INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: MAPLE SIGHT WINDOW '59 HAS ARRIVED  (Read 3041 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: MAPLE SIGHT WINDOW '59 HAS ARRIVED
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
Hey John that is not one of Al's bows(why to heavy for Al)the 1957 I had here and just wanted to show you how the compass and bushings were done.
I dout Bear Archery would have used wood overlays.If a bow from or before 1959 had been sent back for repairs after 1959 I'am pretty certin Bear would have used the same type fiberglass used from 1960 on...bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
Thanks for the pics doc.It seems that you don't have to remove much wood to install a compass as  they are rather thin but the quiver bushing is nother story.I just read in a Bear brochure I believe it was,about installing a quiver bushing.Once you drill the hole you need to clamp the bow in a vise,gently with some padding of course,and put some pressure on the bow befoe screwing the bushing in.Maybe alot of the do-it-yourselfers didn't do this and caused a split in the wood.I've got an old Grumley Custom osage Deerslayer that I believe had a quiver insert added after the fact.The leather grip has been replaced quite awhile back as it looks aged to the bow and there are some small dowel like protrutions under the leather where the riser was repaired back together.I'l bet the original owner decided to do it himself and split the osage riser.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
I deleted the original picture of Fred's bows in my photobucket so maybe that's why the picture was deleted in my earlier post.So for those that still want to see them I took another photo.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
John
The center prototype is a holy grail bow, wonder if anyone knows where that one ended up?
Thanks for re-posting your picture.
Those 5 give me the willies
   Kurt

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
Kurt I was thinking Ass Pro Shop got the middle bow when they bought the musium.
Funny how Fred never used a 1961-1962 in to many promo's...Most everyone I ever talked with about Fred's bows said he was really parshil to the mighty 1959 Kodiak prior to the T/D's.bd

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
I wonder if he always shot the 59s without a leather grip?

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
Kurt and bowdoc,
 I dug up an old photo I had taken at the Bear Museum when it was still in Gainesville,probably sometime in the mid 1990's.It's a display of Fred's hunting bows,some of the same ones ahown in the poster.The proto take-down is clearly visible in the picture so as doc said,Bass Pro Shop most likely ended up with it.
 Your welcome Kurt for re-posting the pic.It gives me the willies too!I just want to get naked and roll around with those bows.(Did I say that out loud.Sorry.)LOL
 Trap- All of the old pics I've seen of Fred with a '59 Kodiak shows them without a leather grip.Guess he preferred the feel of the wood.
 Here's the pic I hope.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Are these bows on display at Bass Pro Shops in Springfield MO?  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
Double D(Trap),
 I hope you don't mind me calling you that after I saw doc do it I thought it was cool.I don't know if Bass Pro has them displayed or not,I haven't been there or heard.They seem to be taking a long time to get the stuff out there.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
Yup, Out loud John, but no one here will hold it against you.

Wonder if we can find out on the internet...Ill be right back
            Kurt

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
Links are down that are listed for Archery Hall of Fame and Museum.

Oh well Trap,if your ever driving by it, might be worth a stop and see

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
That's fine John, I don't mind at all.  I've been called a heck of alot worse.     ;)  

Kurt, I have "people" in Springfield.  I'll have them keep us posted.

Trap

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
Oh you think Johnny's sick for getting naked and rolling around on Fred's bows.
When the P&Y musium was sold.I got to go and help pack up the whole musium for shipping.Glenn asked if I would like to pack up the Pope and Young display...If I tell you guy's about sticking my tongue on Samba Blood and licking the DNA off please don't tell anyone as they may think I'am a little weird.Tasted like dust........bd

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Sadly, I don't think there's a cure for this affliction.  

John, please do not post pictures should you ever get the opportunity.

Trap

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Bowdoc-
Now I know why I like you so much.We're both demented!!

Trap- Don't worry,I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy.I'm bad but not THAT bad.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
You know as long as we are on the subject....one thing that did bug me just a little over the last 25 years...Fred was never ever seen shooting a maple sight window 1959..it just seemed odd how everyone even myself at one point were pretty certin the no coin no coin hole maple sight windows were the first 1959...I just can't figure out why Fred did not have one himself....hummmmmmmmmmmm bd

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
With all due respect, Thank You Sir.   ;)  

Trap

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
BowDoc - I have never thought the no coin, no coin hole maple sight window was the first 1959 Kodiak made.

With all due respect, why would you or anyone else believe that????

Check your 1959 Bear Catalog... above the hunting scene photos on both the front and rear cover, a Dark Rosewood Sight Window 1959 Kodiak is shown, same for the photographs on page 5 of the 1959 Catalog.

The facts suggest that that Dark Rosewood Sight Window was the first 1959 Kodiak produced for sale.

I can offer additional facts if you wish to hear more concrete evidence than the 1959 Catalog…

Most respectfully - Wade
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
Yes please I would love any info anyone has on 1959's.Some of the thought was a few 1959's were produced prior to the catalog being printed.Late 1958-ish before to the Bear coin.One former worker from Bear I interviewed told me Bear archery or Bear's R&D was testing the 1959 Kodiak in oct.or nov.of 1958.He could not recall if it had a coin or not.I would think the first 1959's had no coin.I have seen several without coin or hole for coin ??? keep me posted bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
here is a sample of two Grizzly's one has no coin no coin hole and tip overlays look more 1958 then 1959.The no coin bow serial number is FA and the one with coin is FF both original.bd  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©