INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: vintage recurves and arrows  (Read 558 times)

Offline widowmaker

• Trad Bowhunter
vintage recurves and arrows
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
Just picked up a Ben Pearson Colt 7070.  It is in pretty good shape.  What has me more curious are the arrows that came with it.  They are Shakespeare hollow fiberglass "rifled" shafts.  They appear to have the original nocks, and fletchings.  Two of the three arrows have glue on Hilbre Barbless broadheads.  They are a bit rusty, but otherwise in good shape.  Anyone familar with this equipment?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: vintage recurves and arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »
Shakespeare rifled shafts actually shoot rather well.I have several that are about 45-50 and they shoot great.I'll try and get time to look up the dates when those were offered by Shakespeare..bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
The Super Hilbr broadheads may be of concern though.  They come to such a fine needle point that the had a bad reutation for the tip to actually curl if it hit hard bone, rather than breaking bone or sliding past it.

Just my thoughts.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
Oh yeah Jack is right about those heads.There also a bit hard to sharpen if there the 4 blade model as the bleeders are super hard to remove in order to sharpen the main blade....bd

Offline Mountain_Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
yep, i was looking thru my old archery stuff... guess the hilbre bh was actually dads when he bow hunted...but, anyway the tip is curled up on it..wonder what he hit with it? ..may have been one of his pass-thru shots???? ..passed thru a bunch of brush into the dirt   "[dntthnk]"
A wise man will ask for advice. The wisest of men are selective in whom they ask.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©