INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Walnut Prototype Signature Bear TD  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Walnut Prototype Signature Bear TD
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
WOW!!!   :notworthy:    360122366172

No competition from me on this one,    :eek:   but definetly a rare opportunity for "somebody" to drool!

>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Walnut Prototype Signature Bear TD
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »
Sb are you sure thats actually a bear archery item ?? I myself am going to call bull shrimp on wade on this one.I will need to see the Bear Archery paper work on that bow.That riser was cut on a Bear C riser form and if you look how the sockets are mounted I am inclined to believe that riser was built by a former Bear Archery bowyer after the fact.Hell it don't even fit in the box....thats more like a 500.00 shooter riser then a rare collectable....bowdoc

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
I visited a man who had some interesting Fred Bear items. Two of the items were a walnut and ebony takedown handle. I was told they were prototypes. He also had one of Freds hunting bows. He has a website with all his amazing items.
Dean

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Mooseran...one is Frank Scotts B handle..bd

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Guys, that's one of two walnut prototypes built by Owen Jeffery in the 60s prior to the first production runs of the style 1 TD. Moose Rancich owns the other one. Its identical and was verified by Owen. Check with Moose or Owen...Grant

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
I'll add that I do question the inscription on the riser because it doesn't look like Owen's hand and I'll add that its possible Owen built this bow later BUT it is identical to the pair of prototypes he built in the developmental stages of the clothespin latch takedowns after they decided that the model Fred used to take the Cape Buff was too expensive to market due to the cost of machining the limb sockets. You can see that bow on Bear's "History of the Bow and Arrow" video.Owen told me once that they made bunches of variations before they got one that Fred was happy with; a couple even had steel rods through the risers ala Jack Howard. For what its worth only,         Grant

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Doc, I just post 'em as I find 'em FYI...I'll let you experts determine the authenticity and/or values of what I find!   :notworthy:  

That's how we ALL learn- (until somebody writes a BOOK with all this priceless info).   :pray:  

:)  
>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
Mike StJohn and George Johnson both make Bear take downs in eather A or B......both have sockets in eather black or goldplate.I noted the empty presation case was purchased off gbay last year.The walnut case would have been from the 80's as well ??? just wondering..bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
I also wanted to add I wish Jack the very best during his trying times over his sister.However if he were able to load some pics of the Jim Brackenberry ie Bear take down Jim built.Schaff also was known to have made maybe half a dozen himself...bd

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
I've seen some of those BD- there was a St.John up for sale a couple years ago that was pretty nice; pretty much a Sig. with black hardware. The thing about most of the reproductions I've noticed is the way the socket seats into the riser. I've never seen one that really looks like a factory bear- the base of the socket always seems to protrude more from the wood of the riser and doesn't look quite as sleek as the real deal. The hardware-as you know- on the first TDs from '69- 7? was milled from steel and the hardware on the later models is cast alloy and a bit thicker looking. What makes me think this bow probably came from Grayling is the way the socket is recessed, even if the glue lines aren't as clean as one usually finds on the Bear TDs. Owen built a Bubinga and Walnut B riser for me in '88 that has the same bulky socket issues I just mentioned because he had to improvise when cutting the recessed sockets- Bear, of course- had machines specifically designed for that job and it made a difference. Interesting stuff, ain't it?                 Grant

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
I was just talking to Wade last night, the seller of this riser. ( We were making plans for another spring bear hunt up here in a few months).  I know where he acquired this riser and I can't believe it is not an authentic Bear item. Wade is a certified appraiser and one of the leading authorities, if not THE leading authority regarding archery collectibles. In this auction Wade even shows the riser next to his signature riser so you can see it is not the shaped the same.

I sent Wade an email this morning with a link to this thread attached, maybe he will chime in.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Abear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
If I knew it was an early jeffery riser proto I would take it but it is a hard decision to make It does look like the one moose has tho...let me know anyone because I am really interested in this bow! I need more opinions

Offline Abear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
HMMM Not anymore I dont have 10 grand on me now LOL

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
One thing I just noticed is how the glass on the belly side of the walnut bow in the auction comes to a point at the base of the grip,kind of like the signature bow, whereas the one Fred is holding is more squared off.Interesting stuff for sure.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
Wade re-wrote the description for his auction and explains exactly what Grant was saying about it being an early Owens prototype. I know of some other prototype handles with brass bears on the back of the latches that are pretty cool too. Anyone know anything about the brass bear latch handles?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 05:53:00 AM »
I'am still saying I would sure like to see that paper work.Both Mike and George's bows look the same as the one in the pic.With no proof of ID.Just another bow to me and may not have been made by Bear at all.The box was purchased off gbay as I saw wade buy it.The handle built in the 70's and the box in the 80's ?????? just wondering.bd
Chuck I did add brass bear archery tie tac's to several take downs latches I worked on over the years.Hey I wonder if Wade has any of them hummmmmmmmmmmm......bd

Offline Abear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
The brass bears were cut by fred hinself or so I was told he machined the bear out of along piece of brass and cut them one at a time I believe there was only enough for 10 bows or so they are on the very early production bows 1000-1010

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
Yes Abear those are the brass bear handles I am talking about, John has one I think. They are the next generation of prototypes for the type I B-handle.

Hey Don, I remember those tie tacs....   :thumbsup:  

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
Heck yes Chuck I forgot how nice those gold bears looked on the T/D's..bd

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Seems now he pulled the bow from the auction and has a $1000.00 Buy It Now for just the box.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©