00 for the pair.  They were a matched set of Tamerlane HC 300's.  One was 69" 38# @ 28" and the other was 63" 28@ @ 26".  Both in excelelnt shape with stabalizers and compensators. I gave him $400.00 for the pair.  Best he would do, and he was not into arcehry at all.

Fred Carty of Vermont (Covbridge) had told me that if I ever ran across a Tamerlane under 30# he wanted it.  I contacted Fred and sold him the 63" for $200.00 + $20.00 shipping.

So basically we each have $200.00 into our bows, and we both felt that we had scored a super deal.

This might give you some reference of what yours is worth.  We always say that they are woorth what some one will pay, no more no less.  Well, that's what Fred and I paid.

In my opinion, both of these bows would have brought between $300 & $400 on ****...at the time.  Now, we all know that the market is soft right now and they probably won't bring that much right now but you can go to e8ay and look under compleated items and see what they are selling for now.

Ya done good.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
I think we both did well.  I've always wanted a Kodiak from the years of my beginning days (and also my wedding year) so I'm thrilled with Bill's.

Bill got a beautiful Tamerlane with original soft case from his birth year.  It's a bow you can enjoy just by looking at it.

We both are happy campers!
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
I was laying low on this one cause I kind of don't got nutten to trade kind of right now.And if you know me very well you know there are few things I will not do for a good Kodiak.We don't need to go there....But I was going to mention,I have a 1969 Tamerlane HC-300 72" 33#'s...half rosewood half micarta....Factory sight installed...Now I personaly put the value of that bow well within the value of a fare Kodiak..I don't shoot the Tam a whole lot...But when I do...I win with that baby....she's a nail driven machine and one of the finest shooting target bows ever built I think..But I know the value of the good target model bows has risen somewhat over the last 10 years....Wonder if it has anything to do with use getting older !! bowdoc

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
Well I shot the Tamerlane today. Wow! Extremely accurate and what a smooth draw. Like a hot knife thru butter. I think my arrows are spined a little heavy for this bow because they were kicking sideways a little. All my other bows are 45-50 and this Tamerlane is 35#.

Once I play around with the right arrows- this could well be my most accurate.

I am very happy.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
I have never owned or shot a Tamerlane, but just looking at those monsters, they shout "TACKDRIVER".
Lon Scott

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
I have my original '68 Tamerlane, and the '69 HC 300.  Both are solid shooters...and beautiful.

When it comes to a trade the success is measured by the satisfaction of the two parties, not on the subjective value of either bow.  If both paties are as satisfied as they seem to be...it is a great trade for both parties.  What is importand to one is different for the other.  Certainly swapping a great hunting bow for a great tournament bow is like swapping an apple for an orange. One likes citrus fruits better than non-citrus fruits.  EVERY BODY WINS.

Bill...make no mistake...the Tamerlane is NOT a target bow...it is one of the best "Tournament" bows ever made.

If you have about a 28" draw, try some Easton Aluminum 1816's.  That's what I shot tournaments with my 35# Takerlane back in the late '60's.

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Thanx for the input Jack - I shall give some 1816's a whirl.

Offline DAVE1275

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
I just picked up a '67 rosewood micarta Tamerlane last week.Can anybody tell me what the difference is between a Tamerlane and an HC30 or HC300. The one I got just says Tamerlane.Is one more rare than the other.I'd post a pic but have no idea how. It's 66" 30# Beautiful bow haven't even shot it yet. Thanks Dave

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
The basic bow is the TAMERLANE which, I think, started in 62 or 63.

I think in 66 they came out with the Tamerlane HC 30 which was all black Phenolic.  You could still get the all rosewood TAMERLANE that year.

In 67 they still had the TAMERLANE and the TAMERLANE HC 30.  In '68 they had the Tamerlane and the Tamerlane HC 300.  The HC 300 was Rosewood and Phenolic, although I have seens some HC 300's and Tamerlanes with what I think is hard rock maple instead of Rosewood.  These were the Blond Tamerlanes and HC 300's. I think in about 69 they dropped the Tamerlane and continued with just the HC 300's.

The all black HC 30 was very heavy in hand which I think led to its demise, and the advent of the HC 300 which was half rosewood and half phenolic, resulting in a lighter better balanced bow.

I bought an HC 30 in '67.  I shot it a while but could not contend with the heavy weight in hand.  I traded it for a brand new '67 Tamerlane.  This bow developed a crack in the riser so I sent it back to Bear on warranty.  Unfortunately they had no more '67 Tamerlanes to send as a replacement so I was forced to accept a '68 Tamerlane instead.  

Another member of our club ended up buying my old HC 30 from our dealer.  He loved the bow but also complained about the weight in hand.

The Tamerlanes were, and still are great tournament bows that I think could still hold their own against the more modern carbon limbed tournament bows of today.

We had a saying back them.  It is not the bow...it is the man behind the bow.  Archery Magazine used to do a profile on top tournament shooters every month.  The profiles were called "The Man Behind the Bow".

Offline DAVE1275

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. Very interesting.I'm fairly new to collecting Bear bows,learning something new everyday.I've been on a howatt kick here for awhile.I think I'm starting to become one of you Bear addicts fun but not good for the wallet.I wish this addiction would have been sooner I let some really nice bears come and go.Still love those Howatts though.Thanks again.  Dave

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
Don't knock the Howatts...they are fine bows themselves.

In some ways I prefer them to Bears.

As far as learning something new every day...I be at this for 53 years and I still learn something new here everyday.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
BILL

I know you said you got one with your bow...but check it out

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©