INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Lets do mag handles this week shall we ?  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets do mag handles this week shall we ?
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
Does anybody know the excact formular of the Mag-riser alloy? I would guess its a Mg-Al-Zn alloy, but who knows for sure, incl. the %'s of the mixture?!

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
little revised edition

Okay - this is gonna be hard for some of you. But hey, I dont care! You'll like it or you'll hate it - make your own decission! A while back there was a thread in which pictures where posted of burning bows. This led my imagination. So, lets talk Burning bows - but a little different   ;)  

I weighted my obsolete MagC and got 1076g, with all other hardware still attached. I estimate the Mg-alloy-content in a C-riser roughly, to be about 950g.
Unfortunately I dont know exactly which Mg-alloy Bear used in the Mag-risers, so I decided to calculate everything (below) as if pure Mg only. Most likely it is an alloy with Aluminum (Al) and Zinc (Zn). But, as Al has more then double and Zn has only a half of the enthalpy, when violently transforming into an oxide, I assume things are pretty much even and I am allowed to get away with this aproximation ...

Atom mass u for Mg is 24.305
Devide mass by u to get mol
=> 950g / 24.305 = 39.09 mol of Mg in a C-riser

Look in the correct charts and you'll find the energy produced during the oxidation of one mol Mg to MgO equals: 601.2kJ

To get from a C-riser to MgO, just light it on one end - and let it burn with a bright bluish flame - into a cloud of white smoke! There will be soon 24232kJ available to brew coffee or toast you some bread ...

24232kJ is the same as 6.73kWh of energy - if you asked yourself the question.

Pure nonsense!?!
Well, anybody know those "survival fire starter kits" - made up of a bar of pure Mg metal? You cut little pieces off with your knife and then ignite those by striking a hardened steel with the back of your knife    :eek:    if you are inclined to ruin your knife, I might add!
The sparks, however you made them, will light the Mg flakes and their ingrained enormous tendency to connect with Oxygen will make them burn fiercly - even if submerged in water! So, here we have it! The allmighty survival tool, by the means of Mg-take-down-handles to start a fire with - should one badly need a fire to warm up ...

Here a pic from the day beofore yesterday - at minus 5°C, but sunshine ...

Falk

edit: I had to take some off the mainly wine induced passages in my text above away. Oughh! My head ...   :readit:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
That is funny,no not your pic.The mag riser buring.I had to also try it myself at one point.I used a C riser and hacksaw blade.I scraped some fileings off from under the grip made a small pile hit them with a striker and it was game on.That stuff is great it almost burned a hole through my garage floor.Wood no its cement.......bowdoc

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
Just don't inhale the smoke.

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
I find this thread extremely interesting. Several months ago I acquired a B mag risered bow
and I'm guessing it's about a '74 or maybe older model.  It has no strut, a brass colored coin, a small strike plate adjustment hole, and plastic clips. I'm going to attempt to provide pics.
The limbs DO have blue tips....I don't know if they are original to the bow...
Bowdoc...do you refinish these risers?  The pics make the riser look more yellowish than they are...it's actually kinda mustard colored.

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
About the blue tips...it's looks as if the blue dye didn't take on one of them but there are traces that can be seen at the very top of the tip.
I would really like to find a set of #1 limbs in the 43-45 lb range for this bow.  Anyone?
Tom I.

Offline gaitero

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Hi guys,
Im looking for an "A" plastic cover sight plate for my Mag handle or make a trade with the sight plate and brush rest.Also looking for the metal (2 screws)side plate.
thanks,
Rich

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©