INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: MAPLE SIGHT WINDOW '59 HAS ARRIVED  (Read 3040 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
MAPLE SIGHT WINDOW '59 HAS ARRIVED
« on: January 09, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
well,
 Today has been a wonderful day so far.Besides being Friday,I just got back from the Flint,Michigan area with some wonderful old archery items that were from the estate of A.J. Michelson.He was past president of the N.F.A.A.,the N.A.A.,Michigan Bowhunters,and helped draft legislation for the first Michigan B&A season in Michigan in 1937.He was a bigwig in the early days of bowhunting.Then I get home,and the mailman came to my door with my long awaited package of the '59 maple sight window Kodiak I bought on e*** awhile back.I said I would post some pics and wanted to get Bowdoc's opinion on the bow.The tips were replaced and look good.At least I think they do.Let me know what y'all think.Here's the first pic of the riser.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: MAPLE SIGHT WINDOW '59 HAS ARRIVED
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Scraped off the old,ratty rugrest and put on a new one.I thought of going with the feather rest which would have been more original to the bow but I do plan on shooting this one and go back and forth between the feather rest and a rugrest.So this one got the rugrest.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
looks great but the shelf is on the wrong side.

ENJOY I bought last summer. Shoots good and look's better.

doug77

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
Here's one of the coin side of the riser.The bow is in pretty good shape other than some stress lines,mostly on the belly side of the lower limb.I am very pleased with he bow so far.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
Alright Bowdoc. What do you think of the re-tip job?Looks good to me considering they're wood.May go with some of that new micarta material doc just got to make it look more original but we'll see.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
Very nice John-congratulations, Specs?  Grant

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
And here's the other tip.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
Here is my biggest concern,the stress lines on the lower limb belly glass.I know this is pretty common on these old Kodiaks but is it anything I should be concerned about?Anythnig I should do(ie..loctite 420)I did string it and pull it back.Limbs are straight.What is your opinions.Thanks.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
looks good! let us know she shoots.  :cool:

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
I will do that after the blizzard is over.C'mon spring!!

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
good looking bow.

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
Beautiful bow
I'd like it with the new material, but then I'm not impartial. lol
             Kurt

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
How deep are the string grooves cut into the limb-cores? That is your achilles heal on these bows and would be area of concern if you are going to be shooting it frequently. Just my $.02
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
That brings up an interesting point Chuck.  

Not trying to hijack John, but recently Val Sorrentino's cousin sold a bow that Val had apparently been in the process of refinnishing.  

The bow was an early 59 with the string groove cut through the fiberglass and into the core wood. It looked like Val had put a layer of fiberglass in the groove to reinforce it.  Is this necessary on the early 59s?  

Very nice bow John.  Those tips look nice but I think I'd go red and white.  Wasnt that a 52#er.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys.These maple sight windows are very nice looking.Chuck,the string grooves aren't cut real deep like I've seen on some other '59 Kodiaks so hopefully that won't be an issue.I've got the bow strung now but I'll unstring it and post a pic of the string grooves to see what you think.Thanks,any information helps.I certainly don't want to break this bow but I do want to shoot it.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
Grant and Trap.The bow is a 60" model,48#.I think the red and white micarta would look better too but these tips are o.k. for now.At least until I get to shoot it a bit then I'll send it away to be re-done.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Chuck,here's a picture of one of the string grooves.Don't know if the picture is good enough for you to see with the flash or not.Do you think it looks too deep?

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
The earliest ones were cut through clear out to the ends of the "Y". That one does not appear to be, making it one of the late early ones! What are the numbers? I'm guessing BB or BC. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Doc will chime in and tell you that the only real problem with those particular ones was that the sharp edged points on either side of the string nock wanted to catch on things and sometimes come loose. I understand it's an easy fix if it doesn't go too far. Yours looks pretty safe from where I sit! CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©