INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: A couple unique heads  (Read 1864 times)

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
A couple unique heads
« on: December 10, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
After reading some of these topics I sense a little holiday stress !
  Here are a few pics of interesting heads:
 A pair of 1947 Fleetwood Deerslayers but one has been modified into a fishpoint. I have been told its original.
 An original creation by our German friend Falk called the MA-Barker, the head is a modified M-A3-L.
 The results of a Browing Serpentine, I guess the nickname apple corer is appropriate. The head flew very well and I didn't hear any noise.

Hope everyone has a safe and Happy Holiday Season!
                              Thanx, Shep

"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A couple unique heads
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
Oh yeah the old modified broadheads.I've taken the dremel to a few myself.Two razorheads mod.a Blackhawk with parelell ferrule I made,and one of my favorites of all the cornstalk shooter by bowdoc.I did not make the saw tooth bleed blade slot cleaner or the aluminum noc but thought they were pretty cool.bowdoc

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
Now, this is nice!
The modified fish-Deerslayer reminds me of some modified Zwickeys [#1426] I've got. Have a Eskimo [#1420, not pictured] in the same manner too. They all have serrated edges, on bleeders also, little difficult to see here. Anyways, it looks as if done by placing them between two grinding wheels for this kind of edge. No idea if this was done at the factory. I have never seen this before or heard of it. Maybe just some skilled person did it?!

And then there are some field points which take the term 'Screw-In' to a next level    :D  
They day before yesterday I was about to throw the two cut off screw tips away, because they were sitting on my work bench and in the way. But  then, out of a sudden, I had silver soldered them onto blunts and smiled about the wicked points I had just created    :)    They are 210 grains and flew just fine yesterday on 2317 camo hunter from my Dogleg Kodiak.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
Ahh BTW Shep,
good apple core drilling there! I always wanted to do something like that, but traded away every spare Serpentine I got ... and I dont get lots of them over here, as usual  :(

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
Anybody interested in trading these screw-ins for some glue-ons. 28 total
19 - 3 blade heads
 6 - 4 blade heads
 1 - 5 blade head
 2 - mech.

"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
here is another one of my favorites.bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
30 cal arrow tips you gotta love em huh ? bd

Offline Chuck Homitz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
DON, I HAVE THAT SAME MODIFIED DEERSLAYER.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
Don,

How much do those .30 cal tips weigh? I assume that they are glue on tips.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Larry those 30 cals are 43 grain each.Yes they are glue or most were punched in 2-3 spots with no glue at all.There actually just a full metal jacket.bowdoc

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 06:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by D.Sheppard:
Anybody interested in trading these screw-ins for some glue-ons. 28 total
19 - 3 blade heads
 6 - 4 blade heads
 1 - 5 blade head
 2 - mech.

What are you looking for in particular?I'm not as blessed as the other folks on here in my collection but I may have something.  :readit:  

I'm interested in those two mechanicals.  :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
I would be interested to hear of first hand experience with the shotgun arrowhead

Anybody ever actually shot this thing?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
I did see Joe messing with one of the shotgun arrows once but he never did shoot it.I almost thought there is supposed to be a rubber band around the little flipper deal ?? not sure.This was another head I liked also.I call this one womenbegood arrowhead.Your old lady is giveing your trouble you just wack her right in the butt with this one out of a 30# bow,pending on how lippie she is I will step up to 55# sometimes.OK its really called a popping jay arrow.I believe they were used to shoot wooden birds(blue jays)off a rope suspended between two poles.145 grain woodhead.bowdoc  whatevr ????

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
Don:
You are correct there is a rubber band that holds the aluminum paddle in place, both come off when the arrow is shot.
Falk:
I haven't used one my self, but remember articles written about the arrow when they came on the market. The authors claimed shooting Pheasant's on the wing, with great success.
The one you have pictured doesn't look like an original?  The tube looks anodized and its pinned in place instead of being knurled plus its on a footed shaft.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
Bob, correct - this is not an original shotgun arrow! Only clip and "missile load" are. As Doc mentioned Joe maybe never shot his and therefor has tons of missiles left - of which I got my little share  :)  
I dont have an original shotgun arrowhead and if I had I wouldn't shoot it, for obvious reason. But I always wanted to know how this gimmick would do under field conditions. So I made some replicas myself. I altered the original concept a little to my liking. And yes, this one is on one of my footed shafts. The head, loaded but without shaft, is 475gr. BTW: the clip is not shown in firing position. It has to be fitted the other way around - hold by a rubber band. I dont want to use the orig. missiles though, so I will have to replace them when shooting one of these.

A while back I had discussed this with someone and he quoted from an article saying they got about 50% of the birds shot at. I also remember he sent me a picture of a nice mount: pheasant already hit by missiles - some still on the way - and the arrow a littel off, spitting the last one out ... but I cant find the picture now somehow.

Doc, I like that! But as it is here just right now, I would probably use my 80# Super Magnum to propell that arrow   :mad:

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 04:19:00 PM »
Falk:
I do have an original one in the box, however not a full load of missiles or the paddle. I've been considering reproducing that arrow for the market place so only time will tell.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline marlon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 05:55:00 AM »
Those are nice arrow heads. Marlon
marlon torres

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 07:01:00 AM »
You guy's know I would like to try one out on those grouse sitting along the logging roads were we elk hunt.I have hit a coulpe with broadheads but I thought the missles would work just great..An original is a bit spendie for grouse hunting though...bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
Here's another head I have,no one said they gotta be broadheads or birdheads.I do have one of these a bit larger on a longer arrow but can't find it right now.This one is about a 24" bamboo arrow with horn noc and some type raptor feathers wrapped with silk.I believe Joe told me once they were imported from Japan in the 1950's.Same type bamboo arrows as broadhead unknown 22's were mounted onto...or it used to be unknown 22.bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
here's the noc and fletchings I did sell one of the longer arrows with larger field tip a few years back on the big E.Never did find out much about them other then what Joe told me...bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©