INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: AAAHHHH Fred helped ruin bows, if I could say it was'nt so  (Read 843 times)

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
AAAHHHH Fred helped ruin bows, if I could say it was'nt so
« on: December 26, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
I have posted some pictures of the 57 Kodiak I got off da auction site. When corresponding with the owners daughter. I mentioned if he had any paper work with it or history. To please let me know about it. I received in the mail from her today, which was mighty nice of her.    :scared:        :scared:    

What is really cool though is his picture on the front with a nice Muley. Wearing his trade mark hi tops. Thank god his borsalino got more attention than those sneakers    :)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: AAAHHHH Fred helped ruin bows, if I could say it was'nt so
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
I have several old archery "how to" books and they all endorsed the step-through and push-pull stringing methods that we scorn today.  

I agree, I like the hat much more than the Hi Top Converses, but hey, that was Fred.

He's snuck up on more game with those shoes than I ever will.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
I know, but it kinda makes ya wonder just who thought it up  :knothead:  I'm sure it goes back centurys in history. I have not had any of those Hi tops in years. I do remember them being pretty comfy though  :thumbsup:  For there time  :D

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 07:01:00 AM »
I should not even mention this as it can lead to disaster..Stepping thru your bow to string it actually is safe and OK.If its done correctly.You need a leg stringer or some sort of a loop.Like your belt I've even used a piece of wet rope.We can check that out this week.I may have a leg stringer still.May be good to go over it just incase.I broke my string in the field and had to use one.Hey lay off the Chuck Taylor hi tops you two...bowdoc

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »
I knew that would get a rise out of you.  

I think maybe I saw a pair pf All Stars on your feet in a picture from Canada maybe.  

LOL Good Morning Doc, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
Jack Howard used to market special shoes for sneaking up on game.  They were called "Pussy Footers".  Very guiet.

He had a bunch left over bu only in extreme large and small sizes.

Ray Roan bought a bunch of them an sent them down to Mexico as part of a church missionary clothing project.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
Were those the Jack Howard wresting shoe's Jack ?..Trap that pair has seen a better day.I will note one thing.They are great for sneaking up on game pending the weather conditions are dry.As soon a your walk in wet grass or step in a puddler its over.You got wet feet..really quick too.bowdoc

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
I always like Converse high tops, but they got to be "fashion" and now they are real pricey. Very soft and flexible sole for feeling the ground. Like Doc said, they get a bit squeeky in the wet.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
I guess, Doc.  I know Jack would not go into the field without them.  I wanted to get a couple of pairs but he did not have them in my size and he was not ordering more.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
Geeze Doc I thought when ya posted that, those where going to be your bowstinging shoes  :biglaugh:  Could'nt resist Doc LOL

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
I would think that the step-thru method goes back to stringing longbows back in the early days of the ELB. They had heavy, thick limbs and wouldn't be hurt to much by the method if done incorrectly. With the advent of thinner and narrower limbs on both longbows and recurves, the torquing that is possible with the step-thru method probably became problematic which is why we don't use it today.

Of course, this is all conjecture but it seems to make sense.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
Biggest problem with anyone recommending the step through method is most people can't follow instructions then want someone else to pay for their foo faa.
Having been blessed with the privilege of trying to write instructions for the masses and then follow up with customer service, I can honestly say there is a portion of our population than cannot pour the proverbial P*** out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
:biglaugh:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Guess what guys? When you take the US Archery and NFAA Instructor's course-whadduyathink' is their  method of teaching a student to string a bow? That's right-the step over toe hold!
And that is today-not 50 years ago. No push-pull and no bow stringer!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©