3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold weather hunting-couple of cheap tricks to stay warm  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
Cold weather hunting-couple of cheap tricks to stay warm
« on: December 03, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
Please add your own.

I have found if I spray my feet with an antipersperant (not deoderant) my feet stay warmer.

Take some old large socks with you and once in your treestand pull them over the toes of your hunting boots and put a little heat pack on top and bottom of your boot (inside the sock). Seems to work better than in the boot for some reason.
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold weather hunting-couple of cheap tricks to stay warm
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
I do the same thing but I use lavilin, the old european deoderent they use to sell in screaming eagle catalog. Don't use to much or it will dry your feet up. They won't sweat and therefore they won't get cold. My feet never get cold.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
old one here.... carry as much of your outer clothing out there with you as you can stand.  Don't put it on till you are up in your stand or (safer) at the bottom of your tree AFTER the stand is up and ready.   Don't cover your head till your body is done being overheated from the walk out there.  If you sweat, you will get cold.
ChuckC

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
I live in Texas and I still get cold feet -even down here.  They STAY cold when I hunt up north.  Legolas, I'll try your idea and incorporate it with the Lavilin that Night Stalker mentioned (if I can find some)...thanks!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
Legolas, I had to chuckle. A week ago Saturday I was sitting in the piney woods not moving a muscle. It was 8 degrees. HA! I was shivering to beat the band, and my feet were blocks of dry ice. The sock trick works! I never thought to use socks, though. Spare hat and neck gaiter, one on each boot. Makes quite a difference. I didn't have hand warmers that day.

The more air that comes into contact with a chemical warmer, the faster (and hotter) they combust (oxidize). They won't last quite as long, but they give a lovely heat.

Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
We use to do this 20 years ago to our XC ski shoes cause they had no insulation and it was cheaper than commercial overboots.

Try:

http://www.e-screamingeagle.com/pitstop.htm  

Killdeer, glad to have you on one of my threads. Seems when you post scores follow   ;)  

Leg
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
I will try the Lavelin.    I've tried every type of boot and sock I can and still cant keep my feet warm while hunting.    I've all but given up hunting late season because of it.

I could have a wall full of bows for what I've spent on footwear over the last twenty something years.    :banghead:
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
mickey mouse boots you can get em at military surplus stores best cold weather boot ever. I have worn them in -45 degree weather climbing power poles and my feet stayed warm. Have had water come over the top and into the boot in sub freezing wweather and my feet stayed warm.
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
Two-heat packs placed in the front of your pants at the belt line will heat the blood going through your femoral arteries. This will help keep your feet and body’s core warm.

I tried the antiperspirant on my feet this past weekend and it worked great. My feet did not sweat. Thanks Tradgang! This is the only place that I have seen a solution for this problem.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
I've used the antiperspirant before with great results also.

Another foot saver that can be used in the winter and/or summer is duct-tape. I have my kids use duct-tape on their heels "BEFORE" they get the blisters when they plan on useing ice skates and hunting boots. The key here is applying the duct-tape directly to your skin/foot "BEFORE" you go hunting and do it every time/day.

good luck!!
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
Mickey Mouse Boots work great, Make sure you get the one with the air valves on the sides.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
I did a search on dogpile for the lavillin or laviun. You will see a underarm kind like pitstop and a foot deodorant. I use them both.
I then use mickey mouse boots as mentioned above. I just use regular socks. If it gets down below 20 or 10 or so, I use my heater body suit. I have used this suit for 8 years or so and just ordered another. I have use the micky mouse boots for about 20 years.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
A heat pack down the back of my shirt sitting on my kidneys is the best saty warm trick I have found yet.

Kidneys stay warm, back doesn't clench up, shivers don't start.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
Great thread. I'm enjoying the tips!
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
The above link of screaming eagle sells the underarm formula. The foot laviun comes in a green container. I ordermine from a health place in CA.
Once again, look at the heater body suit. In 15 degrees, I fall asleep. I know there costly but its better than freezing. I have a vest that I have pockets sewed in and I place large warmers in the vest. One in the middle of the back and one over each kidney. I also put one under my hat at the base of my neck. I just wish I could hunt til the end of January like I use to. The late season was challengeing but also very productive for me.

Offline jfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
Great info.  I have a friend who always gets cold feet.  Can't wait to share this with him..

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
One pair ultra thin silk liners a pair thin wool socks then mids then heavy. Minimum 1400 gram or better with toe warmers in the base. KOM gators then slip some warmers in on top of the foot. Lastly large hand warmers in each pant pocket. You can stick it out in damp 0 temps all day. Just add some extra warmers later in the day. Make sure you buy big boots!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »
Go to Walmart or Kmart or one of the other upscale clothes stores and get a turtleneck dickie.  Great little item that adds a bunch to keeping warm in the morning and then comes off for the drag out.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 12:15:00 AM »
Hey been wearing the Mickey Mouse boots for about 20 years and they work very well indeed.  Just wanted to drop a quick comment on them since I saw a suggestion to get the ones with the air valves on the side.  Unless you change altitudes a lot (ie. air plane or mountian climbing) I would suggest not getting the ones with the air valve.  The valve is simply to equalize pressures at altitude of you hadnt guessed already and if you happen to leave an air valve open and walk in water the water gets the encapsulated insulation wet and they are about impossible to get dry again.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 12:24:00 AM »
Any sources to get the mickey mouse boots? I liked em when I was in the army. My feet didn't get cold guarding the ammo pad in Grafenwoer Germany (Spelling? don't know how to do an umlaut on my keboard)  in the winter.

Also what works better for a base layer; polypro, nylon, or silk?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©