3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: belt sander for grinding lams?  (Read 376 times)

Offline redclay

• Trad Bowhunter
belt sander for grinding lams?
« on: December 03, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
Ok, i had some trouble getting lamination thickness consistent on a drum sander on a drill press. it is a cheap press and the chuck doesnt spin perfectly square. So anyway, i have a handheld belt sander and was wondering if there was a way i could make laminations using it. Maybe some sort of jig or sled or something. I am hoping to get a benchtop belt sander soon, maybe for Christmas, but for now i gotta make do with what I got. Any ideas? thank you

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: belt sander for grinding lams?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
Might could.

WHy not get an ossiclating spindle sander....like the rigid that doubles as an edge sander....no question you can do what you want to dow ith this machine!  I picked mine up yesterday finally and love it already.  Gotta figure out where I can put it though so the "boss" doesnt see it   ;)

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
I'm guessing you could.  All you'd have to do is fixture the sander perpendicular to a table and parallel to a fence.  You'd probably get some snipe at the ends of your lams, especially the leading end, so you'd want to make them a little longer than you acutally need.  The oscillating spindle sander is easier to set up though, since it is already perpendicular to the table and the fence doesn't have to be parallel.  Personally, I'd wait till Christmas and see if I needed to mess with the belt sander!
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
AkDan, got one of those too, and love it!! If you make a lam jig send or post a pic...please!
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©