3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Want to Shoot Woods But ????  (Read 320 times)

Offline Suty

• Trad Bowhunter
Want to Shoot Woods But ????
« on: December 03, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
Ok Gang, I want to Shoot "Woodies" out of my Toelke Whip But..I do not know what spine or best length ? My Whip is 56#s at 28" and I would like to shoot 215 Grain Grizzlys that I have. Please help a brother out. Alas, I have been shooting Carbons and the whole wood thing is confusing. Thanks. Tu Compadres, Suty
Dryad Orion ACS Recurve 53#

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Want to Shoot Woods But ????
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
There are a lot of other folks smarter about this subject than me to help you, but here goes, with that much weight up front you will have to go to a real stiff spine. With a 125 gr up front you would want to go with a 60-65 or even a little stiffer. Hope some others will get on to give you some more input. Hope this helps a little.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
Wow, with a 29" arrow and that big heavy head I would say ya need at least 75-80# spine. Those Whips like 10-15#s over weight at your draw as it is and that heavy head gets ya up in the spine ya need. Call the bowyer as well and tell him what ya want to shoot, he will get ya close. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
Suty
You said your Whip is 56# at 28", but you didn't say what your draw lenth is.  If it is really 28" you probably need to start with something in the 70-75# range or more.
By the way, where did you get 215 grain Grisslys.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
Are those heads 190's with an insert not that its going to matter that much if those 60-65 don't work I would just keep jumping up 10# and leave yourself a half to an inch overhang for your broadhead. Having an arrow a bit stiff doesn't create as much problems as not stiff enough especially if your bow is center shot.

Offline Suty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Wow, with a 29" arrow and that big heavy head I would say ya need at least 75-80# spine. Those Whips like 10-15#s over weight at your draw as it is and that heavy head gets ya up in the spine ya need. Call the bowyer as well and tell him what ya want to shoot, he will get ya close. Shawn
See Shawn thats whatI am talking about. I would have never known about the extra spine for the "Whip". The grizzlies are the el grandes, everyone speaks so highly of them so I bought some ones modified per the Ashby Report. Thanks for helping...Tu Compadre, Suty

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Offline Suty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Badlands:
Suty
You said your Whip is 56# at 28", but you didn't say what your draw lenth is.  If it is really 28" you probably need to start with something in the 70-75# range or more.
By the way, where did you get 215 grain Grisslys.
I forgot those are Modified El Grande Grizzlies with the inserts. I wont be needing the inserts anymore so they will drop about 40Grns +/- to around 175Grn heads. These were modified to meet the specs. of Dr. Ashby. My Draw lenghth is right at 28", Thanks for the Advise. Tu Compadres, Suty

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
If you are serious about shooting woods,I wood order a dozen test shafts. Almost every shaft supplier has them. You get two each of six different spine weight. You dont need to fletch them,just bare shaft them with the points your going to shoot. It will save you a lot of money and a lot of headaches.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
Don't forget to shoot a soft target when starting your bareshafting tests.... A real weak or strong shaft will hit the target sideways sometimes ! Can you say, " SNAP " ???

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©