INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear bow hunter's knife kit?  (Read 7084 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear bow hunter's knife kit?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
As far as fucsionable.I have never found any peace or is it piece of archery tackle that has served me as long or as well as my bowhunter kit.I love em...8 plus 8 plus 13 plus 21 total = 50 bears skinned with my bowhunter kit.I could not even tell ya how elk nd deer she helped skin.....they are a great item....Thanks Frank Scott...............bowdoc

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
You can alway's tell a real hunter by his gear....awesome doc!
Hunting elk in Oregon and hunting for Bears everywhere! (Grayling Bears!)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
In a conversation a couple weeks ago with Grant, I mentioned the two tones of leather used some of the Fred Bear Bowhunter's Kit. Grant asked to see a photograph. Just this morning I finally found the one I have been using with the Puma Hunter's Pal. Looked forever for the darn thing. It was where I put it at the end of the season last year, in the knife drawer !!!! Which, just happened to the last place I looked rather then the first place !!!!!

Thought I'd dig up this thread and post the photograph here...

Grant - As you can see the two-tone kits with the running bear logo have reversed light/dark leather. Both have the aluminum inner sheath to prevent the knife blade from going through the leather. They are pretty much the same sheath as far as the cut of the leather and stitching. The leather is much lighter on these two then the newer model at the far left, which is stamped with the script BEAR and has only the stone pouch make of lighter leather.

The sheath in the center with the lighter body and darker accents is the most appealing to my eye.

Hopefully, this comparison is more useful than my explanation.

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
Love the one still in the box. Really cool looking packaging. Thanks for sharing!!

All very nice sets. I saw one at a shoot for $400....too much for me. Does anyone make something similiar now?
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Since this thread came back around I thought I would post some pics of a couple of my stone,knife & file sets(Bowhunters Kits). I think these two are neat for several reasons.One is of course the fact that they are brand new,un-used,still in the box.Second is that they are both the older version with the nicer two-tone leather,metal knife guard,and stag handle Western knife.Third,like Wade's sets,the two-tone contrasting leather is opposite on each one.I like the same leather configuration as Wade also,just looks a little nicer to me.The last thing that I found interesting about one of these sets is that it doesn't have any Bear logo on it at all.Most all I have seen have the small running bear logo on the belt loop portion of the sheath.I don't know if it's visible in the pics but the set with the darker leather on the belt loop portion has no logo whatsoever.I've always wondered if this was a screw up at the factory or some other reason.Any ideas?
 I love these knife sets as much as any Bear collectible I have ever had and the packaging is darn near as cool as the knife set itself.Just thought I would share these great Bear Archery items with y'all.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
http://www.hidehandler.com/Archery_accessories.htm

Someone posted this link on Pow Wow a while back...
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
wow thanks Kevin thats a cool sight.I'am gonna save that one.bd

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
A couple more to l ook at.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
John - Cool set of matching opposite color Bowhunter's Kits - Wow new, unused in the box. That red bone 648 is super cool.

They look much better out of the boxes. You should display them like that...

You can send the boxes to me for safe keeping.    ;)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Wade- Thanks.The sets are absolutely flawless.The knife with the darker stag handle still has some sort of thin clear coating on the blade to protect it from rusting I imagine.Some has flaked off but you can still see it on there.Never saw that on a knife before.
 If I do decide to display them I will send you the boxes.Maybe you would trade me that old knife set you showed me with the Marbles knife in it.The one with the Bakelite pommel.Let me know.  :biglaugh:

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2009, 05:42:00 AM »
Rick - Does the sheath at the far right have a running Bear brand on it? Does it have an aluminum innersheath like yours on the far left

John - That old knife set wouldn't fit in at all with your unused, dead mint new sets. You sure don't want an old used thing like that detracting from your display.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
Wade- I think it would fit in perfectly with the newer knife sets.It would show how well a knife set can survive many years of use if cared for properly.I could display the new sets(without the boxes as you would have them)and the older used set(you traded me).I think it would really show that these knife sets were made to be used.
 You've got my address.I'll get those boxes packaged up.
 You asked about Rick's knife set having a running brand on it and wanted to show this knife set.Don't remember if you saw it at Compton or not.It's a newer style set but it has the running bear logo on the sheath instead of the scripted BEAR.Wonder if it's sort of a transition set between the two.Only one I've seen like it so far.It's faint but it's there.What are your thoughts.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
I going to ask Terry to pull this thread.Sorry about that guy's.I just can not set here and keep looking at bowhunter kits when I do not have one of my own.That just pisses me off because I was a more-on and sold both of the ones I had what and idiot.Damn it sometimes you think your doing the right thing at the time and it comes back to bite you in the butt.One of these days I'll have the dough when one comes up in my price range.you guy's suck bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
Bowdoc- Again,thanks for all the kind words.First calling out my stupidity on almost taking my eye out and now this.I want my compass back!!!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
you can forget about that compass now.I actually was not laughing really hard not like a belly laugh just a little snicker about your eye.I bet that hurt like a SOB too huh ? most likly for several days ? so its not like I was just busten up about that.
However all the bowhunter kit pics did it for me.I said to myself John and the boy's are just punishing me right now and all I got is an old ass 3rivers after market bowhunter kit for show and tell today ??? bd

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
Wade,The sheith at far right has the script Bear...Not sure about the knife.Is it common to see this knife in a newer set.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
Rick- The knife in your set on the right looks like the knife in my last knife set with the running bear logo.It's the knife that came in the set when I got it.

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Don....I'd love to see a pic of your 3 Rivers kit.....there....does that make you feel better... :^)
Tom I.

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
But the knife on the right in my picture is script,Not running Bear.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
Rick- I saw that your sheath is a Scripted BEAR logo but I'm saying that your sheath and knife are similar to my sheath and knife except mine has the running bear logo on it.Most of the sets with the running bear logo are like the earlier version with the aluminum insert for the knife.Both our sets appear to be later versions made the same except for the logo's but the knives are the same.Just thinking it was the next generation of stone,knife & file sets to be made after the sets with the aluminum insert.For some reason mine has the running bear logo on it but it's not made like the earlier two-tone,aluminum insert knife sets that we are used to seeing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©