INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: what else do you collect  (Read 1366 times)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what else do you collect
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
I collect military rifles, .22 classic and military, classic doubles, Winchester, and holsters and other paraphenalia related to them.

I also collect old working decoys and have a large collection scattered throughout the house much to my wife's chagrin.  I have a decent wildlife and waterfowl art collection too.

I like old knives and just about any old thing I guess not unlike many here.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
Collecting? Collecting?
Hell no im not a "collector"!!! I need this stuff, it's a matter of survival!...The bows, the old bamboo flyrods, the old creels, the old double barreled shotguns, the knives, the old trapper nelson backpacks......If I ever get my last two sons out of the house (stated with love and admiration boys!), I might have a "man room" to show off some of this stuff! God no, I cant afford to be a collector, my wife would kill me!
LOL... Harry.
PS( I will say this, I dont have a single thing in my "collection" ...er...er pile of necessaary stuff that I dont use in the field, or on the stream. No wall hangers for me. My brother likes to call it Harry's Potential Museum of Neat Old Stuff!)

Offline 4406v

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
For those of you who haven't figured out my handle (4406v) this stands for 440 six venturi which in the Mopar collector world is 440 six pack.I was born in 1964 and raised through the musclecar years in old Mopars (1965 Barracuda,1968 Charger R/T) so the old musclecars are a part of who I am.My current ride is a completely rebuilt by me 1970 Dodge Challenger with a 440 six pack engine that is Plum Crazy Purple (original color) I enjoy drag racing,going to car shows and just plain driving my old car.I get a kick out of the comments when people see the car I built with my own two hands.

I also love old guns especially model 37 Ithaca pump shotguns and any old Remingtons.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Old working decoys.

When I was a kid, the big deal was duck hunting. My dad had over two hundred various breed decoys. All hand carved wooden blocks. As plastic decoys became more prominant the old woodies went into the top of the shed. One day a collector wanted to see them. Dad pulled them down and showed them all. He offered $200 each for the whole collection. Dad turned him down. Instead of putting them back in the shed, dad put the sacks of decoys behing th shed, out of sight with the intention of picking them up later. He forgot. About three years later I realized it and went through sacks. about 75% were ruined to weather exposure. After my dad died, my sister and I split what was left. I have about 40 old originals...mostly canvasbacks, pintails, mallards and ring necks.

Got no idea of what they are worth today, but they are a connection for me with my dad and the many cold mornings we spent together in the duck blind.  
Oh man.  Stories like this are all too common.  My hunting partner who is 15 years my senior grew up in Havre de Grace, MD and had a whole rig of Madison Mitchell decoys from the 40s he hunted with.  The rigs were huge as they hunted canvasbacks and bluebills in body booting rigs.  Every one went into the wood stove.

Another friend more my age was related to the famous Barnes family from Havre de Grace and had a whole rig of Madison Mitchell cork geese he stored in a shed outside.  The mice got to them a basically ruined every one.

It's enough to make a grown man cry.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
:(
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
Nothing like a spread of about 100 canvasback decoys bobbin' on the waves.

This was a common sight from my childhood in South Louisiana.  

It's funny how we take these things for granted.  That was the norm for us.  I though everybody did it.  Now, over 50 years later, I look back and think how lucky I was for these experiences with my dad.  That's why I can never let 'em go.

One of these days I'll tell about how my old hunting' buddy and I used to shoot ducks on the fly with Flu Flus. What an experience!!!    :archer:
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Jack,
I never shot at a duck with a bow but did shoot a chuckar partridge on the wing once with a Ben Pearson longbow.  Quite a rush and I don't even have a picture.

I'll have to tell you about my truly bizarre hobby of body booting ducks and geese on the Susquehanna Flats in MD one time.  A sport only for the very hardy or very foolish.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
4406v thats funny.I guessed your handle sometime ago.I just knew you was a mopar guy..Thats great.Some fine fine rides from days gone bye..bd

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
Flint and any stone used to make arrowheads. Horns from moose and others. Larger slip joint folders and most other knifes as well. Had a stint collecting cork bottles as well. I have a pretty good collection of my own flint pieces. Also have a few guns. Mostly archery stuff right now. Good subject though.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
bills and dis-connect notices   "[dntthnk]"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©