INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: what else do you collect  (Read 1367 times)

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
what else do you collect
« on: November 07, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
Besides archery equipment like bows,arrows,broadheads,quivers,books and such what else do you guys collect or hoard ? I have a little of everything  like turkey calls, bamboo flyrods, decoys, typewriters, tube radios, shotgun shells, bottles and a few vintage putters
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: what else do you collect
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
Old kitchen granite ware..blue swirl and green swirl. Like coffee pots, tea pots, cups, and such. Most are from the 1940's and 50's.
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
Anything that catches the eye at a good price...fishing, wool clothing, bear traps, pictures, prints, Zane Grey, James Oliver Curwood, Rex Beach old furniture and trinklets to put in all the corners.

Offline DAVE1275

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
Vintage coal minng hats, lunch buckets,lamps ect...

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
Sports cards (Baseball Football and Hockey), Civil War prints by Dale Gallon, Boy Scout Memorobilia, and World War 2 Rifles.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
Bass Guitars. And some cast iron cookware.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Vintage traps (Newhouse Traps) and other old trapping gear such as pack baskets.  Some waterfowl stuff such as Mason and other working duck decoys.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
belt buckles with deer or hunting related, have a collection that should be in the smithonian.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 02:24:00 AM »
vintage archery/bowhunting photographs, antique Mitchell fishing reels, wildlife art and prints, bronze busts, wild game recipes, good friends.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 04:03:00 AM »
Custom damascus knives.

Used to collect rare sea shells ,specifically cowries. Got a bit expensive so sold them all,LOL.

Have a small zuni fetish collection, specifically Wilfred and Fabian Cheama pieces.

Ranger style belt buckles, especially prison made from Huntsville, Tx.

Wife thinks I am a pack rat,LOL.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »
Women..........bowdoc

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 06:53:00 AM »
Arrowheads from the desert.  Wife and I also metal detect so we have a collection of metal "junk" also.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
OK just kidding about the women deal(archery collecter)keep this somewhat archery related remember? My son and I used to be big time baseball card collecters...But then one day the market was like super super good for selling.We sold half our collection to a guy who was opening a card shop.But I'am really a scrounger more then anything else.Buy sell trade is pretty much what I've always done.But I truely do and I'am sure some of you guy's noticed,truley do love archery tackle collecting restoring and the preservation of archery items and archery history to the best of my ability.Pretty weird I know,we all are.I should again and have had treatment for my sickness.But the doctors just keep end up buying bows off me,go figure.bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Old working decoys.

When I was a kid, the big deal was duck hunting.  My dad had over two hundred various breed decoys.  All hand carved  wooden blocks.  As plastic decoys became more prominant the old woodies went into the top of the shed.  One day a collector wanted to see them.  Dad pulled them down and showed them all.  He offered $200 each for the whole collection. Dad turned him down. Instead of putting them back in the shed, dad put the sacks of decoys behing th shed, out of sight with the intention of picking them up later.  He forgot.  About three years later I realized it and went through sacks.  about 75% were ruined to weather exposure.  After my dad died, my sister and I split what was left.  I have about 40 old originals...mostly canvasbacks, pintails, mallards and ring necks.

Got no idea of what they are worth today, but they are a connection for me with my dad and the many cold mornings we spent together in the duck blind.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
Trap you and collect the same thing's also old newhouse traps used to know a old goverement trapper I think he gave my more newhouse traps than he should have.
 My best he gave me are seven 4 1/2 wolf traps with the teeth

doug77

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
Wow Doug, I need a friend like that, LOL.

As I get older, I seem to like old stuff more and more.  Hmmmm

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Trap one time at free dump day I picked up and old bear trap with teeth it is missing the pan so I dont't really know who made it but sure looks nice in my room.

doug77

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
I collect a lot of "stuff" but aside from archery gear, my next passion is shed antlers. Then after that, Mammoth ivory and teeth along with pre-historic Bison fossils.
No matter what type of bow is shot, we're all archers.

Offline deadfallpaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
Anything hunting-fishing-trapping. Especially like decoys and knives
Also collect early 1800's stoneware and along with my wife, trade blankets( Hudson's Bay,Early Whitney,etc.)
Common Sense Isn't That Common!

Offline Frank1107

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
I collect New York State Native American artifacts. Mostly prehistoric (Paleo, Archaic, Owasco,etc.)and some historic up to mid 1700's. Some Old World Artifacts (Primative Man - Homo Ergaster and NEANDERTHAL) I guess that is about as "Traditional" as it gets. Buffalo Nickels, and now it seems Bows, namely Dale Dye (I love Dale's workmanship)and most recently Bear (or al least trying to collect a few).

Frank

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©