INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Last year of the compass?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
Last year of the compass?
« on: November 04, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
What was the last year a compass was an available? thanks  greg
Hunting elk in Oregon and hunting for Bears everywhere! (Grayling Bears!)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last year of the compass?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
Hi Greg it was only standard one year 1954.But I've seen them factory installed as late as 1961 I believe it was....bowdoc

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:55:00 AM »
wow doc thanks. Ive been looking into what I believe is a 1967 1/2 58" hunter that has one, and the latest factory installed one I could find was 1960. thanks again, greg

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
OH yeah bear or bear dealers would install anything anytime.For a price....bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
I have two Jack Howard bows with compass installed.  One I installed myself, one Jack did for me.  

My point is, it may or may not have been factory installed.  Not a hard thing to do neatly. The compass is available from 3 Rivers.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
Keep us posted if it's the brass type used by Bear Archery or an after market...bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
Ok I had to come back to this one and I'am aware that most all of us have seen the Bear compass listed on that friggen sight we can't mention,them stupid idiots.And I may very well be the idiot myself.As maybe no one did see it and I just blew my cover..with that said.I am going to bid $1,250.00 on that compass so if any of you boy's want to go head to head and toe to toe with the bowdoc you better....Just kidding gee's what-do-you think I'am nuts ? don't answer that.I really would like to have it for a project I'am working on.And my own K-2 does not have a compass in it.Well it did,but it got broken and I truely do love that bow.But thats not what I wanted the compass for anyhoo.I wanted it for my take down.But again if I had the compass in hand,I may just decide save the K-2's life.neat item and will be out of my league...bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
I wish I could post pics.  I would like to show the compass on my Jets.  I have them on the back of the bow, just below the shelf in the little glass section just above where my index finger sits.  This way when holding the bow in my hand hanging by my side, I can just point the upper tip where I want to go, look down and get a compass reading.  Works really well, and the Jet has a large enough section there to accomodate the comapss.  Mine is not the copper compass, but the black plastic one.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
Its the brass one for sure doc. It seems to be all factory work( + camo), but only a trained eye like yours could be sure..hint hint ha ha.

Jack  we all need to see some of these beautiful and unique things. The custom compass on the back of your jet sounds really cool.    greg

Offline Mountain_Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
ive seen where some say the compass models shouldnt be shot...as they are likely to break. ..supposedly the original design was only produced that yr (54) because of this. ... whatcha think? shooters or not?
A wise man will ask for advice. The wisest of men are selective in whom they ask.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
Nope never seen any broke around the compass.The 55 56 are alomost the same design as the 54.bd

Offline Mountain_Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 02:29:00 AM »
10-4 on that bowdoc... just curious 'cause i read that... heres a link to one of the collectors ideas about them.

http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/Collector/beararchery/index.html
A wise man will ask for advice. The wisest of men are selective in whom they ask.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 07:04:00 AM »
Yes I did click on the link,but already knowing what it says...And the only thing I will say is those 3 guy's cook up alot of crap back then.They did not know the correct answer so they just made something up...like the 60's something Kodiak built with uncured riser wood.Fred would have pistol whpped them guy for saying that.But it's cool....sometime I will tell the real story of about 4-6 colllecters whom made up several story...for profit only.Not to preserve archery....like the stories about Bear Archery only made 400 A risers and 400 B riser....more bull shrimp they made up to get a higher selling price..bd

Offline Mountain_Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
haha... so, them dudes just full of bull hockey then, huh?!?!   :)  ... well, well... i reckon i'm gonna learn alot of stuff i dont need to know on this here internet...   :knothead:

people will do anything for a little money and recognition ...oh well, i guess thats a good thing that i found this out now... cause i really like the compass models... i will get one for sure AND SHOOT the crap out of it..   :thumbsup:  ..mountain

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
Ye...never shoot a Kodiak Deluxe either...Instead, send the most beautiful bows fred ever made to me and let them blow up in my face  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
Good morning Doc..You mean to tell me they made that s.it up about only 400 a handles made in 1970.  Dam >> I read that and put it in one of my auctions for an A handle. I guess that guy was right when he said..Believe only half of what you see and non of what you read!
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
Ya thats another funny one.Some of those jerkwadds made that crap up about the Crystal lights.Those bows never did have any problems.The problem was the clear glass showed stress cracks right out of the forms and Bear Archery could not paint over the clear glass to hide them.So in order for those scum-bucket collecters to buy your bow off you cheap.They would say don't ever shoot them Bear only made that bow one year because they blew up...once again I'am going to have to call bull shrimp on those jerks.Little trivia for today...one of them told me that bull shrimp once whom I will leave nameless,and actually back then I did kind of believe em...Now the pisser...I was once the proud owner of the factory camo Kodiak deluxe pictured in the bear Archery catalog.Yes its true.I purchased the bow off Bob we will leave his last name out for now.Then one scum bucket collecter needed that year and model.He had the other guy set me up as to the fact the bow was not shootable and should not even be strung.So on his word I traded the bow to the other collecter.....To prevent this post from being pulled.I will not go into what I really want to say about them...but I will say this.As long as I'am alive,I will always tell you the straight up to the best of my ability.I have never ever nore will I ever tell you a lay to get your bow cheap.To me thats like some scum bag dope dealer....Cheats and lairers are what some of them are.And will go to any length to get a bow they want.The sad thing is,I personaly have not and never ever will ever make any dealings with any of the 3 collecters again I did not mention.And I don't think this will get pulled for this but I would rather kick thier asses then to ever buy sell or trade them any archery tackle again.They distory all that I believe in and I would pistol whip them into a coma if I had a chance trust me on this one.....bowdoc

Offline Mountain_Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
haha,..trap.. i'll be sure to do that.  :D  ... shew, this is really good info...thanks guys for helping out so much... being new i've been researching all i can. I guess the info gathered is just goin' to vary depend'n on the collector and his/her reasonings behind the statements put out there... but, i'll learn a thing or three in the meantime..haha.

i am obsessed with this already and aint even shot my first arrow yet. I had to order $270 worth of accessories just to get me started(it aint been deliver'd yet)...haha. And that aint including my griz and 68 mag i just bought..shew ..but, in all fairness i "really" needed that stuff..haha

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
Hey Mike I just saw your post...yes its true.I know Bear started with number 1000 of the standard production and it went to 2499 at least.1000 to 2499 seems to add up to a bit more then 400 to me..but here's the killer the serial numbers started with 1000 as mentioned.But there were also 100 handles that had a serial number which started with 0100 and went to 0199 they are actually a very chocolate brown and tan...so that makes another 100 they kind of forgot to mention......bowdoc

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
Where does a guy get off making this bull up! They should not be putting that stuff to print on those trad sites. I'm just telling ya, I learning something new every day.  Thanks for the good info Doc. When is your book coming out?   :help:
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©