INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Experimental Grizzly  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
Experimental Grizzly
« on: December 09, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
56 inch AMO and I like the orange glass.

-Simon

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Experimental Grizzly
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
Uhhhhh.....Yeeeaaahhhh.....

We are collectors. We saw it. Why advertise it?

C'mon man. Now some dumb broke guy like me won't be able to afford it.

Thanks.

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
Raineman
I’ve seen many posts like the one I posted on this forum in the past and don’t remember any negative responses. Didn’t think it would upset any one. Thought it would be interesting for some to see or discuss about a rare item. I personally don’t think it’s advertisement when it’s posted within a collectors forum like this one. Still, I will keep quiet in the future with *bay findings. Sorry.
-Simon

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
'1975, no harm done................Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
Simon, this kind of topic has been discussed, at length, in some recent threads within the past month or so. I see your "point of view". Most recently, a well known collector (here anyway) regarded it as "shooting ourselves in the foot", which I happen to agree with.

This is a "free" forum, and it is cool that we can discuss all aspects of history and collecting. There are those that "prey" on us, and lurk in the abyss to see what we want. They don't need to be educated on certain things as far as I am concerned.

Schick- No harm done???

That, my friend, may be your take. Mine is different.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
The worse part is I was going after that darn Nimrod........just kidding...bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Sorry DOC

I found the Mustang that is the twin to Raimans and posted it here.  Migra Bill ended up getting it.  mybe he saw it before I poste...Maybe not.  Not knowing Bill was interested, my intention was to tip off Rainman...should have PM'd him.

That was part of my reason for wantting know all of our hidden ID's...it would make a differnce to me if I see one of our gang here is on it.  I would probably back off...but no one agreed with me...so, every man for himself.

Simon...If ya ever see a Jack Howard TargetMaster...Pleeeaaassssseee post it here.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
Jack,

TOUCHE' my friend...

:readit:

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
I edited the title and my first post.
-Simon

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
LOL....thanks....I edited mine too.

It is a free country (and I think Canada still is too...) so you really didn't have to do that.....but I appreciate that you did.

We are on the same team after all....preserving the history because we actually care about it.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
Don't feel bad 1975, I did the same thing a while back and got yelled at big time.  I edited my post too, but don't know if anyone cared.  

Folks here are always posting the auction number.  As a matter of fact I did yesterday and got some informative responses.
Lon Scott

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
You guys act like your are the only ones searching the listed auction items. Sorry to burst your bubble. But there's probably several hundred collectors searching daily.

So like not mentioning it will make it invisible  :thumbsup:

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
I do believe that when we post an auction here and talk about it, it does raise the price. I've seen it happen many times.

And; definately, if Raineman got ANOTHER '65 Mustang I definately would have had to confiscate it as evidence. I did expect more competition from my friend jack though.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
I haven't responded in the past, but I think I will now.  It has always seemed to me that the more folks that know about a specific auction on ****, the higher the final price of the bow.  Always seemed counter-productive to me, but then again I am not a "real" collector, just an archer who likes to shoot older interesting bows.  

I don't purchase items on the site that shall not be named for some other reasons also, but one of them is the good deals are farther and farther apart.

Now if and when I sell some of my accumulation, I will probably be glad that everyone knows about my auction, so you take the good with the bad--I just don't find the kinds of deals now that I used to.  My 2 cents.

RonP

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Brent, you are not bursting anyone's bubble. We are not naive enough to believe that we live in an a Eutopia.

But believe this. There are some guys out there (as I mentioned before) who have some very deep pockets and nothing better to do than to make a buck off of us. It is an easy thing to do when we "ooh" and "ahh" over something and they just dig in, get it, and put the screws the guy who REALLY wants it for either historical or sentimental reasons.

As noted before, there are DEEP discussions about this.

If there are folks out there that live in rose colored houses and get a bow now and then for whatever reason, then ...well....I'll have to just keep my mouth shut.

