INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Lets do mag handles this week shall we ?  (Read 2671 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Lets do mag handles this week shall we ?
« on: November 21, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
what do you guy's think.I know I know your all going so whats he up to today...Nope Denny and I were talking on the ph.yesterday and figureing out what year what mag handle was made.We know for sure the small black plastic bears on the latches were gone by 1972 and the raised plastic button did not come along until late 1972-ish,so that would mean with the bears on the latches its 1972 or before maybe early 1973.And a raised button it was after late 1972-ish early 1973.So what year for sure did bear archery add the upper socket strut ?? 1974 or 1975.If you have one your pretty sure is a 74 75 maybe you could check for us and see if yours has the upper strut.Thanks dudes......bowdoc

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets do mag handles this week shall we ?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
I know the original wood risers were officiall 1971, and the Mag riser started the next year, althoug I Think(?) there are some rare '70 wood risers.  But as far as catalog years go the wood premi=ered in 1971 and the Mag in 1972.  How far off am I?

Ten my next question is the finish on the Mag risers.  Originall they waere like a rubbery fuzzy finish, later they went to painted.  what were these years.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
here's a couple we can start with.bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
and then.bd

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
Doc,
why does the 1973 catalog show all T/D latches still with the plastic bears? It's a different photo then 1972, so it could have shown the product as it will be sold, not?

Did the Mag-A ever got "the strut" at all, or only Mag-B and Mag-C ?

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
The upper strut doesn't appear in the catalogs until the '76 issue.  Of course, as Donnie has pointed out many times, that doesn't mean a whole lot.  Same pics of bow models appear in 2 or 3 model year catalogs. The C and B show the strut but not the A. The mags(field model) appeared in the '71 Catalog showing the lower latch assy as color matched to the riser.  Donnie could answer this but I don't think they were available to the public.  It's all super interesting especially if you are into takedowns.  I'm not a collector but I do like the takedowns............Denny Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
I've also looked through the catalogs and in '76 it shows only on the C and in '77 also on the B riser.
Someone who is able to throw T/D parts together to make a pile like above should answer this mystery quick, please.

My Mag-A is not reinforced. Should I been worried about putting my 70# (green 2B) or 71# (red 3) limbs to it? Currently it only has 60# (white 3) and is doing fine ...

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
How many different colors were they made in? kewl bowz Rain
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 01:38:00 AM »
Bowdoc
 Whats the problem here? If a pic taken by Marvin the martian on Pluto helps folks learn about Bear bows and there history then why not post it? Seems to me the history and beauty of the bows many of us love far out weigh whether or not someone is a tradganger.

BTW got to see some of your work recently......really nice job!
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
I personaly do not like to look at collections belonging to people who do not post on tradgang.What would be thier reasoning for not posting ????????????? bowdoc

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
I got no objection unless there is a Trad Gang rule against it.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
No rule I just kind of thought shareing info makes TG what it is in some ways.I just wonderd why some collecters choose NOT to share info and pics with other collecters and friends.I do'nt mean anything peronal againest any of them.I just figure if we are going to show thier collections and they are alive and well maybe they should come on down and do a little posting about thier own stuff...but for some odd reason did you ever notice most museum curaters and owners of somewhat large collections do not post on TG ever never ever,not gonna happen.So why show pics of thier collections if they are maybe a little to good to post something for the rest of us to enjoy.What would be thier reasoning for not shareing ???? bowdoc

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
thanks doc! The finish is an "oil based pebble paint", dark gray. It was refinished by archer4ever (Hi Ray   :wavey:  ). Limbs in pics above are red tips. I have yet to see my first pair of blue tips - in a T/D.

I would really like to come back for "the strut" and you first question: when were the different riser lenght reinforced?
Maybe we can put some serials together - if not already done - to boil down the time frame in which the change was made?!

Mine is A-65xx and for some current e8ay-reason I know that A-8587 has no strut either, but is LH. Would RH or LH make a difference?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
Thats a good looking A great profile.Ok here is a little info I dug up so far on the mags.The earliest which do not have the struts have a serial number that would read something like A-04555 after 1972 they would be stamped something like A-4555.They dropped the zero from the begaining.Here's some more info.This was passed along to me a few years ago about the mags.If a shop had 4-5 on consignment,but did not sell them.They would get credit for them.Then they would be restamped and resold as new of which I guess they were actually new.They had just been returned for credit.I will get some pics up asap.I think it will be fun to see what we can figure out.bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
This one was shipped from kinnsey Archery 5-10-71...it does have black plastic bears on the latches but does not have a coin or coin hole,no strut eather.But its for sure a 1971.bd

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 01:29:00 AM »
bowdoc,

If it helps, I've got a gray mag A-handle with no strut, no coin, and the s/n is A03020.

Did some of  them not have coins? I don't see anything on mine to show that anything was mounted on it, no holes or indentations.

I'll show my ignorance on the subject here, but when did the mag risers first come out?

snakeeater
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 07:04:00 AM »
Hi Larry yes that would be correct A03020(no strut)no raised plastic button no hole for the button eather ? does your latches have the small black bears mounted to them ?.Anyone have a 1970 and 1971 catalog ? Thats the only 2 years I don't have and I would like to check and see what was offered...thanks bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »
Ok here's another little trivia.By 1973 the black plastic bears were gone from the latches and replaced by the raised plastic button.Also by 1973 and please check your catalogs.The latch lock was changed from steel to plastic also.That change came in 1973 also please see pic.bowdoc

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
Don,

It does have the black plastic bears on the part of the latching mechanism that mounts to the riser. Here is a summary:

- little plastic black bears present
- no strut
- I think it used to have the "furry" finish. I got it from Papalapin (sp)so you may be able to give us more information on its age and finish.
- the latch (the little hook that holds the long tab over the end of the limb) is plastic
- no indication of something being mounted on the riser

I will try to post some pictures or email them to you.

Snakeeater

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
Don,

Here are the pictures of my A-Riser. Sorry I couldn't get the individual pictures to display.

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=261180753/PictureID=6320204619/a=75357331_75357331/t_=75357331

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©