3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One bow for One year  (Read 699 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
One bow for One year
« on: December 03, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
This may sound silly but for the past several years I haven't been able to shoot just one bow for the entire year.  I know that to be the very best I can be I need to stick with just one but always end up grabbing one of the others just for fun.  So this year I've decided to unstring all my bows but one and shoot it exclusively.  I'm hanging my hat on my Shelby Longbow 80# @ 27" and sticking with my cedar arrows.  We'll see how this goes!

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One bow for One year
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
Good luck.  I know if I had more I would definitely try to shoot them some each year.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
Good Luck.  It ain't gona happen  :D    :archer:  

It's in our blood!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
Lots of guys stick with one bow for a long time. I know Guru has shot the same Kwyk Styk since 1997 and has only shot his schaeffer a couple times in all those years and just recently got a lighter KS. I hae been shooting the same bow for about 7 months now. Shawn
Shawn

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
When I get my new Sentman Razorbak in the spring my goal is to only shoot it for the same reason as above....
    One bow and one arrow setup....Well see.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
I try to pick out my primary bow of the season, and I'll shoot that bow almost exclusively from late summer through the season.  A whole year?  Can't do it.   :help:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
I basically do the same as SlowBowinMO.  I shoot several early in the year and settle in on a hunting bow for the season in late summer.  I will sometimes go to a little lighter bow very late in the season when the weather is really cold.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
I think the idea that one has to shoot one bow only to be the best is a myth.  Folks say the same thing about guns.  That's a myth too.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
Hmmm, guess I'm the odd duck.  I've got about 15 recurves and two longbows in the house and pretty much none of them get shot but my Lontree longbow.  My recurves have plenty of dust built up on them.

Of course, I have to clarify, most of the recurves are light draw weights that I've picked up over the years so that my kids will have plenty of choices as they get older but I have three to five or so that are heavy enough for me to hunt with.  I just prefer my longbow.  It pulls smoothly to my 32" plus draw length and could easily go farther.  Of my recurves, only the old Root 68" Target Master pulls as smoothly but it lacks the speed of my longbow.  Probably because it pulls 50 at 28 instead of 60 like my longbow.  That puts it at about 60 lbs at my draw instead of about 70 for the longbow.

And yes, arrows are a bugger.  I have to foot them to about 34 inches then taper them back.  My longbow likes about 100 - 105 pound spine...
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
I've had some jealous bows in the past. Bows that hated me shooting any of my other bows. I'd start to take another to a 3D and I'd just have to stop because of the nagging of a certain longbow. "What are you taking that recurve for? You know I'm your favorite!" I'd finish getting the recurve in a bowsock and I'd hear her continued. "If you shoot that recurve I'll never shoot right for you again. You know I mean it!" So I'd put the recurve up and take the jealous longbow. So I decided to send the lealous bow around like Faith and Hope and the LDB. 3 months apiece to 12 different guys all around the country. They get to see how well a Crooked Stic three piece longbow shoots and I get 3 years to play with other bows.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
I sometimes will hunt with 2-3 different bows in a week, but during the summer I shoot all my bows alot, to the tune of a couple huge broadhead targets wore out and a 60# bag target shot to death. I just shoot the bow for about a hr. the day before I hunt with it to let my brain adjust to where it hits. Have always been able to switch back and forth, a bow is a bow just have to let the old computer upstairs adjust...JMHO
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
For years it was always the same. Start out with the 50 big 5, then jump to the 64lb. Schulz Legend, shoot the 96 abit in September the back to the 64 for the rest of the year.  Worked great until I couldn't use the 64 for everything because of elbow injuries.  Now it is musical bows, but I am trying to stick to one Robertson.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
Well right now I have a few bows hanging. A Super Shrew , a TurkeyCreek, and a Saxon american longbow.I can pull any of them off the rack and send a few all with about the same degree of accuracy . The hardest part during hunting season is grabbing one Friday night sending a few and taking that bow in the woods the next morning.I guess I just like bows.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
Sorry the saying is true, beware of the man who shoots jutst one gun or one bow, all th ereal great shots can shoot pretty good with most any bow with well matched arrows but when it come to shooitng and winning stuff and killing lots of critters they all shoot the same bow. Look what Hill shot and look what Fred Bear shot, they had one ot two favorites they did all their shooting with. Shawn
Shawn

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
I do way to much trading around to shoot just one bow but Im going to stop doing that this year and settle on one bow. Right now I have 2 Griffin longbows that are very nice but for some reason I shoot a Hummingbird much better than I do any other bow so I thinking on selling both of them and having a new Bird built and just shoot that one bow . (If I can stand the temptation ). I know I will be a much better shot if I will just do it .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
I am VERY guilty of swapping bows, from a longbow to a recurve, cedars and Aluminums, but all about the same 63@28. this year I swore i would stick with one bow throughout our 5 month bow season, for 2 months before season I shot pretty much the bow I was gonna hunt with, I shot a 63@28 PSAII widow recurve, so far this year,have taken 4 deer and a pig, and have shot better than I ever have in a year on game. But with one tag left am now thinkin i need to "finish out" on deer with a longbow.. I knew I could never make it....  But do feel shootin one bow is the way to go, if ya can do it.. personally I think i would go into withdrawls or something...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
I shot my Schafer for nearly 10 years before retiring it to a Hill Longbow.  Shot it for a few years before discovering bow making bug.  Now shoot mostly primitive stuff that I've made myself.

The way I see it, performance is moot at 12-15 yards with heavy arrows!!!
Hill

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbowman:
80# @ 27"  
:eek:    :eek:
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
Shawn, I actually think it should be refined to "Beware the man that has shot hundreds of guns, then decided on one and now shots only that one."
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
I am on my second logbow in fifteen years.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©