INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Limb stability  (Read 403 times)

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
Limb stability
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
Hey all
Reading through some archery magazines from the '60s I picked up. This one in particular is Bow & Arrow July '66.

Tom Jennings, in tackle tips is talking about speed vs. limb stability, saying a good bow can be both fast and "stable". He describes a test by holding a braced bow by the grip and string nock upright and trying to move the string up and down. More than 3/8-1/2" up and down movement indicates unstable limbs.

OK, so I strung up an assortment of bows, a target polar, a bearcat, a dogleg Kodiak, a '60 and '62 Kodiak and a mid 60's Pearson Javelina.

Very little movement in all but the dogleg and the Javelina. Over an inch in both, flexing at the recurve portion of the limbs. These bows shoot and group well if I do my part.

So how do you define "stability", and how important is it?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Limb stability
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
I myself have tested it also over the years and the only thought I had was just want you said.If I'am on a roll and shooting really good then they all work great.I also believe if the nut on the handle comes lose none of them shoot good !!!!!!!! bowdoc

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Limb stability
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks Doc, I don't think I'll get too driven up over it either.
Seems like one of those nebulous terms the writers throw around. But Tom was a good designer.

And keep those nuts tight!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©