INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: repro-deerslayer-ish  (Read 1283 times)

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
repro-deerslayer-ish
« on: December 28, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
Hi everyone.

A while back i asked anyone for measurements from a deerslayer. I got a couple of good replies. One in particular from johnnyrazorhead, that i screwed up because of a cell phone issue (sorry John). I also Had someone send me a PM asking me to show them what i came up with. I must of deleted it and for the life of me i cant remember who it was.

So i figured I would post a few pictures of one i finished about 2 weeks ago here for you guys to see. I know its not a collector, so if this doesn't belong here feel free to remove it mods.

Some things are not exactly deerslayer-ish but i started a new one that will be as close as to one as i can make it.

Matt

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: repro-deerslayer-ish
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
Very nice work!!!!

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
Very nice bow!I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you more help with your project but it looks like you did pretty good without it.Nels would be proud.Possible to make one for sale? I would be interested. Great job!!

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
Thanks TRAP. I actually sent this one to a guy in MO as a Christmas gift.

One thing i wonder about, was the way the limbs were tilled on an original. I have yet to see one, or a photo of one at full draw so the tiller was based off of a braced picture.

Like i said, its not exact, but i tried to get it close.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
What are some of the specs?  Wood species? length? draw weight?  How's it shoot?
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
Hi John, thanks. And you offered plenty of help. I appreciate it too. Not sure i could sell them, but i could definitely build you one. Don't know if you remember our first conversation, but maybe you would still be willing to honor your first offer? I'll send you a PM.

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
TRAP,
it seems to shoot middle of the road. But it's one of the smoother drawing bows I've shot. I was shooting for 55lbs but ended up with 45. The friend i sent it to didnt think it was that light, because of the early draw weight i think. He also said it shot pretty fast.

Its hickory on the back, yew core and an osage belly. Also it's 62" long if you measure straight across the tips (i think thats how they mesured those old bows). If you follow the tips, its 64".

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
Good looking bow right there..bowdoc

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
Nice work.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
wow great reproduction, how does it shoot?
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
Dang I wish I could string the Grum I have to check the tiller,but man I don't know about that.I would say your tiller looks great from the pics..good looking bow.bowdoc

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
Thanks guys, i appreciate the complements.

One thing about its shooting characteristics, It doesn't have any hand shock to speak of which is surprising to me. It seems that the brushnocks would make it have some hand shock.

Bowdoc, if i owned one in descent condition i don't think i would string it either. I've been looking for a good, old photo of someone shooting one but they seem to be hard to come by.

Offline koan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
Im the lucky guy in Mo. Thanks Matt! It really is a sweet bow...Brian

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
Is that why I got those Kodiak's? That's a sweet bow Brian.

Offline koan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
Nope, that aint why you trouble maker,lol

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
Brian, just remember, if that top limb lets go and a brushnock catches you on top of the head...you willingly took possession of it and i accept no responsibility for any injury you inflict on yourself     :p  J/K Have fun and kill something with it.

Thanks guys

Offline koan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
:eek:    :biglaugh:

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »
Matt – Very nice job on your Deerslayer! What did you name her?

With the stacked on end, alternating colors, in the handle and the alternating colors in the Brush Nocks, your Deerslayer would most closely resemble an “After Bear Grumley”, also refereed to as a “Rockford Grumley”. As I’m sure you know, Grumley used Refrigerator Plastic for the dark lamination in the handle. I have several “Rockford Grumleys” and really admire his diverse work for his brief period in Rockford. I haven’t shot any of Grumley’s Rockford bows, but will certainly shoot at least one of them some evening, after I have consumed enough aiming fluid.

This is my present shooter Grumley - a Bush Bow circa 1941, all original branded “BEAR PRODUCTS BY GRUMLEY”, (the PRODUCTS are still my favorites). Solid osage, rawhide back. Still a sweet shooter 68 years after the master himself, Nels Grumley, crafted her at Bear Archery in Detroit.

Actually, she is one of Nels first Bush Bows produced, (sorry guys serial numbers on Bear bows were not even thought of back then). I originally named her “Old Rawhide” but lately have been calling her “Bushy”. She performs great, regardless of what name I call her. Shot her this evening, hit every spot (I always pick big spots).

I know you wanted to see an action shot, but maybe this will help some. This evening can only send a photograph of Bushy strung up. I’m “home alone” for a few more days but as soon as the war department returns from vacation, I will get her to take an action shot for you.

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
Hi Wade, thanks. I jokingly called it a squirrel slayer because of the low draw weight  :)

I've seen two post bear Grumleys with the black stripes in the handle like you mentioned. Up until the other day I had no idea he used plastic in the riser until john mentioned it to me. He was kind enough to let me stop by and take a look at his collection and he has one like that.

I appreciate the photo. If you get a chance to take one at full draw that would be great.

Its amazing to me that after almost 70 years a pearson can still pick up a wood bow and shoot it or take it hunting.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
How does a person properly string up a Grumley? I have that signed Deerslayer here at the house that I would love to shoot.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©