3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to set up tiller on an ILF system  (Read 550 times)

Offline bearhair

• Trad Bowhunter
How to set up tiller on an ILF system
« on: December 03, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
I recently purchased an ILF riser from Bob Morrison and a set of his limbs.  Shoots 42#@28".  I was wondering about playing with the tiller but I really don't know what to expect as far as what effect different tiller will have. I've only ever had a 1pc recurve.  

So I guess my question is, do I just set the tiller slightly positive for split finger and foorget about it or should I be tweaking it to find a "sweet spot"?  But then how will I know when I hit the "sweet spot" as far as tiller is concerned?

Thanks.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to set up tiller on an ILF system
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
Bearhair contact Bill Carlsen  he knows what he is doing, but better yet call Bob and he will tell. Shawn
Shawn

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
Most of em I have played with liked an even tiller and I shoot split finger. Against the rule but thats what I have found.
SL

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
A bow's tiller is usually has the lower limb shorter than the upper limb's tiller.If you don't want to mess with the tiller and want it to remain as is and want to increase poundage,always turn the poundage adjustment screws equal amounts.
Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
I set mine to even for three under or 1/8 pos.for split finger.Shouldn't have to adjust any more unless you are trying to compensate for bad form and then it would be better to fix your form.

The sweet spot comes from adjusting preload to match your draw length.You are trying to find the flat spot in the force curve and match it to your full draw anchor.The reason is that small variations in draw length won't have as much affect on arrow impact.

All that is fine but probably won't make any difference to the average shooter at 30 yards or under.If you can shoot a group at 30 yards that the shafts all touch it might be worth the effort.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
My Morrison ILF is set at even or 1/16" positive tiller top limb and I shoot split finger. Try different tiller and nock point combinations to get the lowest nock point and still get clean and straight arrow flight. Have found with my style of shooting that I get lower nock point with even or just slightly top limb positive tiller. Normal 1/8" creates higher nock point.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline bearhair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the explanation guys.  Now that I have my basement 15yrd range set up I'll have all winter to tinker.  Even though I know she isn't set-up perfectly she certainly is a sweet shooter.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
Just for fun, I put the top limb on the bottom and the bottom on top of my morrison shawnee. They're dakota limbs. I strung the bow and did not notice any difference at all. I told Bob about it and he just kind of laughed. I believe you can get any bow to shoot good by moving the nocking point up or down for proper arrow flight.
N/A

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
The safest thing to do, and the simplest, is what the folks at 3Rivers recommend for the Dalaa. Bottom out the limb bolts and then back them out 2 full turns. That is the maximum stress point for the limbs. At that point if you want to adjust the tiller/draw weight you can fine tune it to suit yourself. I find that even or zero tiller works very well for me and others....you may be different.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
I had my last fita rig set at even tiller.  I tinkered around a bit with it, but always came back to even.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
Also to add to what Bill said, ya can go to the DAS web site and it will explain alot as they have free downloads. Shawn
Shawn

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
i have both my DAS and Titan set to even tiller...
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©