INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: aluminum laminated bows  (Read 567 times)

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
aluminum laminated bows
« on: November 10, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
I have a kodiak with the bi-directional glass (basket weave) that looks about like the day it was sold. I know alot of these bows broke, and was wondering what you think my chances would be of shooting and not having it blow up in my face. This was sold in 51, the year i was born. i would really like to shoot a white tail with it but not at the expence of being stupid and breaking the bow. What do you think the chances of it holding up would be? Looking for an answer from you real bowdoc, i trust your judgement, believe it or not.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: aluminum laminated bows
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
If the bow has aluminum laminated in it your chances of blowing the bow are high. If there is no aluminum I would go for it.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »
Ditto
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
I think Bjorn was shooting a alum lam Kodiak a few years ago, not sure if it broke on him or not...sounds like a 1950 model you have there with the woven glass backing. Good luck, where a helmet.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
If it's an aluminum lam and you shoot them to much you will soon find out why that bow was only produced one year.The aluminum was to smooth for the glue to stick to and very pron to heat expanstion.Which also lossend the glue lines.I was shooting an alum.lam Polar which was cool and seemed OK.But as we shot a bit more it seemed as if your line of sight was changeing.It was,once we unstrung the old girl she still looked braced.She took a bad set and when I pushed it back to normal looking bang she lived no more.So if it's alum.lam most likely I would NOT.If its cross weave,that stuff is still really pron to breakage too as it was a bit brittle-ish and the cross strands are somewhat ridge-ed.Your call,like I said alum no way,cross weave,maybe ? how about a couple pics ? bd

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. Your answers were pretty much what i was thinking, but didn't know for sure. i think i will leave the old guy right where it is at, resting on a pair of whitetail feet. i will try to get a couple of pictures. You are right it probably is a 50, but i do know it was bought in 51, which that yr you could get aluminum with bi-directional glass, alum. with uni-directional glass and no-alum. with uni-directional glass. thanks
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©