INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Quality difference Ks and KHs?  (Read 479 times)

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
Quality difference Ks and KHs?
« on: November 08, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
Hello?

Is there a difference in build quality between, lets say, a 1966 Kodiak and a 1967 Kodiak Hunter? I know the Kodiak was the top end models but I wonder why exactly. The Kodiaks ended in 1966 and were replaced by the Super Kodiaks. The Kodiak Hunters started in 1967 and were still made out of wood that year (not futurwood).

The Kodiak Hunters are starting to look real good to me and they are generally cheaper and more available than the Kodiaks.

Simon

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quality difference Ks and KHs?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »
I have a 70 Kodiak Hunter. In Kodiaks I have a 59,63,65, and 66. I love my Kodiak Huneter - it is a beautiful bow. BUT - I must say it does not draw as smoothly nor is it as accurate as my Kodiaks.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
Don't know where I heard this, and if I am wrong I'm sure I will be corrected.

Phenolic was coming to be the in thing.  Instead of having a phenolic Kodiak and a wood Kodiak, lime they did with the tamerlanes, thy killed the Kodiak line and brought out the Kodiak Hunter and the Super Kodiak

Their intention with the Kodiak Hunter was to have a longer version of the Kodiak Magnum riser...hence the Kodiak Hunter.  The lines of the '67 Super Kodiak are almost exact as that of the '66 Kodiak.

As far as quality goes, I don't think there is less quality in a Kodiak Hunter than there is in a Kodiak, except that the whole design of the bows are totally different.  Some will preffer the Kodiak, some the Kodiak hunter.  Now, in my opinion, there was a step down in quality of the riser wood as the Kodiaks were Bubinga, then Golden Rosewood.  The Kodiak hunter went to Shedua, whick may have made a good solid riser, but it was not as exotic as what the Kodiaks had.

Keep in mind that the key words here are "in my opinion".  Some will disagree.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
I have a 1966 Kodiak (#53) and two 1971 or 72 (I can’t tell those years apart) Super Kodiaks (#45 and #55) and the only difference I see in the lines between the K and the SK is the grip. It’s smaller on the Super Kodiak. I prefer the Kodiak’s grip personally. One more difference I see is the shelf. Super K’s shelf is falter than the Kodiak’s.

Simon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©