INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Lets do mag handles this week shall we ?  (Read 2670 times)

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets do mag handles this week shall we ?
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
Field Model Mag handle appeared in the 1971 catalog.  The little bears appear to be black; The chrome latches were all chrome, but the other colored photos of the mags show the screw on part of the latch(not the yoke to be the same color(flocking) as the bow.  Again, I believe these were for the salespeople and the ones offered to the public were all black.  Seven colors were offered but not black.  The '73 catalog shows a black A mag but still doesn't list black as an offered color.  '74 shows a color change with Bundi Black being offered.  Go figure......................Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
Larry I am thinking your's is a 1972.Still got latch bears and no plastic button.So I'am going 1972.In the 1973 catalog it shows on the right side of page 5.Shows all 8 risers offerd.But as Denny mentioned the yokes were painted the same color as the riser.Which is kind of rare to find those models for some odd reason.And the 1973 catalog still shows the black plastic bears on the yokes..Again as Denny said they may have been salesman samples in black and with painted yokes.Still no strut in 1972 or 1973....interesting bowdoc

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
OK... Got 3 of um. First is an A Ser # 00382 Black bears, no strut, metal limb locks and a large hole for side plate adjust (Maybe 3/8") When I had this one stripped down it was evident the hole had been drilled off location and it was plugged and moved.
Second is another A ser A06735, raised button, plastic locks, no strut and the same 3/8" hole to adjust the side plate.
Last is a B Ser # B04330.. No strut, raised button, plastic limb locks, and a smaller side plate adjust hole,, maybe 7/32.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 05:12:00 AM »
Hummmm looks like your first A is a very early model.On the oversized holes,I think some of them got redrilled do to the nylon allen screw for the adjustment.The hole in the allen head got striped out pretty easy.Guy's replaced them with the steel set screw.Some drilled the hole out larger.Number 2-3 risers still has the 0 in the serial number no strut but do have raised buttons.A riser 1 must be 1970-1971-ish maybe ?(black bears steel lock).A&B risers 2-3 late 1972 up to 1974-ish before the strut ???? bowdoc

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
Pretty sure both of the large holes were factory,, the early one was flocked and had the flock through the hole.. the other was a heavy black finish that I think was factory, but would not swear to it..
Both have been refinished.. Thanks for the  insights
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Bob Dunn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »

Gonna try this picture thing.This is a B mag I picked up awhile back.Serial no. is B-9191, raised button, plastic limb locks, I'm guessin no struts?? The limbs have pink or red tip overlays, 2_10023 on them, A-58"-45#, B-62"-43#, C-68"-39# also. Built in site, adjustable side plate. Pictures aren't that good. Bow is really in good shape. So I have a B handled with no. 2 limbs? 62" @ 43#?? Always lookin to learn more and you guys fit the bill. Bob

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
Thats a great looking B mag right there.bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
The red C riser has the strut.The green B does not.I have seen all 3 with the struts A's,B's & C's.We'll keep at it.bowdoc

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
Bowdoc, you have a PM.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline bearmagtd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
Hey Doc the real answer to your strut

Offline bearmagtd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
Hey Doc the real answer to your strut queston is in the 1976 cataloge. Give it a look. It was for reinforsment, and for heavy bows. But the answer will tell you why it happened then. I like the mags they shoot well and take to the hardship of hunting very well. But the wood risers are still the best for old hands and cold weather. Was off hunting so I missed the start of this . Larry

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
During the past 4 weeks I was able to aquire two Mag risers. In both cases I was more after the limbs though. However, since my wife was yesterday so kind and got through the nerve wrecking customs procedure for me, I finally have the MagB at home also and am able to show both to you:

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
More details:

As you see, both are reinforced with "the strut" and both are in quite a good shape - especially the green MagB - wich is almost untouched     :D     Serials are:
B-10695
C-18238
I cant think of using the C for anything. I wonder if the latches hardware would also fit on wooden risers (1990's) as well? I might use it for spare parts ... and to show off with some chrome on 3D shots.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :cool:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 04:50:00 AM »
very nice I really like that green...bd

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
I have an A riser (sn A01931) that I refinished.  It has metal latch keepers, no struts, no button and no plastic bears.  A small 1/8-inch hole on the right side of the riser for an allen wrench to adjust the screw that moves the side plate.  Each latch does have a hole drilled between the mounting screws on the belly side of the bow.  Would these holes have served to mount the plastic bears.  Would this one be 1972 or a little earlier?

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
I don't know if anyone is watching this one that is up for auction, looks like a nice B handle outfit in excellent condition.

Good luck!
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
I may have seen that one but I will double check.There are some great buy's on mags right now...bd

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
Wow! That is a nice one. Why don't all you collectors take your spouses on a Caribbean cruise for a week and I will let you shoot it when you get back. No other way its gonna be in my budget.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
I did go back and re-read the auction, the seller does mention rust on the chrome latches so ask questions before you bid.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©