INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Damon Howatt Monterey  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Damon Howatt Monterey
« on: January 06, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Tell me more about the Howatt Monterey.  This particular one is in great shape...maybe a 9.2 of 10.

With the beefy riser, length, and white glass, I would normally have called this a target bow.  It's marked 55# and is more like a hunting weight.

Lon Scott

Offline Howattman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Damon Howatt Monterey
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
Lon,

Interesting story....The Monterey started out as a mid-range hunting bow, available only in 62" length and draw weights up to 75#.  In the late '60s/early '70s it was reincarnated as a target bow with lengths up to 69".  It was one of Howatt's top of the line target bows until it was discontinued around the time Martin bought the Howatt Plant in 1976.  Yours is a very early 1974 model.  

Mike
Resident Howattologist

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
Thanks for input Mike...you da man.   :thumbsup:  

Do you know what type woods were used in these risers? Rosewood of some kind?   :confused:
Lon Scott

Offline Howattman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
Various species of rosewood.
Resident Howattologist

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
The Monterey is a great bow.  Most were made in 62" but as Howattman said, some were longer, but rare.  The 62" models are identical to the Howatt Hunters but made with various laminations of rosewood for the riser.  

I have three 62" and one 66".  Two of my 62" modles are 50#.  One has black glass and one has dark green glass.  (t is unusual that they made a 55# with white glass.  It could have been a custom order for a stout guy that wanted a really heavy tournament bow.  With the white glass, I doubt it would have been ordered for hunting.

At 55# and 69" I would say yours is really rare.  How did you come by it?

Good find!!
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
Hi Jack,

Thanks for responding and hope all is well.

The bow was offered a few weeks ago in a classifieds from a fellow in eastern Oregon. I believe it was his dad's bow that was too heavy  for him to use hunting.

I put the brace at 7.75" and shot some 540 grain 2018's  Any recommendations for setting this bow up?

Was the 69" length not a standard for this bow?
Lon Scott

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Howattman is the one to ask about how to set up any Howatt bow.  Maybe he will chime in here.

I can handle 55# with no problem for hunting or 3-D.  Tournamnet shooting  (NAA - NFAA) is a whole 'nother program.  In 3-D you shoot one arrow at 30 targets...30 shots.  NFAA you shoot 4 arrows at 28 targets...112 shots.  NAA you shoot 5 arrows 6 rounds at three distances...108 shots.

Shooting a 55# bow for that many shots will flat out wear you out.  Especiall 4 or six arrors at a time per target.  Thats why most guys shot bows in the 30-40# range for tournaments.  The main thing here is accuracy.  With the right set of matched arrows, a light weight target bow is perfect.

3-D was designed to keep hunters in practice during the off season.  For this reason, they want you to use your actual hunting equipmet to shoot the 3-D targets.

Shooting a 55# will result in a flatter trajectory, especially on the longer shots.

Back in the day when I shot NFAA and NAA, there were guys that could shoot perfect rounds with no sightss.  Unfortunately, I was not one of them.

You have a very rare bow there.  Appreciate it.

Best I can suggest is that if you are going to shoot 3-D, get away from the heavy arrows.  A lighter arrow that is spined for 55# should really "ZIP" with a flat trajectory.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Howattman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
Hi Jack,

Thanks for responding and hope all is well.

The bow was offered a few weeks ago in a classifieds from a fellow in eastern Oregon. I believe it was his dad's bow that was too heavy and long for him to use hunting.

I can handle 55# very well, but when they get close to 60# and more, it's an effort.  I have no doubt this hog is 60# or more.  

I put the brace at 7.75" and shot some 540 grain 2018's, but did notice a bit of handshock.  Any recommendations for setting this bow up?

Was the 69" length not a standard for this bow?
Lon,

Try running the brace height up to 8".  That may help some.

69" was a standard offering for this model.

Mike
Resident Howattologist

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice. The higher brace helped a little as did going to 2020 arrows. It's just too much pull for this ole fart.
Lon Scott

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
That's Beautiful bow Lon,  Nice find.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
HOWATTMAN

You need to chime in here more ofter,  I get a lot out of your posts.  Always want to learn more about Howatt bows.  

You add a lot here.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
I'd like to learn more about them as well.  They are gorgeous bows.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
Bette than Bears.

Let's see what that comemnt will start.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
Jack - In your post of February 11, 2009 08:10 AM, you stated...

"Bette than Bears."

"Let's see what that comemnt will start."

Jack - I assume the first word of you post was intended to be "Better" ???

You will have to explain the criteria that you used to make the comparison to make that statement?

Why don't you start by using your criteria to compare the 1959 Kodiak to the comparable hunting bow in the 1959 Howatt line...

The ultimate judge of the 1959 comparison will probably be the conclusion of Trap's Happy Birthday 59 thread, where we will all be able to see how many 1959 bows by each bow maker were actually used 50 years after they were produced. Have any 1959 Howatt bows been posted on that thread yet?

Guess we will be able to call the bow on the Happy BD 59 thread with the most posted photographs, "Still better after 50 Years".

After you have finished the 1959 Kodiak vs Howatt comparison, I will compare some 1940s Howatts to 1940s Bear Grumleys...

Do you believe that the 1940s Howatt bows were better than the 1940s Bear Grumley bows ?

Jack - You knew I would not let this attempted miscarriage of justice pass without comment... You have to be smiling, knowing you are stirring the pot...

It will be interesting and fun to see a fair comparison by each specific year, that is if we can get an actual comparison rather than opinions and unsupported statements.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Rich - No dis-respect intended, but your general statements does not address any specific comparisons by year...

Which of the 1959 bows that you mentioned, do you consider better than the 1959 Bear Kodiak... ???

