INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear bow hunter's knife kit?  (Read 7082 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear bow hunter's knife kit?
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Doc - Like Tom, I would like to see your after market set too. I don't have one of those. Would be a nice comparison.

Rick - Thanks for the information. Don't forget that knives got lost and replaced. Knives got used and upgraded to a better one. Wouldn't even doubt it if a dealer changed out a knife or two in these sets. Especially if one like John's red bone was in a single knife sheath and caught someone's eye and they had a dealer exchange one in a kit to make the sale. I know lots of knives that have been ungraded in sets over the past 10 years. Also know of empty sheaths that have been filled.

Rick - If you can see the leather was formed tightly about the handle and/or blade, it would be pretty hard speculate that the knife was not original to the sheath.

John - Yes, I am sure there was a transition that took place during some time frame when the 648 changed, the sheath changed, and the running bear became the script bear. Anyone who believes all of those things were changed overnight on the same day and there were no transition sets, probably needs only to look at a few dozen more sets to make the discovery for themselves.

John - Nice try. You can unpack those boxes. That old knife set will probably stay right here until I croak.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Thanks Tom I feel lots better now.Soon as I come out of my shell I post a few pics.bd

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
Thanks John & Wade.I can see why the running Bear sets are the prefered.But I think there all pretty special.

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Wow, I have been reading this thread with lust in my heart too Bowdoc! But hey, Look Bowdoc...against my better judgement I'll send you $25.00 for that old Three Rivers aftermarket Piece of "Bullshrimp" Bowhunters Kit so you can get a fund started to buy one of the Really good  Origional "by God" Bear Bowhunters Kit's

Look, dont bother to clean the Bear or Elk blood off of the blade, or polish up the ratty old leather sheath. I'll take it "as is", just dont try to stick me with any addtional shipping charges! LOL

I'll need your address right away!
Your Friend,
Harry. LOL

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Soon as I get back from hunting my mission will be to aquire another original Bear Archery bowhunter kit.For now I just gotta settle for the after market one I have.I'll get a couple pics up asap of my 3river.bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
this is a bowdocs bowhunter kit.bd  

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
the sharpening stone and p-38 are not removable there held in place with double sided tape so you kind of have to use as is it works ok.bd  

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
:biglaugh:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Ugh....Doc, Maybe I really should offer what it appears to be worth....$5.75 (including shipping), I cant go no higher!!! LOL, You got me on that one Bowdoc, hehehe! You rascal!
Harry

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Bowdoc, I've said it before and I'll say it again......You cant Bullshrimp a Bullshrimper!!!
Harry.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
OK for real doo....now this is a bowdoc kit complete with a brand new file handle I made this week from the sight rail of a broken 1969 Super Kodiak.bd        

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
BD, That just may be the coolest file handle in existence!!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2009, 01:37:00 AM »
Rick-I agree,all the knife sets are pretty special.
  Wade- How did I know you would say that.Oh well,I tried.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2009, 01:45:00 AM »
I like the knife kit, but would find it hard to part 3G's to buy one online. I think Bowdoc has the right idea, at least until one turns up at a sale.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
Doc - Nice new file handle you made up....

Hey, if you are selling that SPECIAL DELUXE MAGNUM file handle - I WANT TO BUY IT !!!

Offline TimberlineX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
Of course, no Fred Bear Bowhunter’s Kit collection would be complete without a backup file in its factory Bear Archery File Case.

Bear introduced the File Case in the 1965 catalog, and carried that item for a good many years. The company also changed the style slightly over those years, as is evidenced by the two slightly different specimens below.

In 1965, the year Fred killed a lion in Africa, the Bear Archery File Case sold for $1.25 and the complete Fred Bear Bowhunter’s Kit was priced at just $9.95. Something tells me we’ll never see those prices again!

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
Very true Bill. I could also see a double feature, hit the snack counter, and head over to the Five and Dime afterwards for a comic or model airplane if I had a buck fifty to spend, LOL. I have one of the old file and sheath sets that my son has in a display. Oh my, for today's paycheck and yesterday's prices.     Grant

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2009, 01:23:00 AM »
Bill - Thanks for posting the two variations in the file case. I was not aware of the different sizes. Are both marked with a large script BEAR on the belt loop and a smaller script BEAR below the opening?

The back of this File Case is ink stamped 3140, which is shown as the number in the 1968 Catalog. The 1967 Catalog shows the File Case number as K-252.

Bill - Are your File Cases ink stamped with a number on the back side?

Not sure of the year that the white handle replaced the brown handle.

Offline TimberlineX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
Wade,

In yet another example of how Bear Archery subtly altered products over the years, all three of the Bear Archery File Cases I still have are slightly different. Two are of the wider style. One is of the narrow style. I have no idea how many other styles might exist.

None of the File Cases I own are marked, like yours, with a large Bear script on the front of the belt loop. Only the narrower model has the smaller Bear script impressed on the dark-colored leather of the front of the sheath.

Of the two wide models, one has no part number ink-stamped on the back. The other has a faint ink stamp on the back that appears to read 3135, which is the Bear number for the File itself. I have no idea why it’s stamped with that number.

The narrow model is ink-stamped 3140 on the back.

These sort of product variation are what drive us collectors nuts.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
Bill,

It is almost unbelievable that the 4 File Cases we are talking about are all different variations. I would not be surprised to learn that other variations exist.

This is one of the simpler leather products that may have been put together by the lesser experienced personal and may have been made from leather remnants. Both could account for variations of the finished products.

Yes, these sort of product variations could drive a collector crazy... but then all collector are crazy already.

Just knowing there are several variations of File Cases educates us to expect to see the previously unseen.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©