INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear TD special ed.  (Read 2503 times)

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bear TD special ed.
« on: December 24, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
HI guys, I kow a couple of guys down here that own a Bear Special Limited Numbered editionTD 1980 signed Fred Bear with Brazilian rosewood riser selected yew limbs under clearglass. Do they have areally high value or they don't have interest for collectors. I guess are almost new maybe never used or at least in mint condition. Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear TD special ed.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
Hi Filex those are about the top of the line collecters.Very nice looking bow and shoot rather well.Price is kind of hard to say right now.In the last year or so I've seen then sell for 3,500.00 for a mint never shot down to 1,800.00 for a used one.bowdoc

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 04:24:00 AM »
I'try to see if they want to sell them and for how much, those are RH and I am looking for bows that I can shoot and maybe hunt with. I let you know, Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 06:05:00 AM »
Sounds good keep me posted bowdoc

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
God did let some idiots into the world, including those super-idioats that would buy that bow and shoot it.  

I can see one of them draging it along like John Voight in Deliverance.  Just as soon go buy a Gold Bullion brick and use it as a rock to chunk at rabbits.

I know bows are meant to be shot, but that particular bow is an investment to just be looked at and fondled.  Actually it should be left sealed in the box.

Doc, I thoght one sold for $5000.00 at a P&Y raffle, or ws that the $2500.00 one that you were speaking of.

Wasn't original price something like $1000.00?
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Yes they have sold at auction for 5,000 and I even heard of one for 7,800 at do gooder auction like P&Y but as is is another ?? they actually shoot pretty good really.I think the idea of the new Supreme T/D was based on the Fred Bear Signuture Bow.Production was supposed to be 999 bows and sold for 999.99.Some guy's say there were only 300 made.There was more like 750 plus made.But at the price of them Jack's right most guy's do not shoot them...bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
I bought mine for 2,000.00 in 2000 sold it for 3,500.00 the same day..never strung never shot never even seen the damn thing.I had it shipped directly to the new owner.I'am not sure now that;that was such a smart move in hind sight.I would like to have that one back and pass it down to my grandson.Now we got 3 grandsons and one more on the way in about 3 months.So I will be needing 4 signutire bows !!!! Yeah I can see that happening.....bowdoc

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
Felix! How are you doing! Haven't talked to you in years since you hunted elk here in Colorado.These bows should be in a walnut box with a pamphlet in a plastic envelope. The white flemish bowstring is wound around two walnut pegs inside the box. If it is not complete like this then I would be suspect about the bow. If an original owner were to transfer the bow to somebody else they were to notify Bear who would keep records of these bows.

There were less than 300 risers made( something like 275) and about 600 sets of limbs.The original goal was to be 1000 bows. That was the info I got from Shirley Boname when I ordered mine in 1984. They were not getting them produced as fast as some customers would have like and some even canceled their order. That was how I was able to get mine.
My original set of limbs had the wood cracked along side of the locator hole. I sent them back to Bear for replacement. This would not have affected shooting so I asked them if I could keep/buy the original limbs. Bear said NO! They had to be destroyed to preserve the rarity.
Now that I am shooting LH I have entertained the idea of trading my RH Signature for a LH. However, I'm not sure if there were any LH ones made. I would have to say the serial #1 was LH as that one was for Fred Bear. #2-#11 were gifts from Fred to friends.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
should look something like this.Page 5 1981 Bear Archery catalog.I believe Glenn StCharles signuture bow was lefthanded along with at least 4 others.I think Glenn's bow is now owned I by J&M traditions.bowdoc

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
Hi Ron, nice to see you, I am still hunting Colorado and when I am there and not hunting I live by my goo friend King Cavalier owner of King of the Mountain, Loveland. Tose bows are autentic pieces because I remember back in early 80's the Italian Bear bows importer bought few of them and at least 2 of the guys that where shooting with me had their bows, maybe I sow one by the dealer me too,but at those days I was interested in (sigh!) compounds. I let you know the rest of the story in the next few days
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 05:01:00 AM »
Well, one of the guys still have his Custom Signature and want to sell it, so tomorrow 5am eastern time I' ll go to see the conditions and ask for the price
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
Keep us podted..bowdoc

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
You bet,Doc.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
Papalapin; you just buy one that someone else already shot, that way you don't take the devaluation. I saw one go for 2900.00 on the action site and it was 60# with the rosewood overlays on the yew. It had been shot. That was the only one that I wanted, got to be able to shoot it!
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
Several years ago my good friend Bill Krenze was shooting one at Denton Hill, my first question was "why" are you shooting that bow. He said "I want too" will you make me some arrows to match it. Which I did, I had some beautiful Rosewood to match the riser and I footed some shafts and made some real fancy arrows for him. Everyone has there own needs I guess.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
In the mid 80s I heard of someone that bought two of them......one to hang on the wall and another to hunt with.
These bows were originally made up to 65#, but when I sent my damaged 65# limbs back to Bear they replaced with 60# and said they would no longer do 65# on this bow.
I am not aware of a Signature with rosewood overlays on the yew. The tip overlays are two color glass I believe. My bow is shrink wrapped so i can't tell  for sure.
Just a note.....the yew wood in these bows was from Earl Ulrich- Doc I hope I spelled that right!
There are some well made copies of the Signature bows out there.

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
Here's an even better pic for those interested....

>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
A work of Art.  I'd have to shoot it.  Good thing I don't own one.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »
Well,I am back from my friend house. The bow is the # 066, it is been shoot on a couple of occasions so is in mint condition and only the leather rest has sign of light use, no scrathes,dents or other poundage is 50 and the riser sims to have 2 different exotic woods,one is Brazilean rosewood the other could be light coloured ebony! It carries the date 1982, and was personally given from Fred Bear to his italian friend and Bear archery importer.The problem cuold be the price,he thinks that the bow can worth more than 10000 and he is thinking to post it on auction,so I think it is too hight on price althrough I don't know where to find another one. Another limit for me it could be is is Right hand. BUT this guy owns also a Custom TD of the 80's with a set of longbow lims and a set of ricurve. I did'nt not that that kind of lims where been build for a TD Custom. They are 69" and 40#.So I told him to let me know the final price for the 2 bows. Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©