INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear question...  (Read 688 times)

Offline thewal2

• Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear question...
« on: December 17, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
Hello,

I just got a used Fred bear bow and am confused about how it is marked.

The bow is a BLACK PANTHER HUNTER RECURVE BOW it is marked on the side with the following markings:

AMO - 52'
45/50#

I know what the 52' is, but what is the 45/50#  Is it a 45 or 50# bow...This labeling is not like other bows I know of that are 50# at 28'.

If you guys have any information that would be great as I need to order arrows to hunt with for the rest of the season which is over of the 14th of January.

Tim

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear question...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
That really means the bow was not under 45#@28" and not over 50#@28".You would want to scale the bow to be sure.Those were a bit less expensive then the normal model Bear bows like Kodiaks and grizzly's.Those models were built for places like Sears K Marts big sporting good stores.They are pretty good shooting bows.I would scale the thing before you purchase arrows.Just to make sure you buy the correct spine.The lettering just means it between 45# and 50# at 28".bd

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
like the doc said and made in the mid 70's. nothing wrong with those bows at all. If you remove the strikeplate the actual poundage may be written behind it.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
I've got one of those old jewels that shows "50/55" and reads 60 under the strike plate. Strong like BULL! Nice little budget KMag. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline thewal2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
So how do you remove the strike plate without hurting the bow?

Also what is market value on one of these bows.

Tim

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 07:44:00 AM »
Just pull it off easily and be ready to glue it back on.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline thewal2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »
I just ordered a new plate for the bow so I will have the bow ready to hunt soon.

Tim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©