Show us photographs and tell us what makes that 1959 Bow better than a 1959 Kodiak...

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
Rich - Not much science involved if a person states that they believe the multi-colored traverse and parallel riser laminations in a Ben Pearson Palomino make it a better looking bow than a Kodiak of the same year, and that person also posts a photograph of both bows to support their belief.

If a person makes a comparison between bows, the facts should be fair and accurate.

Not much science involved in comparing photographs.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
You guys make me  :bigsmyl:
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
WADE

Sorry to be so late with this.  Just noticed your challenge.

Well now we have the old addage  "If ya cain't take the heat, git outta the kitchin"  :knothead:  

I openned my mouth, now I gotta justify it.

First off, everyone here knows that I can't spell, and am the worst at proofing.  If you see a post with my avatar, and everthing is spelled correctly, with perfect grammer, you know it is a forgery.

As far as the '59 Bears vs 59 Howatts go, I was not into the sport at that time, and my comment was based on my personal experience in the late '60's. In 59 I was shooting a flat bow, hand made by the Cherokee Indians that I bought on vacation in Gatlinberg, TN.  You know what I am talking about. My matched arrrows consisted of three cedar arrows, One 5/16 with a field point, one 11/32 with a target point, and one 5/16 with a target point. zThe bow was probably about 15#. So much for my knowledge of the proper balance of equipment in that year.

My response "Bette than Bears" was probably an unjustified statement, but I always though, back in the '60's that Howatts were better bows than Bears.  I shot a '68 Bear Tamerlane in NFAA and NAA competition, and envied the guys with the Del Rey's,Palomars, etc.  I bought my bride a Howatt Monterey, and was very impressed with it. I hunted with a '64 Kodiak, and later a '68 Super Kodiak.  I thought the guys that had the Howatt hunting bows, had better bows than me.  Personal opinion.

Now back then, I was "PO FOLK" and had really stretched my budget to get the Tamerlane.  I was not affluent nough to turn around a buy a Howatt once I had invested about $175.00 in my Tamerlane, and $60.00 in my Super KOdiak. So I just stuck with the Bears and drooled over everyon elses Howatts.

As Rich stated "Better than this or that, is again purely personal choice".  Can't tell ya how much drool I got on the pages of Archery Magazine staining the ads for the Jack Howard Gamemasters. Most teenagers of that time period were causing the pages of Playboy to get stiuck together with their excitement.  Mine were Archery Magazine, TAM, Bow & Arrow, and later Bowhunter Magazines.  I only ever saw one arcehry ad in Playboy (May 1978 ?) so it was not worth my time.

I have never pretended to hold the expertise of you, bowdoc, Rich, or anyone else on this forum.  I put my two cents in and cross my fingers.  I have been wrong a lot, and as a result, learned a lot.

When you pick up the 1960's record book of the top Tournament Archers, most were shooting VBears, Hoyts, and some Ben Pearsonsd (Sovereigns).  Those were the common bows on the tournament lines.  But you cannot discount the quality of the Damon Howatts, Bud Hitts, Dickie Roberts, and many others.  Bears, Pearsons, Wings, and Hoyts were the big boys with the big names. However, those lesser  know brands certainly made their mark on out sport.

IN MY OPINION...the Damon Howatt bows were prettier, better balanced, smoother shooting, more stable, and just all around finer bows than Bears.

Papa Bear did more for the Sport of archery than any man that ever lived.  His hunting exploits, his support of top shooters like Frank Gandy, Gentleman Jim Pickering, and Owen Jefferies kept the Bear name out front on the tournament line.  He was a Master Marketer.

So, to put any controversy to rest, let me restate my comment.

In my humble, uneducated, ignorant, and probably disrespected opinion.  

"HOWATT BOWS WERE BETTER THAN BEARS"

Even spelled "better" right this time...getting better.

OK, "a;drgj" Had to spell something wrong or it might have been mistaken for a "forgorery"

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »

You da man Jack!  :thumbsup:

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »
Jack – Thank you so much for your well thought out, straight forward, concise, humorous, and very well written post.

You stated…

“my comment was based on my personal experience in the late '60's.”

Had those words been incorporated into your original statement to make a sentence with a specific date, something like this….

“HOWATTS WERE BETTER THAN BEARS DURING THE MID 1960'S, ON… IN MY OPINION...the Damon Howatt bows were prettier, better balanced, smoother shooting, more stable, and just all around finer bows than Bears DURING THAT ERA.”

You certainly would not have gotten a rise out of me… because I would have agreed with you…

I have been trying to get someone to specifically state the years of bows that they were comparing. I can’t thank you enough for doing just that.

If you had said that 1940s Howatts were better than the 1940s Bear Grumley bows, I would have totally and completely disagreed with you, and posted photographs to prove the point beyond any doubt. Howatt’s 1940s bows that I have owned and seen, are crude when compared to 1940s Bear Grumleys.

I don’t’ know enough about 1950s Howatt bows to have an opinion as to how they stack up against Bear’s early 1950s static Kodiaks, then Bear’s early working recurves of the mid 1950s, then Bear’s 1959-60 Kodiaks.

In my opinion, the 1953 St. Charles Thunderbird was a better looking and better performing bow than Bear’s 1953 Static Kodiak. See Jack, - I am a realist, interested in facts, not just another “Blind Bear Hound”.

Jack – if anyone can make a claim for 1959 bows as eloquently as you did for the late 1960s bows, I’m certain everyone will believe the 1959 Howatt was better than the 1959 Kodiak…

I’m looking forward to someone posting facts and photographs to substantiate that a 1959 Howatt was better than the 1959 Kodiak….

If such facts and photographs are not posted, what are we to believe… ???

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©