INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: WOW...Check out the pair of Kodiaks on the Bay  (Read 1542 times)

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
WOW...Check out the pair of Kodiaks on the Bay
« on: November 20, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
#320319418515....some deep pockets for the two of these Bears

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WOW...Check out the pair of Kodiaks on the Bay
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
Is that second one a 1960 60" 60#

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
I knew Val somewhat myself.I would like to mention and I do not want to step on anyone's sale,but that 1959 was actually 60# and Val reduced the draw weight and I believe the bow had a stabilizer bushing in it when Val purchased it.If you would note the limbs are very narrow on the 1959 Kodiak...bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
Oh yeah I'am pretty certin thats the 1959 as it also has an aftermarket leather grip.The 1957 Kodiak he has listed also has the lower limb repaired by a former Howatt bowyer and good friend of Joe StCharles...Better ask lots and lots of ??????????????????? on them 3 before bidding.bowdoc

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
wow, does anyone know what happened to Val? I bought a couple kodiaks from him. Val and I used to talk a lot. He would send me all kinds of stuff. He built some beautiful bows and had a lot of talent..... I know he was down the last time we talked, it has been awhile. Right now, I am looking at a little plastic black bear that sits on my desk at work that Val sent me, my frig has about a half dozen trad archery magnets that he made too..... Such sad news... Rest in peace my friend... say  "Hi" to Fred for me...Vaya con Dios Val.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Got 6 bids ont hem///somebody is digging down deep
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
For those of us who knew Val there is an on-line guest book to sign for the family. He always ended his emails to me with "shoot straight"... he was a great guy...

http://www.legacy.com/recordonline/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=119514101

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
Tom told me and at that time no one was cerin as to what happend.Vals mother found him in his car that day and said it may have been his heart.Sad time for all.I know if you can afford to bid your money will be put to good use..bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
Also please note one bow has a long sight window but they are both over 50#'s and listed as 60" models ???? appears to have been a 64" bow cut down to 60" looks like some of the recurve section is missing.If you are going to bid you may want to email the seller and ask to see a side profile.bd

Offline Abear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Don i have the picks of the handle section on the 60 and the serial # starts with B , it looks origional,seen both bows side by side limb countures look slightly different in degree of hook on them but it is hard to tell The 59 looks like it was modified has no silks on top limb,still cant figure why it has a large sight window(60)  Chris

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
Chris the 1960 has a large sight window because it was a 64" 42# 1960 rather then a 60".Val was a master of bow work and cut the length down to increase the draw weight.If you take a 64" Kodiak and Kodiaks are all I have done it with myself so I can not say about other models.A 64" 1959 Kodiak will increase about 10 pounds per inch of overall length removed.A 45# 64" will become a 62" 55#er.Cut down to 60" it will increase the draw weight to near 60#.Some bowyers say to never do that and others say it do'nt matter.As for the 1959 listed,I actually know the person that sold the bow on the big E originally.Val paid around 500 and some change for the 59.Which I am pretty certin also it had a stabilizer bushing installed.Please note the 59 riser overlays have been tamperd with and both bows have micarta tip overlays.But again I don't want to kill thier auction.I just don't want to see someone drop 1,225.00 and not get what they think they are going to get.I do have Chris's phone number handy if you would like to call him about the bows......bowdoc

Offline Abear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
I have been talking to him and have several pics from the bows but the 60 i cannot tell for shure the serial # matches a 60" and LOOKS ORIGbut ya never know   chris

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
Val was a talented bowyer, you can be sure his bows have been "tweeked" to his liking. Good luck, they look like shooters from here.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
Did anyone note the Val bows vanished from the big E last night.I just shipped Val 24 pieces of white fiberglass that Glenn used on the belly of the Thunderbirds.Just wondering if anyone saw those listed anyplace ???? Chuck I will be caught up this AM if your gonna be around...bowdoc

Offline Abear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
Chris said he is going to list more of vals bows later in the week no other bows were listed except the two auctions....C

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
not sure what happened to the auction....

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
Yes the 59 and 60 went missing before the auction ended.Pretty weird to say the least.I see Chris has Vals Grum listed now.bowdoc

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
I saw the auction disappeared for a while, then re-appeared as a completed auction. Looks like the 2 bows went for $1,225. He ended the auction early for the '57 Kodiak as well. Not sure what this seller is doing with his late Uncle's bows.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
I got no idea what happend.bd

Offline Abear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
both auctions seemed to go the full lenght when I was watching them ,I won the two kodiaks the 60 is a true 60" not cut down with a large sight window tho val replaced the tips on both.You kept saying the auctions disapeared ?didnt seem to they were 5 day auctions.. Chris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©