INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Applying gun stock finishes ?  (Read 702 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Applying gun stock finishes ?
« on: November 01, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
I like to use B&C gun stock true oil finish on some of my bows from time to time.That hand rubbed finish just looks so beautiful on some woods (like those sweet little walnut riser K-2's).I wanted to share a great tip that may help you keep the lint down to a min.and keeps those pesky little flicks of dry true oil like from the bottles neck off your projects too.I like to apply B&C gun stock true oil with a non texured powder free rubber glove myself.They keep you clean and the gloves are always lint free and clean.If you DO NOT try to apply to much finish at once.The rubber gloves will leave a nice smooth finish(take your time,lots of thin cotes is better).But you know how that darn true oil kind of starts to dry up around the neck of the bottle and if you leave the cap off to long.Like any good true oil it will get a crust over the top.Then ya gotta poke it with something to get more finish out and then those little flicks get onto your applacater,whatever you like to use as an applacater for your finish like a rubber glove,coffee filter,paper towels your old tee shirt.The trick is to make smooth even strokes with just like you were using a paint brush.But you can kind of burnish the true oil into the wood or fiberglass for that matter with a rubber glove that helps make it even smoother.But the actual tip is I've been using the coffee filters to strain the true oil thru onto the oil proof foil.If you pour a little true oil into the cofffee filter it will drain thru onto the foil.Then dip your applacater into the strained true oil on the foil and you will have strained out all those little flicks and crap.Give it a try next try and see what you think. bd      

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Applying gun stock finishes ?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 12:29:00 AM »
Nice tip Don I am sure many will benefit from it. By the way what did you ever find out about that 59 medallion?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »
Thank you.Yes is sure helps keep the job a little cleaner....Kurt is working on the coins as we speak.....bowdoc

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Hey Guys,
I have a 3r medallion getting estimates out right now, when time comes, Daryl is loaning me an original for an exact replica,so I'm waiting for word back,Since I'm picking a pro's brain and his contact's (for free) I have to be patient, I think it will be worth the wait.
               Kurt

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
PS sorry for hi jacking

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
Sweet we will all be waiting....hey there ai'nt no hi jackers in the collecters section...we all brothers.........bowdoc

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
Don:
A tip for you. There is a product that is virtually the same as true-oil in a larger container and much cheaper. Its made in Wash. state so you should be able to get it without problems. I use it on my custom arrows and have been for several years. its called "Daly's Pro-fin" Its a tung oil base just like True-Oil. I've used it on Gun Stocks, arrows, furniture just about any wood, its a great finish.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
Bob thanks for the heads up.I've heard of the product before and will give it a try.Thanks again.bowdoc

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
If you want a slightly satin finish the last coat apply with 0000 steel wool and rub it in (bowdoc probably knows this).  Never tried it on a bow but it works great on oil finished gun stocks.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©