3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold weather hunting-couple of cheap tricks to stay warm  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold weather hunting-couple of cheap tricks to stay warm
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 01:34:00 AM »
Here is a post I made a short time ago about this subject.
  Cold Weather Primer
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
Any one treied one of these?? Not the vest but the strip-suit thingy.

http://www.bodywarmer.com/

Offline GR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
I agree, you must stay dry. antiperspirant or powder works great. Polypro or thermasilk as a base, head to toe. Couple of my tricks are to place hand warmer on the back of my hands (in between layers of gloves) and/or toe warmers on the underside of my arms (between elbow and armpit). For my feet, hand warmers in front pockets, polypro and #*!&!wool socks. If I'm wearing rubber boots I fill the dead space (above ankles) with an strip of wool to prevent any heat from escaping. I also laundry my socks inside out, this helps the little loops pop back up and really helps keep your feet dry and warm. Keeping your layers flat (shirts tucked in).
The most Important is to keep your core and head warm.

Offline Hook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by BamBooBender:
Any sources to get the mickey mouse boots? I liked em when I was in the army. My feet didn't get cold guarding the ammo pad in Grafenwoer Germany (Spelling? don't know how to do an umlaut on my keboard)  in the winter.

Also what works better for a base layer; polypro, nylon, or silk?
I see the boots from time to time in The Sportmans guide catalog

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
I agree with Fletcher, I like to have my dickie around my neck, keeps me warm.  Also, I use a pair of "wrist gaiters" for lack of a better term.  They are like socks with the toe end cut off and a thumb hole to keep them in place.  They go on before my outer layer and under my gloves.  Keeps the drafts out.
The best stay warm tip I can think of is to get on a
plane and head to Moloka'i to hunt...

Offline Longbeard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
If you don't have to walk far, or can carry everything to your hunt location, try a pair of neoprene chest waders under your outer layer.  Walk in wearing the lightest clothing you can get away with.  Add the waders  as part of your layering, then your outer clothing. If you can stand in a trout stream for hours during the early spring, think about how it will help stay warm when the snow starts to fly.

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
One of the greatest things going for staying warm on stand is a thermacare heat wrap. The kind that goes around your waist. If you get cold lean your back against the tree, to hot lean forward alittle. The second plus if you wear real tight it pulls your gut in makes you look thinner in deer camp. LOL
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
I agree with Fletcher, I like to have my dickie around my neck, keeps me warm
Kevin you are the man... when I get cold things just shrink.

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
A friend of mine turned me on to these a few years ago after getting tired of hearing me constantly complain about cold feet. Not even my 1,200 gram Thinsulate boots would keep my feet warm when the temperatures get under 40 degrees (gotta love frostbite as a kid).

Since I started using these, my feet always stay nice and warm. Even when it's below zero outside and I'm wearing 600-gram rubber boots.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
For your hands...Screaming Eagle Woolie Muff.  I've had mine for years and I never have to use heaters on the inside...course I only hunt to about 5 below here in Mass & Wisconsin.  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
I hear you Jeff. I like the newer self adhesive warmer packs. You can stick one to the inside of your jacket or bibs. (whatever you're wearing)

I also wear the merino wool blend "Sportsman" 2-layer underwear from Duofold. Good stuff. Traps a layer of warm air against your skin. Wool, wool, wool! Wool socks with boots that have room for your toes to move around. Fleece is pretty warm stuff too, but wool is the goods. Hand muffs are worth their weight in gold too. Just slip a heat pack in there and you may not even need heavy gloves! I have been out in pretty cold weather with just lightweight gloves on to cover my hands.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
I like the ThermaCare heat wraps that go around your waist/lowerback?kidneys.  The have a velcro belt closure, and they stay warm all day.

I put it on over first layer shirt, after I get to my hunting area.  Tried to put it on when I left house, had to stop car on the way to take it off cause it was too hot!  Works great!

LEe

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
In a basic survival book I read it said if your feet are cold put on a hat  , and if they are still cold then put on 2 hats . Heat rises , I usually wear Northern insulated rubber boots with a pair of wool socks , polyproplene underwear and layer some fleece over that with a good hat and I use the wool army glove surplus liners with the 3 fingers cut off , with this setup I was able to hunt all day today here with 25 degree temps and winds gusting to 35 mph, didn't get any deer but stayed warm . Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
Muff from Wally world works. the largest muscles in your body are the ones in your thighs.  Use a long WOOL coat to cover tha=ose muscles.  I think G Fred and Ron laClair sell them.  Those little white cotton gloves sold at Wally world are great for working outside-I was ice fishing in well below freezing temps with thema nd still had deterity.  Some of you that work in emergency rooms know those "sock" like cotton cloth things they put on your leg before a cast make exceleent neck gaiter or head warmers.  Beleive it or not gaiters can also keep you warm.  If you ddon't have gaiters, we used to use the 3 inch masking tape.  Fold your trousers and start wrapping just beloe the knee-slightly loosely and then down over your boots.  Easy to slide the knife just down the folded crease to remove. They can help seal in the heat in your lower legs.  You breath is also a place to conserve heat.  Cover your moutha nd nose to capture some of your heat as you exhale and pre-warm your incoming breath.  This is tricky and you can get a frosty moustace over this.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Legolas:

I agree with Fletcher, I like to have my dickie around my neck, keeps me warm
Kevin you are the man... when I get cold things just shrink.

Paul [/b]
Bwahahaha!  Nice one.

Offline chessieboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2007, 12:15:00 AM »
Best way to stay warm... shot your deer early.

Offline barebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2007, 05:34:00 AM »
I cut a back-pocket out of an old pair of jeans and sewed it into the back of my camo bibs so I can put one of those large heat packs "body warmer" in it. That helps to keep my whole back warm, especially if I press my back up against a tree. Then I put a “hand warmer” heat pack in each front pants pocket to keep my legs warm and my hands too when they get cold. I bought some socks at Gander Mountain that have pockets over the toes to put “foot warmers” into.
"Killing an animal is intrinsic to the hunt. It shouldn't be glorified, but conducted with respect and reverence..." - Gene Wensel _ Primal Dreams

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
**READ all of my previous post and here is the link to the suit.  www.heaterbodysuit.com  
Make a vest like I said with the pockets and put in the heat packs like pic above. They come in large size that last for 12 to 18 hours. Its the only way to go. I also use combination of ufrotte wool underwear and KOM. when you unzip the suit in 10 degree weather you can feel the heat rising out of the suit. For me its the only way to go when it gets below freezing......
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »
I have used military issue Mickey Mouse boots for 30 years. Look at what winter construction workers wear. I worked outdoor construction in any winter condition and wouldnt wear anything but them. Hunting, snowmobiling, ice fishing, tree stand. I have fallen thru the ice and had them fill with water, dumped them out and finished hunting. Socks were wet but my feet warmed back up. They last for years. No nasty wet liners to contend with and you can even wear them when the temperature fluctuates and gets warm out. Knee high wool morino socks work great in them. Make sure you get the Millitary Issue. They do make after market ones that I have heard are not as good. My first pair I bought in 1978 and was dated 1952 (Korean war issue). It took me 10 years to wear them out. You can get them at army surplus stores and I have seen them on a online auction place. My opinion is best winter boot investment you will ever make and they are less then $100.00.
Hey, and you can thank us guys on this post that reccomended them later. Cant beat that.
Danny J
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
Danny, I agree 100%, thats all I wear. I had several pairs stock piled to use the rest of my life but a house fire in 96 burnt them up. I really need to buy about 3 sets.  Tim in NC
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©