INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Some interesting Bear bows and misc.  (Read 2954 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Some interesting Bear bows and misc.
« on: December 24, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
Still trying to master this photobucket thing.I couldn't find a previous post about some cool old bows that I wanted to post some pics on.Trap said he would help but I think I've got this figured out somewhat.So here's a few mor photos of some cool stuff I have in my "bowroom".Lets see what you've got.First is a picture of some heavyweight Bear Kodiaks I have.One is a left-hand 1959 Kodiak at a whopping 123#.Next is a 1960 Kodiak,90# with no coin.And last is a 1960 Kodiak Deluxe at 100#.All three bows have the wedge sight window.Hope the pics work.
  http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr118/johnnyrazorhead/oddballheavyweightsspecs.jpg

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Some interesting Bear bows and misc.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
Well,it almost worked.Lets try this one.Here's one of the risers of the three bows mentioned.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
Alright,here's the first photo again.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
Those are cool John.Have you ever shot any of them..bowdoc

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
This next bow is really cool.It's a 1963 Type I Dogleg Kodiak Magnum.These are rare enough due to the fact that Bear recalled most of them because of design flaws.This one came out of R&D at Bear Archery in Grayling and I believe was one of Fred's earliest attempts at the take-down bow(besides the 1940's latch found on some longbows from that era)I have seen photos from 1967 of Fred hunting with one of his early proto-type,three-piece latch system take-down bows that we are all familiar with.Those weren't shown in the Bear catalog until 1970.This Magnum utilizes a two-peg system with a single bolt used to keep the two sections of the bow together.It works very well but an allen wrench is still required to assemble and disassemble the bow and I believe,and have been told by people that worked for Fred,that he wanted a true take-down bow,no tools required,not a take-apart bow such as this.The bow has a sticker on it simply marked "EXP" and was aquired with other bows similarly marked.Fred was always experimenting.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Oops.Wrong picture."Bear" with me on this photobucket stuff.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
Here it is apart.Pretty cool.Inside where the two sections butt together is written Groves,Patent Pending.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
Oh yeah the groves take down system..bowdoc

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
This next one is obviously not a Bear bow but my preference for all things Bear is evident in the beautiful antler limb bolts I had custom made for my Firefly longbow made by my good friend Jim Jones.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
WOW!, those are some great bows John,  very unique. You really have some true collectibles, real eye candy too! I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years!! Chuck
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
Great bows John, truly all one-of-a-kinds.  

Thanks for sharing.

Do you know any history of the manly men that special ordered and shot those heavyweights originally?

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
Here's another one of my favorite bows.It's a minty 1955 Kodiak that wasgiven to a good friend of Fred Bear's and personally signed and dated to him in 1955.His name was Basil Hughes and he was a Conservation Officer here in Michigan I believe and hunted with Fred at Grousehaven.Also shown is one of Basil Hughes hunting  arrows.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
This next bow is a real oddball!It was made a Michigan bowyer named Jim Hodek.He passed away back in the 1970's but I was told he was a fantastic woodworker.I don't think this bow would be a very smooth shooter but he was definitely showing off his craftsmanship.Just look at that riser.The limbs are backed with glass.This bow was made back in the 1950's.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »
Here's a picture of one of the limb tips.WOW!!

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
Here's another one of my favorite bows.It's a minty 1955 Kodiak that wasgiven to a good friend of Fred Bear's and personally signed and dated to him in 1955.His name was Basil Hughes and he was a Conservation Officer here in Michigan I believe and hunted with Fred at Grousehaven.Also shown is one of Basil Hughes hunting  arrows.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
Sorry for the double post.I was reading some of the comments and was going to reply and somehow re-posted a picture.Sorry!.Trap,I don't know any history on those heavy-weight Kodiaks and the animals that special ordered them.Wish I knew more,it would be interesting.Imagine ordering a 123# bow.Lets see what you all got stashed away.No fun if you can't share it.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
Thank You John and Bill, and here are a few of mine

It's not fun if you cant share them.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
Beautiful!! Now that's what I'm talkin' about.Keep 'em comin'.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing John.

I had no idea that some of those existed.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©