INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear bow ID? PICS ADDED  (Read 1876 times)

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear bow ID? PICS ADDED
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
The riser is heavily oxidized and may have been painted at one time. It looks like grey paint on the plastic grip but most of it has peeled off.
I read the thread that Falk recommended and I did find the small plastic bears on the latches but I can't find any serial number on the riser anywhere. Even under the latches.
On the upper limb, under the latch it says:
C- 68" - 32#
B- 62" - 35#
A- 58" - 37#
2-W8983  - This number is also on the lower limb.
Also there is no Bear coin unless it came unglued and fell off.
I haven't talked to the guy who loaned this to me yet but when I picked this one up he made a comment that his dad has a couple of them with different risers, but I don't know which ones.
Thanks alot,
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
John on th eupper soucket there is a raised rail in the center of the socket.The serial number should be stamped into the raised rail.Thats a great bow and you should enjoy shooting it..Keep us posted bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
here ya go.bowdoc

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
It's the early "B" riser as it doesn't have the reinforcing web at the top of the riser window.
Shootable but would be nicer to have it sand/bead blasted and  a new powder coat. The sights are nice. Most bows have them either missing or the rings broken off.

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Bowdoc,
I found the serial number, it was so heavily oxidized I had to clean it gently with a little 0000 steel wool to find it.
The number is B00406. Does that tell you anything?
What is the best way to clean up these mag risers to get the oxidation off, will mag wheel polish work? or is it too harsh.

Raghorn,
Thanks, If I can talk the guy I borrowed it from to sell it or maybe trade something for it, i'd like to keep it and  really clean it up!
John

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
Good eye John.I really never found anything other then steel wool to clean those mag handles with.The steel wool will also take off some of the paint.I hope you can workout something with the guy and then you can get it all fixed up and painted...bowdoc

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
If you dont want to collect them...don't touch them.

It sounds like John borrowed a Vintage recurve kinda out of necessity.  needed to work on his form with a lighter bow right?  Next thing you know he's thinking about buying it or trading for it.  

That's the way it goes...It's like an addictive drug.  Good Luck John.  Hope you can talk your friend out of it.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
Trap,
You have me nailed!
I have never considered collecting bows, I just love to hunt and shoot. But the few times I have come to this forum with a simple question, I end up having more questions and end up getting hooked!
It is kind of like figuring out a mystery or crime scene!
What is this?, when was it made?, how many?...etc...!
I don't think it will happen but if I get this bow somehow, I know more will follow.
I have already been "googling" Bear archery history.
Will it ever end!...
The bow isn't even mine and I already want to clean it up, repaint, add a Bear coin..etc!
By the way,
What did the original rest look like?
This one is covered with a stick on "rug" and since it is a borrowed bow, I don't want to rip it off!
I keep having to remind myself,.."it isn't yours, it isn't yours, it isn't yours..!
John

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
I have no idea what the original rest looks like.  

I've never owned a Bear Mag T/D and I truly wish you and Bill would stop posting pictures of them because I'd rather just remain ignorant of their excellent shooting qualities.     :bigsmyl:  

I'm Just kidding of course John.  They are sharp looking bows and I actually know where a couple of them are that I could probably buy at a decent price.  You guys are making that a much more tempting  endeavor.  

I'd actually like to know more about the rest and plate as well.  Is the side plate adjustable?

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
OH yeah this one's gonna get good I got some S.P's & A.R's.but I sure the heck ai'nt going back out in the snow to get an arrow rest and springboard strike plate to show you guy's.That will have to wait until 10 AM tomorrow when mrs bowdoc heads back to work.That way I can bring everything in the house.yahoooooo wait tell mornigng OK ? bd

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2008, 07:00:00 AM »
Thanks bowdoc,
Then you can tell me the best way to clean up the limbs and get all of the old grease and sticker residue off of them, they may have had stick on camo skins or something, there is little, sticky, gummy spots on them.
Just wondering if I should use acetone or isopropyl alcohol?
Thanks,
John

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
Carp I had company show up before 10 and they hung out all day.But thats cool he fixed my pc and its working great now.I will get the pic's up in the AM.bowdoc

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©