The collectors here on Trad Gang (in my experience anyway) seem to respect and "watch out" for one another. I like the fact that we can have these discussions here, and talk about some things personally through PM's and emails.

It is a rich and valuable history that we have in regards to our passion that needs to be preserved. A lot of that passion is protecting it as collectors.

I like to make a buck or two off a bow now and then, but consider myself a collector/trader, not a profiteer. When one of my bows goes to another collector, I like a bit of coin, but feel much better that it is going to someone who is going to preserve, care for, and pass on what it is.

In the same turn, If I know what a collector paid for something and I want it in my collection, I'll allow a profit for him. It keeps things going. But we are also the ones who give away things to friends, kids, and new people to the hobby. In essence, we may break even, and that is fine with me as long as I can feed my family, fuel my hobby, and feel good about it at the end of the day.

My apologies for rambling, I thought I was butter.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
I don't like 56" Grizzlies anyway! LOL

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
You know Jeff, you're right.

Someone probably just hacked the tips off and made their own tips and grooves anyway.

Thanks for waking me up on that holmes.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
I would not have seen it, if it werent for this post.  

I don't usually pay much attention to Grizzlies unless they have a leather handle.  

That being said, my pockets are not even close to being deep enough to be in the race at the end on this one.  

If my pockets were really deep and I cruised this site just to see what's shaking, Let's say I'm just a 'snooper', I'd probably be  chuckling to myself right now  and saying "Thanks for the tip Nolvaln 1975, I'll go check that out"

When we disclose sourses for finding bows and throw e8ay item numbers out there for the snoops to see, we definately decrease our chances and increase someone elses.  No law against it, and I'm not being critical of any one person for doing it but we are indeed shooting ourselves in the foot when we do it.  

I use the term "we" because we've probably all done it at some point and it will happen again I'm sure.  

There are several people that I share my cool findings with, Here's an example: Bjorn's cute little (and very rare) zippered pouch for his St. Charles quiver.  I knew he needed one to complete the set and when I saw it I was faced with several options. 1. tell Bjorn about it and hope like hell he won the item and be happy for him. 2. keep it a secret from him and try to win it myself in hopes of completing a rare set and then feeling like a scumbag. or 3. start a thread about it on here and let everyone that snoops here have a shot at it.  He won the item, shared it with us here on TG and even graciously sent it to me so I can make an exact replica of my own.  Thanks Bjorn.

There may be other forums that have a History and collecting section, I dont know.  What I do know, is there are some extremely knowledgeable archery collectors and archery historians that post here. These historians and their knowledge are respected by the snoops as much as they are by us TGers. When they speak, collectors listen. The archives are full of valuable information if you're willing to search through past posts to find what you are looking for or just ask questions for that matter.

I'm thankful to Terry Green and the administrators of Trad Gang for providing this virtual campfire for us to gather around and for storing this wonderful, historical information.  Let's not turn it into an extension of e8ay and a guess what's listed now forum.

Let's show the snoops our great finds after theyve closed and stop tipping them off before the fact.  If you find something truly unique, get in touch with some of the regulars on here through a PM and ask them if they know someone that might be interested.  

My 2 Cents, which is about all my opinion is worth, afterall opinions are not real rare.

Respectfully submitted, Daryl
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 01:57:00 AM »
well said Trap.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
This forum is pretty unique from what I've been able to find searching the web.

To Terry and the Admin.Thanks for the place to chat, but its the regulars that make the difference.(+ they seem to leave us alone)

Yea, some profiteers learn their trade here,but man go spend some time lurking the other sites, lots of Crap, not much in the way of shared knowledge of our history or even vintage bows.

Epay lets me look at a lot of bows,ask ?'s to you guys, make better choices on what I buy and direction for improving my collection.

I like the threads ranting and raving about bows,boyers and bow sellers,I might never know about without this forum.
  So THANKS to the all the usual suspects
              Kurt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©