INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Super rare Bear Super K T/D  (Read 703 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Super rare Bear Super K T/D
« on: November 06, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Wow this thing took some time to find.Well hidden in my shop....yes thats correct.Super rare and almost never seen in captivity.Bear Archey 1969 Super K take down.OK so thats what I really wanted anyhow,nope not no regular black and tan T/D.Only the 1969 Super did it for me.So I had one that the upper limb got broken on a dry fire and I was really bored one day about 8-10 years ago.So I decided thats it.I'am going for it.I have about 20-25 sets of bingham take down limbs I got in a trade some years back.I selected a good set and figured they would end up around 55-65 pounds.The bow ended up around the high 50's 57-59 ish.I mounted some take down screw in sockets and pins as seen in the pic.Everything was going great and I figured at that point this will be some new inovation.Mounting T/D limbs onto your favorite broken bow.Pretty cool huh? OK not so cool.I finished the tiller up and walked out to my back yard.I shot about 10-12 arrows out of her.She was just hummen too.Man I was driven nails that day.I figured I better get Mrs bowdoc to snap a couple pics of her hubby shooting this super rare one of a kind 1969 Bear Super Kodiak t/d.Well about the time she walks out the back door with camera in hand.I'am at full draw.Yap you got that right.That SOB pulled the upper socket right out of the riser.Man that thing cracked me over the head so hard I was a little wobbley for about 30 minutes.I wanted to share this one.I thought you guy's could use a little laugh today.Never try this at home.This should only be done by an idiot danger danger.But I do have to admitt it was pretty funny about 3 days later.bowodc  

Offline kenscollick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super rare Bear Super K T/D
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
Do I hear a nomination for DA.#4 ?

Aside from that you are Da Man

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
Hey I think your right Ken.bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Gotta wonder if ther is any way to take a seet of clamps off of a Bear Takedown, then work some other bow dow to accept the clamps, and use it with a set of regular takedown limbs.

I have a Jim Brackenberry riser that he made to take Bear limbs.  He only made two risers like that and another collector has the other in Idaho.

I have the riser with a set of Silvertip limbs that were made to use with a Bear riser.  

I know I could never do it, but somebody that know how to work wood probably could.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Here's a little trivia Jack.I sold two risers several years ago with Bear sockets.Built by at the time I thought it was Paul Schaffer as Paul used to offer Bear limbs for sale until bear archery contacted him and told him to stop or else...Ted Fry at Raptor bought most of his stuff from Dave of which I ended up tradeing for the two take downs and two one peace Paul recurves.I rapped the limbs off the t/d's and then sold one riser to Philip Leone and one to Tom Baldwin.Tom was living in Co.then.But has since moved to eastern Washington.As far as I know Phil is no longer a bow collecter and I have no idea what ever happend to that one.But Tom still has his.I'am certin Jim also built one or two himself and several sets of limbs.There was a set of Paul limbs for sale on the big E about 6-8 weeks ago.I did not bid because the weight was not writen on the limbs.Pauls stuff was generally in the 65-80 pound range and there was no way I was going to risk buying them and not be able to use them.That stuff is pretty darn rare for sure.I don't need to tell ya how many times I've beat myself over the head for selling those two...bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Doc

Thanks for the history, and I can solve the mystery...I got the riser from Phil in an e8ay auction...with no limbs.  In a discussion with Tom, I learned that he had the other one.  Comes out that he paid less for his with a set of limbs that I paid for the riser only.  He sent me a picture of his and it is the twin of mine.

According to Tom, both these risers were found in Jim's shop after his death in a boating accident.  You never know if you are getting the right story, but that is the one I got.

You are correct.  Tom retired in Colorado and moved to East Washington State where he would be about half way between one of his kids in Washington, and one in Idaho.  I lost touch with him years ago.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
For God's Sake what a story! LOL

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Holy balls small world huh Jack.Your probley right about Brack building them.Man thats super cool.I always wonderd what Phil did with the riser.Now I know.I talked with Tom about 6 months ago when he and Jonie stopped by my house for some coffee and cookies.bd

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
Just to clear up this old thread , it was Jim Brackenbury that the takedowns were made by not Paul Shafer, I got them after Jim had passed in the boating accident, not sure where Don came up with that story , must have been doing a bunch of refinishing that week.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
Hey Ted, is Rod's class filled up?

BTW, I saw Tom's riser (made by Brack) for sale at a shoot this past summer, and see that he did sell it on the classifieds to a Bear collector.

Yes, I miss Don's ramblings on here and wish he could return for more "archery history and tall tales."
Lon Scott

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 01:59:00 AM »
I bought Toms td Lon. I tried to get Don to contact me about trading if he had something as I knew he liked it and wished he had back. Well I ended up selling it to another fellow probably a month ago. Was a nice piece but just didn't do it for me as a Bear collector. I think the wingnuts turned me off.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
Lon , We have 5 people so far and a few spots still open. Will fill up by July so if you want a refresher better jump in.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
Ted, that was a great course and I sure learned a lot.  Extending my draw length another 1-2" was one of the highlights.  I will keep an eye on the roster and keep it in mind if my schedule allows.

Yes Shane, those wing nuts were too much distraction for me too.
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©