INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Suicide by quiver  (Read 900 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Suicide by quiver
« on: November 17, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
well it would be more like suicide by broadhead while using one of them,but have any of you guy's ever used one of those old suicide quivers ? They had no hood covering the broadheads and it was like suicide using one ? Normaly they were made of some kind of rubbery neopreme like stuff and slipped over the limbs ? But I just wonderd if anyone still uses those type quivers ??? back in the day I saw a guy slip in the mud and landed on his quiver.It was ugly to say the least....bowdoc

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Suicide by quiver
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
I still have a couple of sets of those things BD. When I was young, even poorer than I am now, and "bullet-proof" I used one some. Remember the hood they made for them that clamped to an arrow? Living dangerously for sure. GBY

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
They still sell those Kwikee Kwivers new!
-Simon

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
What I really wonderd was,if the company was liable if you did get gutted out by that type quiver ??? bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
I have three sets....never use them.  There was a hood available but it clipped on to one of the arrows, making that arrow useless because it was needed to hold the hood in place.

I never saw a suicide, but on a hunt in North Louisiana in the late '60's we all piled into a jeep to get to the hunting area.  The jeep had a bow rack built into the roof.  We were told to put our bows in the rack.  I did.  One of the bows had one of the quivers with no hood.  Guess whose string ended up rubbing on an exposed broadhead, and guess what happened.  I had a  spare bow stiring...back at camp...but that did me no good 5 miles from camp and no one wanting to run me back.  Busted hunt, first day out.  I since learned to carry the spare bowstring "on me".  I had never met the guy before, and have not seen him since, but I remember his name...Scott Townsend from Bastrop, LA.  Thanks a bunch Scott.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
I could see they were an accident waiting to happen.  I once fell out of a tree when my tree spikes slipped installing a stand.  I broke a couple of branches on the way down and landed on a compound bow and bow quiver.  Luckily the heads were protected or I would have been cut up.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
Stuck a Hilbre far into the palm of my hand that way...it was ugly.
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
Like Rich, I still have a set of the early brown Kwikee quiver.  2 seperate pieces, no hood, with a clip on each that held it on.  My dad used it before I did on his Kodiak Mag, and I used it on the same bow when I was big enough to shoot it.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Frank1107

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
I remember the foam rubber type. Not even as good as a quickie quiver. We all used them for years (stupid) they just slipped over the limbs. But I honestly don't remember anyone I personally knew ever getting hurt, just lucky.

Frank

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »
All the years of using one myelf I never got it to bad,I did manage to stick my hand in the whole nest of flayling broadheads one day but got lucky with 3 small cuts...I only saw the one guy who had fallen on them and was really wounded.I think no hood kept you awear they were looking back at ya..bd

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
I think that a lot of us more "senior" folks remember them and used them. I know that I started out with them but quickly changed to a bowquiver with a hard shell cover when I found one.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
I started out with them and still use them today. Many moons ago when a razor sharp broadhead could not possibly hurt me, I carried them in a Kwikee Kwiver when hunting. Sat many a morning in my trusty Baker tree stand with no safety belt. At my age then, a fall couldn't have hurt me; no way. I thank God daily for watching over me during my "immortal" years.
Now I still sometimes use an ACME Kwikee Kwiver when stumping with rubber blunts, but use reinforced hoods and full body harness when hunting and pray to God to watch over this "old fool" every time I hit the woods.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
I remember those quivers, and I have the scare to prove it! Suicide quiver is an apt name.
When I was about 15, my first "hunting weight" recurve was a Bear '76er, ugly, red, white and blue, 50#. I wanted it to look more like a "real hunting bow" so I added camo socks, a "suicide" quiver, brush buttons... you get the picture.
I had the bow on a bow rack on the wall above my bed. I came in one day and "flopped" on my bed on my back, the bed hit the wall, and you guessed it , the bow, with quiver and bear razorheads came down, right on my left hand.
The broadhead cut my left thumb most of the way around and down to the bone.
I'm lucky the bow didn't fall on my neck or chest.
Yep, I was young and dumb, just never thought of the risk of having that bow above the bed, but in my defence, my room was a converted porch, one whole wall was windows, and the other sliding glass doors into the house, if I remember correctly, that was the only full wall I had in my room.
I am careful now sliding a broadhead tipped arrow into any bow or side quiver, I have a fear of the head coming through the hood!
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
and my spelling stinks, should have proof read that.
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©